VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
    Search PM
    Hi everyone, i hope i'm not making another thread for nothing, but i couldn't find anything related to my request(and questions).
    I'm willing to translate a whole video (whole channel actually), so because i'm very new to this, i was thinking that the best strategy would be something like:
    1)extract the whole "audio" from a video (more like the voices and everything that needs to be translated) into a text
    -in this case i was thinking about something like, a software that would detect it automatically, and give you the text form, not a big deal if is incorrect..
    do you guys have any suggestions about it ?
    2)translating it in the language i prefer
    3)then last, creating a .srt file from subtitleEdit with the content that i have made.
    what do you guys think about it ? how do you guys actually work in this case ? i would love to hear someone well-versed in this field, i'm starting this from scratch.

Thanks a lot to everyone
    Last edited by misrepresented; 18th Nov 2020 at 16:07.
    Quote Quote  
  2. 1-2) That's pretty much what Youtube does (it uses webvtt instead of srt and has a subtitleEdit like Interface).
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Speech to text translation is far from perfect, especially when the speaker has an accent. I forget the channel, but there was a YouTube video where the speaker was talking with a heavy Irish or Scottish accent and the English translation was hilarious because it tried to have the translation make contextual sense.

AFAIK, the best translators listen to the audio and directly translate from there. For example court stenographers or live closed caption editors. Too many contextual nuances in any language.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Multiple steps are involved with increasing complexity:
    Speech detection (word timings) < Text-To-Speech (Language A) < Translate (Language A to B)

You shouldn't expect Automatic Translating from an imperfect input to achieve good results.
    Quote Quote  
  5. It's being done.

Simon Says and Rev Services both do a creditable job in multiple languages with humans backing up the AI. YouTube as mentioned is cheap and dirty but requires a lot of tinkering. Fortunately more subtitling software is accepting vtt files. The Technology is being built into Adobe Premiere soon (though there's no indication if there's an additional charge.) As always, the better the quality of your sound the better the output.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by butterw View Post
    You shouldn't expect Automatic Translating from an imperfect input to achieve good results.
    still, is better than nothing
    Originally Posted by lingyi
    AFAIK, the best translators listen to the audio and directly translate from there. For example court stenographers or live closed caption editors. Too many contextual nuances in any language.
    point is, i was thinking that have a text written down in english, could me help me better, and stress me less than a sort of like "live" translation for each phrase.
    thanks for the suggestions, i'll save this thread
    i might not have the prettiest smile,or the biggest muscles..or the warmest heart, or anything..whatever. i have nothing, leave me alone
    Quote Quote