VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search PM
    I've the following issue:

On a Telenet Digicorder, I've recorded a nowhere to find movie from the channel "Eclips TV". Because it's nowhere to find, I like to keep this movie and store it in MP4 (or MKV) format.
    So, it's a 16:9 format movie.
    I connect a Panasonic DVD-recorder (DMR-EH69) on this Telenet digicorder by Scart. Digicorder is told to be connected to a 16:9 tv and scart RGB output.
    I record in XP quality on the DVD-recorder. So far so good.

When I playback this DVD on a regular DVD recorder, I see two black bars left and right on my tv screen. This for 2 seconds; after that I get a normal 16:9 picture (strange).

I don't have a computer with video-in features, so I have to record first on DVD. This DVD into my iMac's DVD reader (running MacOS catalina). Then I try to rip this DVD to the MP4 format using UniConverter. I succeeded, but playing back this MP4 file, gives left and right two black bars. I've no possibility to stretch this picture on my Loewe Bild 5 tv.

Opening the editing functions of UniConverter, I can see those two black bars in the preview screen. No matter which target screen I choose, it's not possible to fill the complete 16:9 screen.

How could I solve this?

Thanks,
    Gert
    Quote Quote  
  2. I do not know the UniConverter.
    When converting, can you specify an aspect ratio (AR/DAR) somewhere in the settings? If yes, then enter 16:9 or 1.7778 there.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search PM
    [Attachment 55675 - Click to enlarge]

In this screen normally I can make changes in the aspect ratio.
    Sorry, it's a Dutch UniConverter...

My DVD recorder seems to store it in 768x576. 4:3 format, right?
    In the upper picture you see an orange rectangle. You can make it smaller, but it's not possible to stretch it. I've already had similar situations were I stretch the rectangle to 16:9 and the output gives a correct 16:9 picture. For one stupid reason, it's not possible to stretch this.

In the flip down menu under Aspect Ratio, you can choose between 16:9; 4:3, pan&scan etc... In this movie file doesn't do a change to this nothing.
    About your question: I can do this, but it doesn't give any result.
    Quote Quote  
  4. PAL DVD supports only 720x576, 704x576, 352x576, or 352x288 frame sizes.

Originally Posted by raverke95 View Post
    When I playback this DVD on a regular DVD recorder, I see two black bars left and right on my tv screen. This for 2 seconds; after that I get a normal 16:9 picture (strange).
    Upload the first ~10 seconds of a recording.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Originally Posted by raverke95 View Post
    Change this setting to 720x576 and 16:9 below
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by ProWo View Post
    Originally Posted by raverke95 View Post
    Change this setting to 720x576 and 16:9 below
    Tried this with the result I've black bars above and under together with black bars left and right.

The first seconds of the video. This is converted with 768x576 and aspect ratio on full screen. If I enter 720x576 the result is the same. Just when changing aspect ratio to 16:9, I've got those black bars above/under and left/right.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/opw4gcw14ds5aqg/DVD_VIDEO_RECORDER_01_Title_01_Merge%282%29.mp4?dl=0
    Quote Quote  
  7. @admin please delete this post
    Quote Quote  
  8. You should have uploaded a sample of the DVD video, not the video after you improperly converted to mp4. The 720x576 DVD source should obviously be displayed as 16:9. It should be resized to 1024x576 and encoded square pixel. Or it should be encoded at the original 720x576 and flagged for 16:9 display. Samples attached.

Actually, since they are ITU caps they should be cropped to 704x576, then resized to 1024x576 or flagged for 16:9 display.
    Image Attached Files
    Last edited by jagabo; 2nd Nov 2020 at 06:37.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Originally Posted by raverke95 View Post
    Tried this with the result I've black bars above and under together with black bars left and right.
    The first seconds of the video. This is converted with 768x576 and aspect ratio on full screen. If I enter 720x576 the result is the same. Just when changing aspect ratio to 16:9, I've got those black bars above/under and left/right.
    Before encoding you must crop the video to 744x568 (left 12, top 4), then encode to 720x576, DAR 16:9. Then you have a result without black bars.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search PM
    It seems like the problem is solved.
    I followed your advise, but still the same problem.
    In UniConverter I always used the option: Convert all tasks to: original resolution. I switched this over to MP4 720P. With this setting and after selecting 16:9 in the Aspect ratio drop down menu black bars are away!
    Thanks for the support.
    Quote Quote