VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I have a Sony Andriod TV that has a defective USB system. Can I connect a USB A to HDMI, using a coupler to make it female, without damage to the HDMI ports?
    The connectors I found only have male connection.
    Quote Quote  
  2. No. HDMI and USB are completely different systems. If you want to view video files on your TV (with dead USB ports) you need a media player like the latest Chromecast with Google TV. Plug it into an HDMI port on your TV and start playing videos.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I can't think of any USB devices that one would normally connect to a USB port on a TV that would work when connected to HDMI. What USB device are you trying to attach to HDMI on your TV?

HDMI connections on a TV only accept uncompressed video and digital audio. Although some HDMI cables have the ability to provide an Ethernet connection, I have not heard of that feature being used yet for any TV. Normal HDMI connections supply a small amount of current to connected devices but since all versions of USB supply considerably more current, HDMI cannot substitute for USB power.
    Ignore list: hello_hello, tried, TechLord, Snoopy329
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    There is ONE exception: USB-C (v3.1, 3.2...) --> HDMI adapter. USB-C has a "Alternate HDMI" mode protocol that allows hdmi to piggyback on the usb serial signal until it gets to a converter/adapter.

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Cornucopia View Post
    There is ONE exception: USB-C (v3.1, 3.2...) --> HDMI adapter. USB-C has a "Alternate HDMI" mode protocol that allows hdmi to piggyback on the usb serial signal until it gets to a converter/adapter.

Scott
    True enough but the OP is looking for a USB type A female to HDMI adapter because there is something wrong with the USB system on his TV. I haven't seen any TVs with USB C yet. Monitors yes but no TVs.
    Ignore list: hello_hello, tried, TechLord, Snoopy329
    Quote Quote  
  6. Originally Posted by Cornucopia View Post
    Yes, but that requires a smart device at the USB end -- one that knows how to send video over USB to an active hub/converter that knows hot to convert that to HDMI. Smartphones and tablet devices often have such usb ports. I doubt that's what the OP has.
    Quote Quote