VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. First - I have converted an ISO to MKV and then wanted to see the mkv-output quality, i.e. whether or there any quality loss. Really, I have no idea.

So I played the mkv with MPC-BE - which is my default player.
    Made a screenshot full screen of a specific scene.

After that, in fact just as a try, I also played the video using MPC-HC and stopped at the same point and made a screenshot again (full screen) and was astonished that MPC-BE showed some quality loss over MPC-HC.

I agree, normally one would not notice this. Only when checking out quality loss and using different players and comparing at the very same point.

BTW ...
    [Off topic]

I tried/used MakeMKV - regretfully it requires to mount .iso files from HDD one by one (no batch possible). a 4.2GB iso file results in a 3.8GB .mkv
    I could also use TMPGEnc Video Mastering and then add jobs to a batch list. TMPGEnc takes a much longer time (re-encoding) and can also set it to 3.8GB mkv output.

Have no idea what is best - any suggestions?

Thanks.
    Image Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	2021-01-08_14-01-48.png
Views:	1167
Size:	1.41 MB
ID:	56690  

Quote Quote  
  2. The player and the video renderer used (also the scaler if applicable) may have an impact on video quality.
    Quote Quote  
  3. The difference is probably in the deinterlacing. If you use the same output device and the same deinterlacing you'll get the same result.

I'd also be careful about how you compare. Unless the two players are displaying the exact same frame, or if you can show all frames look like the ones pictured, you can say for sure there's a difference between the players.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Originally Posted by vhwul62 View Post
    BTW ...
    [Off topic]

I tried/used MakeMKV - regretfully it requires to mount .iso files from HDD one by one (no batch possible). a 4.2GB iso file results in a 3.8GB .mkv
    I could also use TMPGEnc Video Mastering and then add jobs to a batch list. TMPGEnc takes a much longer time (re-encoding) and can also set it to 3.8GB mkv output.

Thanks.
    VMW always re-encodes. TMPGenc Smart Renderer would do what you want.
    Quote Quote  
  5. This looks like jagabo already mentioned like bad deinterlacing in this particular settings in MPC-BE. Can you rightclick on MPC-BE and paste the filterslist here, so I can see what filters you use. MPC-HC may also have a filters list on rightclick menu. Just apply the settings of MPC-HC to MPC-BE and you are good to go. But please paste both filters lists here, so I see what could cause this problems.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Many thanks for the responses.

I am not an expert.

I played the same mkv file and stopped at exactly the same frame and both players in 'full screen' mode.
    As said, normally such differences aren't visible, or maybe only by 'trained people'.

@jagabo
    @flashandpan007

MPC-BE
    MPC-BE 1.5.5.5433
    Filters currently loaded:
    - Default DirectSound Device
    - Enhanced Video Renderer (custom presenter)
    - Audio Switcher
    - MPC Video Decoder
    - MPC Audio Decoder
    - MPC Matroska Source

MPC-HC
    Filters currently loaded:
    - Default DirectSound Device
    - Enhanced Video Renderer (custom presenter)
    - Audio Switcher
    - LAV Video Decoder (internal)
    - LAV Audio Decoder (internal)
    - LAV Splitter Source (internal)
    Quote Quote  
  7. Originally Posted by smrpix View Post
    Originally Posted by vhwul62 View Post
    BTW ...
    [Off topic]

Thanks.
    VMW always re-encodes. TMPGenc Smart Renderer would do what you want.
    Thanks!

Later ...
    After I posted this thread, I checked the VideoHelp forum and I think(!) that converting iso to mkv using MakeMKV does not result in quality loss(?)
    Or, if at all, then hardly noticable.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Can you send me the file per pm, so i can test too? Use google drive or so. But do do not post link in forum, only pm. And try out latest nightly of today of MPC-BE.
    If it is the same, then download external standalone LAV Filters, go to options in MPC-BE register LAV Audio, LAV Video, LAV Splitter and LAV Splitter Source and set all four to prefer. Then you use same filters in MPC-BE as in MPC-HC.

If I have the file I can contact the devs and ask what is causing this in internal Filters.
    Quote Quote  
  9. I forgot to ask, what gpu do you use? There is Software deinterlacing available in LAV Filters, but for best deinterlacing you should use GPU deinterlacer, but on some gpus like rx 5700 this deinterlacer is broken in driver. My old polaris card deinterlaces just fine also my overpriced new rtx30 card.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Thanks again.

What I did:
    1. installed the LAV Filters
    2. followed the install instructions as on https://cyberraidentech.blogspot.com/2020/09/media-player-classic-black-edition-mpc.html
    3. at the point of "LAV Video Configuration" - I ended up puzzling what to do (see screenshot "C")

Please find attached
    Screenshot A: NVIDIA 970GTX details
    Screenshot B: same
    Screenshot C: what to select here - I did not select anything at this point

Last screenshot : when playing MPC-BE with LAV Filters - now it seems the quality is somewhat better.

[Attachment 56710 - Click to enlarge]

[Attachment 56711 - Click to enlarge]

[Attachment 56712 - Click to enlarge]

[Attachment 56713 - Click to enlarge]

-
    Quote Quote  
  11. Set it to DXVA2 (copy-back), so you get the Nvidia Deinterlacer working with Hardware accelerated video decoding, D3D11 would be for highest performace, but that GPU Deinterlacing should not work with it.
    Can you please upload the file to google drive and send me the link per pm, I want to see what is causing the internal Filters to behave like that.
    Quote Quote