VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hi cats

at the moment I use this commandline to encode 2 hours of HD video, but the speed of encoding appear too slow.
    Is there a way to get more speed of encoding? thanks

Code:
    ffmpeg.exe -y -i g:\commedia2016.avi -i g:\commedia2016.wav -pix_fmt yuv422p -vf yadif=1 -c:v libx264 -crf 20 -profile:v high422 -level:v 4.1 -g 33 -bf 1 -c:a libmp3lame -b:a 320k -aspect 16:9 g:\commedia2016crf20.mkv

Click image for larger version

Name:	ff5.jpg
Views:	369
Size:	423.7 KB
ID:	35495
    Quote Quote  
  2. Since you're using the default preset (medium) you have me=hex and subme=7. Those two settings are among those that have the largest effect on encoding speed. Use me=dia and lower subme settings to get faster encoding. Quality will suffer, of course.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Or: simply use a faster preset. That's the reason they exist.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Some thoughts:

1. You are encoding raw HD video with a bitrate over 800 Mbps. Are you reading and writing to the same disc? If so, you might try writing to another disc and see if that speeds things up a little.

2. You are de-interlacing HD footage. Do you really need to do that since speed is such a paramount concern for you? What are you gaining from de-interlacing? Leaving it interlaced should speed things up as well.

3. You are running x264 through ffmpeg and encoding the audio and video in parallel. A faster workflow might be encoding the video separately from the audio then muxing the two since the video is the bottleneck, and presumably one or more of the cores on your machine is being reserved for the audio encode. The overhead for x264 cli encoding to a raw .264 file is slightly less than ffmpeg.
    Quote Quote  
  5. ahn, thanks
    Quote Quote