VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I'm looking for a Windows tool, preferably free, that can automatically pan and scan 2.35:1 and 16:9 videos to 4:3.
    Quote Quote  
  2. How would an automatic pan and scan know what you want to keep in the frame?
    Canon C100 mk2 - Dell XPS8700 i7 - Win 10 - 24gb RAM - GTX 1060/6GB - DaVinci Resolve Studio 18.6.3 - Blackmagic Speed Editor - Presonus Faderport 1 - 3 calibrated screens
    Quote Quote  
  3. Artificial intelligence
    Quote Quote  
  4. How would it know for instance if you have two characters in a scene placed left and right, which one to show? It would not always be the one who is talking as there may be a facial reaction from the other to what is being said.
    Canon C100 mk2 - Dell XPS8700 i7 - Win 10 - 24gb RAM - GTX 1060/6GB - DaVinci Resolve Studio 18.6.3 - Blackmagic Speed Editor - Presonus Faderport 1 - 3 calibrated screens
    Quote Quote  
  5. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Why do you need 4:3 output?

Can you make anamorphic video instead?
    Quote Quote  
  6. Originally Posted by rowjekto View Post
    I'm looking for a Windows tool, preferably free, that can automatically pan and scan 2.35:1 and 16:9 videos to 4:3.
    There's no such thing.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    P&S is an artistic compromise, best left to the Humans who produced the material in the first place. You want to put those choices in the hands of a dumb automated (or AI or ML, whatever) system? You get what you paid for.

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  8. What is the best way to manually pan and scan 2.35:1 and 16:9 videos to 4:3?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by rowjekto View Post
    What is the best way to manually pan and scan 2.35:1 and 16:9 videos to 4:3?
    manually frame by frame

no other way to keep the best part of the action. at best it sucks.
    --
    "a lot of people are better dead" - prisoner KSC2-303
    Quote Quote  
  10. Which Windows tool is the best for this?
    Last edited by rowjekto; 25th Aug 2021 at 19:57.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Proper (paid-for) video editing programs can do this easily. For example, Movie Edit Pro allows you to crop to whatever frame size/ratio you like and easily pan across the wide video to keep the subject in the reduced-width frame.
    Quote Quote  
  12. I've came across Adobe Premiere Pro's feature "Auto Reframe" which supposed to automatically pan and scan videos.
    However, there are two problems that prevent me from using this feature:
    1. This is very expensive.
    2. My PC doesn't match the minimum system requirements.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    What is the best way to manually pan and scan 2.35:1 and 16:9 videos to 4:3?
    FFMpeg --> Crop it and Set DAR/aspect
    [Attachment 61097 - Click to enlarge]
    Quote Quote  
  14. Capturing Memories dellsam34's Avatar
    Search PM
    I use Vegas Pro 13, It is not automatic but sort of semi automatic, You work scene by scene instead of frame by frame. You set the start and end keyframes positions of the scene being worked on and the software moves the 4:3 window horizontally across the wide frame from the start position to final position as set by the keyframes, you can do multiple positions if you don't want linear motion, say from position A to B the frame moves slow then from B to C it moves faster, pretty neat. I've been working on T2 from a widscreen frame to make a high quality 4:3 version for learning purposes.

Image Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Untitled.jpg
Views:	419
Size:	298.4 KB
ID:	61098  

Last edited by dellsam34; 3rd Oct 2021 at 04:16.
    Quote Quote  
  15. "I was a nice little kid. Hollywood fucked me up, man!"
    "I was sick and tired of being sick and tired."
    Edward Furlong, 2006
    (I know the feeling, minus the Hollywood part... and the drug part...)

I've been working on T2 from a widscreen frame to make a high quality 4:3 version for learning purposes.
    DON'T DO DAT.
    At least remove those extra scenes from the “director's cut” / “Skynet” or whatever extended editions, to balance out with something actually beneficial to that masterpiece of a movie ! Sad thing is that those mostly cringeworthy scenes have now become an integral part of the movie as it is known and watched today, even though they were originally cut for a good reason. (And while we're at it, remove the equally cringeworthy line “I need a vacation” — don't remember if it was in the original theatrical release, but it does NOT fit the mood of the otherwise gloomy and tragic ending AT ALL, besides that kind of humor is not even halfway plausible from a robot — sorry, a zybernedic organizm — with such a rudimentary approach to language learning and behaviour mimicking. However cheesy most of T3 might have been, at least they got the mood of the crucial last 10 minutes right, consistently gloomy as it should be, with no lousy wisecrack from the wide cracked sidetracked killing machine. Another sad thing is that Edward Furlong, precisely because he was then in such a dreadful downward spiral, would have made a far more believable young adult John Connor — regardless of the fact that it was his role in the first place. And another sad thing is that they continued after that, thoroughly butchering the legacy of a once awe-inspiring franchise. I've read and heard extremely contradictory comments regarding the 6th installment, ranging from “best since T2” to “industrial disaster of epic proportions” ; considering that similar statements were made about the 5th, my general feeling tends toward the latter, especially after watching this.)

“Just as the passage of time teaches us that our parents aren't infallible and the government isn't populated by our best and brightest, so too does it ravage our greatest actors, turning them from quixotic artistes into by-the-numbers paycheck whores. Time replaces the edgy Robert De Niro of Taxi Driver and Raging Bull with the family friendly Analyze This version, while venerated talents such as Jack Nicholson and Gene Hackman stop making films like The Last Detail and The Conversation in favor of lowest common denominator bilge like The Bucket List and Runaway Jury. And then there's Pacino, whose knack for accepting almost every role offered him has obviously served as an example for contemporaries like Hilary Swank.”
    (From here.)

At least Robert Patrick became a very funny old man...

[Attachment 61109 - Click to enlarge]
    Quote Quote  
  16. Capturing Memories dellsam34's Avatar
    Search PM
    My post was not about the movie, it is about what tool to use for pan and scan, I appreciate your critique but I cannot expand on it since it is off topic and the thread is not mine.
    Quote Quote