VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Greetings from Branson, Missouri, USA. As many have likely outlined earlier, I have a pile of Hi8mm and miniDV home movies I'd love to convert to DVD and am looking for the best way to do that. Like an idiot, the old hi8mm camera and the Sony Prosumer miniDV camcorder have long since been damaged in various family moves, and now, my wife is wanting to see all the dozens of tapes stacked in a safe in the basement......

Curious if folks could direct me to the best route I should take? I have all PC equipment, no Mac's, but could acquire a Mac if that is an easier way to have this all happen.

I have a laptop with a DVD burner in it (an old Lenovo i7 from 2008), and am running Windows 10, 64bit, 16GB ram, 1TB SSD.

Thoughts on the Sony EV-S5000?

I read a few articles talking about the use of an HDV player, like the Sony HVR-M15AU?

I'd love to burn these to Blueray to preserve as ideal video quality as possible, but am open to your suggestions.

I have unlimited HD space to store videos, so if that needs to be the spot to place the raw video and then compress it down to fit on blueray, that would be fine too....

Software, cabling, players.... I'm just starting to research - thanks in advance for this great page and all the experts info I've started reviewing.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    the major issue you have is that hi8 is analog, and miniDV is digital.

the ev-5000 is a waste of space. it doesn't do DV.

the hvr-m15au would be ok if it did hi8, but it doesn't.

if money isn't an object then i guess get both.

then you need a computer with a ieee1394 firewire port to capture the DV tapes and an analog to digital conversion device to capture the analog hi8.

no reason to burn to blu-ray. both hi8 and miniDV are only 480 res. burning to dvd is fine.
    --
    "a lot of people are better dead" - prisoner KSC2-303
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thank you so much..... I assume I'm out of luck in finding a nifty ieee1394 to USB interface...... that preserves optimal quality?

If you had your choice on Hi8 to cloud, best quality, what would be your method?

Same question for HDV?

My wife's the CFO, so, I'll do the research and give her some options and pricing and see what she thinks.....

Thanks again for the fast response, and have a great evening (assuming u are near my timezone)
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    HDV wasn't on your list. if you have HDV tapes that adds another level of complexity. HDV needs a cam that can play that format and it's not a single one. jvc had it's own standard and everyone else has another.

NO. there is no ieee1394 to usb device that works. an actual firewire card in the computer, firewire cable and working firewire cam/deck is required.
    --
    "a lot of people are better dead" - prisoner KSC2-303
    Quote Quote