VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    I know this is probably a common question, and I did a search and could not find an answer. Hopefully somebody here can help.

I've been encoding videos to XviD using AutoGK, which produces two subtitle files, an .idx file and a .rar archive which contains a .sub file. In Windows VLC player, as well as almost every other player has no problem displaying these subtitles. In Linux however, (I use PCLinuxOS 2007) VLC returns an error when trying to load the .idx file, and every other Linux media player I tried doesn't work with these subtitles either, only .srt. I really don't want to convert all my subtitles, as that would be a hassle.

How can I play AutoGK created subtitles in Linux?

Thanks.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Ok... I just figured out that VLC will play my subtitles if I unrar the archive that contains the .sub file into the same directory as the .avi and .idx files. Still. it is kind of a pain in the ass to unrar all of those files, and it wastes diskspace. Is there a better way?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I've wondered the same thing myself.

Thinking it was a compile time option, but there is no enable nor disable flag for configure, nor does it look for unrar libs. Sometime ago I researched this on the VLC site, and there was a post about only supporting rar 2.0 archives. But this was a couple of years ago.

Lately I just unrar the file and deal with it.

I don't believe it's a rar version problem, as VLC plays movies from rar files that were compressed with version 3.0 just fine.

Perhaps a forum post at videolan will yield an answer?
    Linux _is_ user-friendly. It is not ignorant-friendly and idiot-friendly.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I took your advice and posted my question at Videolan. Hopefully they know a solution. This is a real bummer since rather than unrar everything, I'll probably just use Windows to watch my XviDs. This is a real blow to my goal of switching to Linux and the only real impediment preventing Linux from being the OS I use as an XviD entertainment center.
    Quote Quote