VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hello,
    Please I'd like to know which audio mixer I should buy ?

The purpose I will use it for is that I am making educational screen casting video tutorials as I've mentioned in my other thread and I need a rich microphone to use to comment what I am doing on screen casting.

Just to let you get an idea about what I am doing, I've a drawing tablet connected to my computer and using the stylus pen on the tablet surface to hand write on any drawing application canvas like Photoshop, and use Techsmith Camtasia to record what I am doing on the screen, so the microphone will be used to comment during the tutorial, and the mixer is to get a better rich sound, that is all

I will not use it with any kind of music performance but just for this purpose only.

Also shall I get any digital sound interface to connect it to computer like Audio Interface? or not needed?

I am using this mother board:-
    http://www.gigabyte.com/products/product-page.aspx?pid=3863#sp

And what will I need to buy with the mixer to let it work correctly to achieve what I've mentioned above.

Thanks a lot

Thanks for your time.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Budget?

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    100 $
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    OK, so you realize that the recording chain:

1. Voice/talent/music/source
    2. Environment
    3. Microphone (with stand/isolator)
    4. Pre-amp/Mixer
    5. Analog-to-Digital converter
    6. Recording Interface
    7. Recording app
    ...shows the order of flow of the chain, but in a way, it ALSO shows the order of importance (with the first being the MOST important to the quality of the sound).

Now, since your total budget is $100 (I assume USD), that doesn't really give you much maneuverability for achieving a high-quality level throughout the chain. And high quality mics usually cost at least $100 each, which doesn't give you ANYTHING left for all the other elements.

I think your best bet for THAT budget, would be to get a "USB microphone" (aka microphone that includes a built-in pre-amp, a-to-d, and usb interface).
    This one is probably good quality, but costs a little above your budget: AudioTechnica AT-2020USB
    This one is within your budget and is popular, but I can't vouch for it: Blue Snowball USB Condenser

Then, work on your isolation & environment (I'm assuming you already have a good voice )

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    i mean 100 usd for the audio mixer only
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I've found a usb model titled the same ... 802
    1st => Behringer Xenyx Q802USB USB Audio Mixer
    http://www.amazon.com/Behringer-Xenyx-Q802USB-Audio-Mixer/dp/B008O517IC/

2nd=> Behringer Q802USB 8-Channel Mixer

http://www.amazon.com/Behringer-Q802USB-8-Channel-Mixer/dp/B00CTKI61Y/

So which one is better? the model you mentioned or this usb models?

Also which model of these two usb model is better ?
    Quote Quote  
  7. The USB versions add the ability to digitize the audio and send it directly to a computer. It also adds compressors for the mic channels. Otherwise they appear to be the same. The USB interface may come in handy if you are going to use your motherboard's onboard audio and it has a noisy analog audio input. You could use the USB output instead -- assuming the software you are using supports it.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    The USB interface may come in handy if you are going to use your motherboard's onboard audio and it has a noisy analog audio input. You could use the USB output instead.
    Which noise you mean?
    The one from the mixer or the on board computer built-in?
    This is my mother board:- GA-Z68A-D3-B3

Also another thing ... some amazon reviews reporting noise result and others do not for this mixer, so shall I go ahead for it or may search for something that has 0 negative review?
    Quote Quote  
  9. Originally Posted by mdghbrhn View Post
    The USB interface may come in handy if you are going to use your motherboard's onboard audio and it has a noisy analog audio input. You could use the USB output instead.
    Which noise you mean?

I mean noise from the audio device on the motherboard. I don't know about that motherboard in particular, but many don't have a good signal to noise ratio. Motherboards are generally a very noisy environment so it's hard to get clean A/D conversion there.

Originally Posted by mdghbrhn View Post
    Also another thing ... some amazon reviews reporting noise result and others do not for this mixer, so shall I go ahead for it or may search for something that has 0 negative review?
    In the reviews I saw the noise was from the effects processors. If you don't use them you don't get the noise. I don't think you'll find anything with zero negative reviews.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Which noise you mean?

I mean noise from the audio device on the motherboard. I don't know about that motherboard in particular, but many don't have a good signal to noise ratio. Motherboards are generally a very noisy environment so it's hard to get clean A/D conversion there.
    Shall I buy a PCI internal sound card to use it with the mixer? I mean to stay away from on board noisy built-in audio?

In the reviews I saw the noise was from the effects processors. If you don't use them you don't get the noise. I don't think you'll find anything with zero negative reviews.
    Actually I've been very much confused with all these models and brands in the amazon sections but the model you suggested is common when I goggled for audio sound mixer and only few reviews suggested other brands.
    Quote Quote  
  11. I recommend you stop worrying and just try one of them. As a rule, the microphones are going to be the weak point in the chain, the devices with the worst signal to noise ratio. So the signal to noise ratio of of the mixer won't be critical.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I recommend you stop worrying and just try one of them. As a rule, the microphones are going to be the weak point in the chain, the devices with the worst signal to noise ratio. So the signal to noise ratio of of the mixer won't be critical.
    I am sorry I do not understand this reply correctly. Please rephrase it.
    Thanks
    Quote Quote  
  13. Microphones usually have much worse signal to noise ratios than a mixer or amplifier. So you generally don't have to worry about the signal to noise ratio in the mixer. Ie, whether your mixer has 85 dB or 105 dB S/N doesn't matter if your mic only has 50 dB S/N. (Note, I just pulled those numbesr out of the air, 85 dB is not the actual S/N of that mixer.)
    Quote Quote  
  14. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Microphones usually have much worse signal to noise ratios than a mixer or amplifier.
    so what is the decent microphone I should buy and use because there are too many?
    Quote Quote  
  15. I don't deal much with microphones so I can't really recommend one. But people seem to like the Blue Yeti and Blue Snowball for the type of think you're doing:

http://reviews.cnet.com/microphones/blue-microphones-yeti-usb/4505-6469_7-33871254.html#!

See page 2 for audio samples. They are USB microphones so you can't use them with a mixer.

Other than those I think most people will use a headset mic like this:

http://www.amazon.com/Shure-PG30-TQG-Condenser-Microphone-Connector/dp/B000WDVBRQ/

Being close to your mouth they give good isolation -- ie your voice is loud and clear, background noise and echoes are reduced. But not as "ambient" sounding (you can add reverb in post though). Note the TA4F connector. You'll need an XLR adapter to use it with a mixer:

http://www.amazon.com/Shure-WA310-Microphone-Adapter-Connector/dp/B00076R384/
    Last edited by jagabo; 4th Nov 2013 at 20:15.
    Quote Quote  
  16. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hello,
    I've goggled and found these usb microphone like:-
    • Blue Yeti
    • Samson
    • MXL
    • AT2020USB
    But amazon reviews can not make up my mind to make a decision ... please advise!
    Thanks.
    Quote Quote