VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search PM
    Editing a 45 min file from a GoPro. 4k at 30fps.

The build proxy took a lot longer than 1080p. Normal? Like 20 mins for only 45 mins of footage.
    Next time, I will delete the LRV files before adding the files to the project.

To save disk space, I lower the bitrate down to 10,000,000

While editing, I have the preview on "Full", which I like.
    Is there an optimal setting?

Should/can I turn off the preview while rendering for speeding up?

I also enabled my GPU by selecting Options->Preferences-> Video tab -> GPU Acceleration of video processing

Are there any tricks to making things faster?
    Quote Quote  
  2. I have been using Vegas since version 4. I stopped upgrading at version 13. I use Vegas Pro.

Proxy editing should let you get really fast timeline performance. However, the bitrate won't make any difference in the playback speed, nor will it make any difference in how long the proxies take to render. So, since proxies are deleted when you are finished with the edit, I'm not sure it is worth lowering the bitrate to save a little disk space.

Proxies from 4K are obviously going to take longer to create than proxies from 1080p or from SD video.

The most important decisions to make when creating proxies is what resolution to select, and what codec to use. If you are having problems with timeline performance, you might want to create 1280x720 proxies instead of 1920x1080. That will still give you plenty of resolution to work with, but will play much faster on the timeline.

As for the codec, you do NOT want to use h.264 (MP4) or any other long-GOP format. Instead you want to use what is often called an "intermediate codec." These usually compress each frame by itself, without reference to adjacent frames. This massively speeds up the timeline performance. You should do a Google search on "best proxy vegas video codecs" or something similar to get a list of what is recommended.

You should also ask this question in the Vegas forum.

Here is some helpful information from the author of Vegasur, the wonderful Vegas add-on: Proxy Media Builder

Turning off preview will not reduce render times.

You will have to do your own tests on the GPU's impact on timeline performance, and also whether enabling it reduces render times. Perhaps Magix has finally figured out how to make Vegas GPU work. Sony and Sonic Foundry never did figure it out.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search PM
    I turned off "automatically create Proxy for HD media"
    I created a new project, added the 4k video, and tried to edit it.
    No issues with lagging and the edit process is fine.
    So, it looks like my CPU does not even need proxy files to edit 4k smoothly.
    Will keep the setting off.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by johnmeyer View Post
    You should also ask this question in the Vegas forum.
    This one?
    https://www.vegascreativesoftware.info/us/vegas-movie-studio-forum/
    Quote Quote  
  5. Yes
    Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence -Carl Sagan
    Quote Quote  
  6. Yes, that's the forum. You should ask your stabilization question there as well.
    Quote Quote