VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I have a D Link wireless connected to adsl with router that enables internet connection through different cable ports ,with the help of the

D link mentioned above my laptop could easily make internet connection the problem is that other wlan laptops ,mobiles , etc could easily access my network with or without my permission plus the other risks of miss-using my ip adress . how could I make a secured connection with a password .Thanks in advance.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    You need to go to the router/modem and set a password....then use the same password in your other internet-connected devices.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Also use wpa if you have it. That is "better" than wep. Nothing is fool proof of course but the more difficult you make your password the better off you'll be.
    Donatello - The Shredder? Michelangelo - Maybe all that hardware is for making coleslaw?
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    1: Change the login admin user name and password on the Dlink unit.
    2: Regularly change the password used for wireless.
    3: Find the section related to mac address allow ... enter mac address's of allowed devices, save, reboot.

That should be all you need to do.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    allowed mac addresses is all i use anymore. not on the list you don't get onto my wireless. no password needed.
    --
    "a lot of people are better dead" - prisoner KSC2-303
    Quote Quote  
  6. http://support.dlink.com/emulators/wbr2310/wireless.htm

Enter a unique SSID name and select WPA2 wireless security.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    From what I've seen, mac-listed-only and password protection seem to be mutually exclusive. Most secure would be if you could do both.

Of the 2, I prefer encrypted/password-secured.

Scott
    Last edited by Cornucopia; 11th Apr 2012 at 01:34.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Oy Vey.....

Must......
    Fight......
    Satan's......
    Urges.......

LOL!!!!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by aedipuss View Post
    allowed mac addresses is all i use anymore. not on the list you don't get onto my wireless. no password needed.
    That isn't secure since Mac addresses can be spoofed.

Also without WEP/WPA encryption, your data stream is in the clear and can be read.

Originally Posted by Cornucopia View Post
    From what I've seen, mac-listed-only and password protection seem to be mutually exclusive. Most secure would be if you could do both.
    On Netgear and other routers you can use both. Locking a LAN/Wi-Fi IP to a Mac address prevents devices like NAS, Blu-Ray/media players, audio receiver-amps, etc from becoming confused if duplicate IP addresses are present. This often happens when a device is unplugged or during a power outage recovery. If every device has a dedicated IP, duplicate IPs are avoided.
    Last edited by edDV; 10th Apr 2012 at 03:07.
    Recommends: Kiva.org - Loans that change lives.
    http://www.kiva.org/about
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by Noahtuck View Post
    Oy Vey.....

Must......
    Fight......
    Satan's......
    Urges.......

LOL!!!!
    I hear ya....but I've been online since most of us heard "You've Got Mail" and securing my wireless internet still pisses me off. I just can't seem to get my head around some of the terminology.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by abdosagor View Post
    I have a D Link wireless connected to adsl with router that enables internet connection through different cable ports ,with the help of the

D link mentioned above my laptop could easily make internet connection the problem is that other wlan laptops ,mobiles , etc could easily access my network with or without my permission plus the other risks of miss-using my ip adress . how could I make a secured connection with a password .Thanks in advance.

You need to enable WPA encryption on the router.

To do this it's safest to connect your laptop or PC to the router by cable while you config it, as if you make a mistake you could get disconnected from wifi and not be able to reconnect.

So, almost every modem has its config page accessible from the browser.
    Try connecting to http://192.168.0.1
    If it's another IP address, it may be on a label on the router, it will certainly be in the manual.

Then log in -- there will be a default login for the admin,.

Look for the settings for wifi and enable WPA and type in a password -- Not just one word, but a short sentence is pretty secure.

Then try to login in via wifi and it should show it as a secure connection that you have to have a password for.
    Also change the admin password to log into the router. (Use a different password.)

In case of total screw up, there will be a reset button you can press to return all settings to default.

If you have problems, first advise the exact model name.
    Last edited by AlanHK; 10th Apr 2012 at 04:16.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM

ORLY?

http://www.techrepublic.com/blog/security/how-to-spoof-a-mac-address/395

Macshift: Change your MAC address http://devices.natetrue.com/macshift/
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    hech54
    I hear ya....but I've been online since most of us heard "You've Got Mail" and securing my wireless internet still pisses me off. I just can't seem to get my head around some of the terminology.
    I just installed a new Netgear router this weekend so all still fresh in mind.

Set WPA2/PSK wireless (AES-CCMP encryption) with a complex password.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CCMP

I used Xirrus Wi-Fi Inspector (free) to find clear channels. N routers can use two channels simultaneously for greater speed.
    Quote Quote  
  14. Originally Posted by hech54 View Post
    You need to go to the router/modem and set a password....then use the same password in your other internet-connected devices.
    thanks alot for all that replied but what i want now is is details please how could imanage a pass word method as iwas never promped to login the internet gate is opened to anybody through cable or wlan i want to start from factory setting to explain my case exactly i had never performed configration ijust bought the a dsl + router connected the wires from adsl provider and the internet is connected
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by hech54 View Post
    thanks alot for all that replied but what i want now is is details please how could imanage a pass word method as iwas never promped to login the internet gate is opened to anybody through cable or wlan i want to start from factory setting to explain my case exactly i had never performed configration ijust bought the a dsl + router connected the wires from adsl provider and the internet is connected

I explained that in my post above.

If you can't understand that (did you even try?), how about reading the manual of your router.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by AlanHK View Post

ORLY?

hehe - no one around here could spoof being an intelligent person, much less a mac address. it's a benefit of living in the countryside.

besides what they don't tell you is if you need a mixed mode setup for wireless g/n and use any password security the speed will be limited to 54mbps.

i don't broadcast the ssid either. you'd have to know it or hack that also.
    Last edited by aedipuss; 10th Apr 2012 at 15:08.
    --
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by hech54 View Post
    Basic steps for a dsl wireless modem-router.

1. Connect to router set up software. Usually found at http://192.168.0.1. Default login is usually admin/password. Change "password" to a real password.

2. Establish ADSL connection with uesr name and password provided by the ISP. Follow ISP instructions for IP address and DNS. Usually these will be provided by the ISP automatically. Default settings for AT&T here are...

PPPoE
    LLC-Based, VPI=0, VCI=35

3. Get the wired network running first by setting DHCP to on. The router will then issue IP addresses to each connected device.

4. For wireless, enter an SSID and choose a channel that nobody is using (Xirrus Wi-Fi Inspector will scan channels from your wireless PC).

5. Set WPA2/PSK wireless (AES-CCMP encryption) with a complex password (not the same as admin password).

6. Go to wireless device and scan Wi-Fi channels. You should see your SSID on the channel you specified. When you attempt to connect, you will be asked for the "security key" or password. Enter the password from step 5. You should connect.

7. If you see other users on your channel, change to an unused channel.

Detail instructions are in your manual. They offer many options but use the ones I suggested for highest security.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by AlanHK View Post

ORLY?

hehe - no one around here could spoof being an intelligent person, much less a mac address. it's a benefit of living in the countryside.

besides what they don't tell you is if you need a mixed mode setup for wireless g/n and use any password security the speed will be limited to 54mbps.

i don't broadcast the ssid either. you'd have to know it or hack that also.
    You should try Wi-Fi inspector. You will see how you look to others SSID or no SSID. You will show as OPEN and therefore a prime target. Wi-Fi Inspector also displays your router in 2d space so they can locate your house.

I'm on the edge of a forest yet still see 5 wireless routers from neighbors. Each shows SSID, BSSID (router Mac address), router manufacturer, encryption settings, channel(s) used, signal strength and location on 2D map. This is all public info. From an unencrypted data stream, a bad guy next door could easily hack into your network.
    Quote Quote  
  19. Wi-Fi Inspector is a great program. I ran it to see what channel my neighbors were on and most were on the same one as me, I changed mine and it eliminated some of the interference. Some of my neighbors put their name or address as the SSID which is stupid, it's safer to make something up. Half of them use WEP which is also stupid unless you are using Windows 98.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    If you take your laptop running Wi-Fi Inspector on a drive around the block, you will quickly build a list of dozens of routers. It seems WEP is popular with 2Wire and Comcast routers. Many are wide open. About a third are using WPA2/PSK. Channel 11 seems popular since it's the default setting on many routers.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    wep is popular as it's the only protection lots of older wireless g devices can use.
    --
    Quote Quote  
  22. Member
    Search Comp PM
    You can also use a program called Wireless Net Viewer to find available free channels.

Also, WEP protection is virtually no protection, since it can be cracked in minutes on some routers, and overnight on others.
    WPA and WPA2 are the most secure encryption with long and strong passwords, although WPA has been shown to be vulnerable.

A MAC address can be spoofed in less than 10 seconds (use MACChanger for Windows).

Not broadcasting your SSID if fine, until YOU access your AP - then your SSID is broadcast in the clear. Anyone monitoring your traffic will now have your SSID.

The most secure wireless uses WPA2 with a very long password. Since the password hash is transmitted and is easily captured, a long password resists most brute force attacks. If you do use WEP, assume that all your traffic is being monitored and take appropriate actions (ie, no online banking, or other financial transactions). It would be better to just use a wired connection over a wireless connection with a CLEAR or WEP encryption.
    ICBM target coordinates:
    26° 14' 10.16"N -- 80° 16' 0.91"W
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    wep is popular as it's the only protection lots of older wireless g devices can use.
    I thought all 80211.g devices could use WPA.
    But if you have 80211.b, you can only use WEP.

I used that for years, wasn't a problem since 80211.b is 11 Mb/sec and my my local Internet is 1.5 on a good day. And also being in a village, I was pretty sure no one was hacking in. I only turned it on to use the laptop anyway. I upgraded everything to 80211.g and WPA when I got a cheap WHR-G54S wifi router and a new(er) laptop.

Another good free wifi scanning tool is InSSIder: http://www.metageek.net/products/inssider/
    Shows a graph of signal strength, helpful for positioning your router and antenna, as well as spying on your neighbours.
    Last edited by AlanHK; 11th Apr 2012 at 08:12.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    i believe a lot of the game consoles could only do wep. i know my kids nintendo ds's were "g" and wep only, maybe the wii also.
    --
    Quote Quote  
  25. WPA became a device standard in 2003, all Windows OS support WPA since XP SP1. I don't use game consoles but I would bet if they were made after 2002 they would support WPA. If have a router that's old and doesn't support WPA it's time to upgrade(also to get N and Gigabit).

http://support.netgear.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/1105/~/what's-new-in-security%3A-wp...otected-access)
    Quote Quote