VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi, I am able to record onto dvd-r (tesco brand) with my targa recorder. But when i put verbatim dvd+rw discs in, they are not recognised.
    M
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Are you sure your recorder supports +RW?
    +RW is the newest DVD format and probably the least likely to work with older(pre '06) DVDRs.
    I'm not familiar with the Tesco brand but many earlier DVDRs didn't support +RW. Panasonic is that way, '04s didn't support any + media, '05 added +R and it wasn't until '06 that +RW support was added.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi, and thank you for the prompt response.
    Well, according to the manual, it does support dvd+rw discs.
    although the machine could very well be pre 06.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    When you say 'not recognised' do you mean when the disk is inserted or when you try to record ?

A dvd-r disk can be recorded once it is initialised(formated automatically). A dvd+RW disk has to be manually formatted by the recorder.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I am referring when i insert the discs I have tried 5 or 6 of the verbatim discs. In some cases, i get the "unknown disc" error message. In others, the logo/icon of a disc will whirl around for quite a while, and then stop. I have pressed the record button, but nothing happens.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Model Number ?
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi, it's a DRv-5200x
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I will put my 'read my mind' cap on now and suggest you bought this at Lidl.

Did you actually get a manual in English since as far as I can tell this unit was for the German market.

Not to worry. I could confirm that, technically, it will accept DVD+RW disks.

But I would suggest that the issue is the speed rating of the disks. The recorder may accept 2x disks (or whatever that is for dvd+rw) but refuse higher speed ones. The manual (if it is in English) should tell you precisely what speed and, sometimes more importantly,precisely what media it should work with.

I had a similar issue with an older recorder. It should have been able to take 2x media but it would not take 4x(2x compatable). I could no longer get that media although, initially, I could. In the end I had to ditch the recorder for a more modern one.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi, it was probably Aldi. THe manual is in English.
    the discs are 4x
    i can't see anything about speed ratings in the manual.
    I will respond to any more comments tomorrow.
    Thanks to all.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Np. I was not trying to be sarcastic but the links I got when googling for that model suggested that it was just for the German market. Lidl (a German company) do tend to stock quite a bit of imported stuff. And no record of that model either on the UK site for Targa. There does seem to be a commercial link between Lidl and Targa.

But back to the disks. I had some Philips 2x that worked. Sony 2x worked for a while but then a later batch did not. The unit coughed at all 4x(2x)
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    It never occurred to me that you were trying to be sarcastic. I don't think there was an lidl here at the time.
    Wheras there would have been an Aldi.
    I'm gonna see if i can get any 2x dvd+rw discs today and try them out.
    M
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi i bought some sony dvd-rw discs compatible with 1x up to 5x.
    Unfortunately they didn't make any difference.
    I have two other options in mind.
    (1) try cleaning the machine. But I doubt it would make any difference as it does record onto record once discs.
    (2) try upgrading the firmware. But I can't see anything in the manual about that, or get any decent results from googling
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    DVD -RW will be formatted by the recorder as soon as you put in a new disk. So, again, it does seem like an incompatability issue.

It would have to add that with a unit some 6 years old the chances of finding compatable media is quite remote. You are quite lucky with those 'Tesco' branded disks. But that is not to say that the next batch you buy will work. All sorts of factors here - change of actual manufacturer to same manufacturer and different dyes.
    Quote Quote  
  14. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks again, for all the help.
    M
    Quote Quote