VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Greetings,

I have recently decided to buy my own camcorder as borrowing from friends has been unreliable. The initial purpose is to film an annual snowboarding trip with friends however I would like the ability to dabble in making some short films. My budget is quite limited and I would like to get something decent for under $600. I have read some reviews of some particular camcorders and have focused my attention on (Panasonic SDR-H250 or GS-230), some of the reviews of these cams said the video quality was 'Poor' but I don't know what the reviewers definition of 'Poor' is. As my budget is quite low I do not expect my movies will be of the highest standard anyway so I basically just want the best I can get for my money. I am also unsure as to whether I would be better off getting the SDR-250 over the GS-230 for the HDD vs MiniDV argument.

While the 2 camcorders I mentioned are readily available where I am I am certainly open to getting a different camcorder on solid recommendation. I am also happy to here any comparisons between the models I have noted.

I have heard that low light can be a real problem for these Panasonics so suggestions around cameras that perform better in low light would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance for your responses.

Cheers

ChesneX
    Quote Quote  
  2. The Panasonic PV-GS320 can be had for $400 or less online. It's a great 3CCD budget camera. The major drawback is it doesn't have a mic input. They are susceptible to low light just like any consumer model. In proper lighting the picture is fantastic. You need to learn proper manual controls to get the most out of your shot.

For your budget you could get that camera with a bunch of accessories.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    you can probably get a high definition cam for this amount
    just be aware you'll probably have to build a new computer to handle the editing
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Canon Digic II DV cameras, Z-series.
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank DiscsBest TBCsBest VCRs for captureRestore VHS
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by stantheman1976
    The Panasonic PV-GS320 can be had for $400 or less online. It's a great 3CCD budget camera. The major drawback is it doesn't have a mic input. They are susceptible to low light just like any consumer model. In proper lighting the picture is fantastic. You need to learn proper manual controls to get the most out of your shot.

For your budget you could get that camera with a bunch of accessories.
    I did look at that model but was concerned about the lack of Mic imput with particualr reference to the Short Film making. Thats why I leaned towards the GS-230, do you think there is much diference between the two quality wise?

Cheers

Chesnex
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by lordsmurf
    Canon Digic II DV cameras, Z-series.
    It appears the Digic's I found are only single CCD do you think the Panasonics would be better being 3CCD?

Cheers

ChesneX
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I prefer the Sony HC96, its better in lowlight than the pana GS320.
    www.hc96.de -> All about the Sony DCR-HC96 and Camcorder accessories.
    Quote Quote