VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hello,

Recently I've become very interested in KVCDs, KSVCDs, & KDVDs. Yes, I'm very late to that party. Many threads I've read deal with TMPGEnc and various templates which needs an AVI source, but I have a lot of MKVs and MP4s and don't want to reencode to AVI only to reencode yet again to MPEG 1.

I've been using DVDStyler to make custom DVDs and they come out great. I really like how it lets you create menus, chapters, buttons, backgrounds, subtitles, ect.... I was wondering if there is any program that is similar, but to author KVCDs, KSVCDs, & KDVDs?

Also, is there a program similar to handbrake that can take an MKV source and allows cropping out borders to be saved as a KVCD, KSVCD, and/or KDVD compatible file?

I hope someone can help me with this. Thanks a bunch.
    Quote Quote  
  2. DECEASED
    Search Comp PM
    Well, what defines a so-called "K(wag) Video Disc" is just a low-bitrate/high-compression custom quantization matrix.
    And you don't have to use only the "copyrighted" one.
    As long as it's only for learning purposes, I think it's O.K. to play around with the K-discs in 2023.
    I have read somewhere that HCenc produces better quality at low bitrates than TMPGenc, so give it a try and see the difference (if any) with your own eyes.
    One problem in HCenc: its maximum GOP size is only 36 frames. TMPGenc, on the other hand, does not have such limitation.
    Other MPEG-2 encoders which allow very-long GOPs are x262 and mpeg2enc (part of the MJPEGtools package).

P.S.:
    Originally Posted by Aisu Kuremu View Post
    I've been using DVDStyler to make custom DVDs and they come out great. I really like how it lets you create menus, chapters, buttons, backgrounds, subtitles, ect.... I was wondering if there is any program that is similar, but to author KVCDs, KSVCDs, & KDVDs?
    Not "similar" to DVDstyler, but DVD-lab Pro does accept "non-compliant" GOP sizes and "non-compliant" resolutions (frame dimensions).
    Last edited by El Heggunte; 17th Mar 2023 at 19:13. Reason: ooops :-/
    "Programmers are human-shaped machines that transform alcohol into bugs."
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    You can use DVDPatcher to patch the first resolution header to a resolution allowed on DVD, to trick the authoring software.

Originally Posted by El Heggunte View Post
    I have read somewhere that HCenc produces better quality at low bitrates than TMPGenc, so give it a try and see the difference (if any) with your own eyes.
    HCenc produces better results at any watchable bitrates compared to TMPGenc 2.5(ish). If you read somewhere that TMPGenc 2.5 is good for low bitrates, it was probably written ~20 years ago, during the (X)VCD and (X)SVCD era, when there weren't many alternatives.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Also, DVD Rebuilder and HCgui, gonna help you.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Originally Posted by El Heggunte View Post
    Well, what defines a so-called "K(wag) Video Disc" is just a low-bitrate/high-compression custom quantization matrix.
    And you don't have to use only the "copyrighted" one.
    Ah ok, I see.

As long as it's only for learning purposes, I think it's O.K. to play around with the K-discs in 2023.
    LOL

I have read somewhere that HCenc produces better quality at low bitrates than TMPGenc, so give it a try and see the difference (if any) with your own eyes. One problem in HCenc: its maximum GOP size is only 36 frames. TMPGenc, on the other hand, does not have such limitation.
    I didn't see it mentioned anywhere, but I'll definitely give it a try.

Other MPEG-2 encoders which allow very-long GOPs are x262 and mpeg2enc (part of the MJPEGtools package).
    Would using these tools eliminate the need for the authoring program to reencode the video for the KDVD?

Not "similar" to DVDstyler, but DVD-lab Pro does accept "non-compliant" GOP sizes and "non-compliant" resolutions (frame dimensions).
    Wow, I would wouldn't have guessed based on the name. But it looks like it's no longer developed. I'll see if it can somehow still be purchased.

Thanks a bunch.

Originally Posted by Skiller View Post
    You can use DVDPatcher to patch the first resolution header to a resolution allowed on DVD, to trick the authoring software.
    I'm a bit lost on this one. Why would one need to do this?

HCenc produces better results at any watchable bitrates compared to TMPGenc 2.5(ish). If you read somewhere that TMPGenc 2.5 is good for low bitrates, it was probably written ~20 years ago, during the (X)VCD and (X)SVCD era, when there weren't many alternatives.
    That is one of the problems I've had while researching for this info, it's either outdated, contains broken links, or a message thread has an attachment that can't be downloaded if you're not logged in, but I can't log in because the forum is usually archived and I don't have a account not will it will allow me to register one.

Originally Posted by DVDLover00 View Post
    Also, DVD Rebuilder and HCgui, gonna help you.
    I'll take a look at those.

Many thanks guys.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    If you are using a DVD authoring software which rejects streams with a non-compliant resolution (from what I remember, "KDVD" for example may use a width of 528, which is not a legal width for DVD), you can use DVDPatcher to fool the authoring software into thinking the video actually has a compliant width (such as 720).

Whether you need this or not depends on how strict your authoring software is, and it only applies to authoring DVDs, not for (X)VCDs and (X)SVCDs. Also keep in mind this creates an off-standard disc which may not play correctly in every hardware player.

Although I would highly recommend you do go for DVD as a medium, not CDs. There is really no point in using CDs for video, too many restrictions.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Originally Posted by Skiller View Post
    If you are using a DVD authoring software which rejects streams with a non-compliant resolution (from what I remember, "KDVD" for example may use a width of 528, which is not a legal width for DVD), you can use DVDPatcher to fool the authoring software into thinking the video actually has a compliant width (such as 720).
    I see. I was under the impression that a KDVD could be in a variety of resolutions like an XVCD. But you're right, DVD has only four resolutions that are considered legal from what I read.

Whether you need this or not depends on how strict your authoring software is, and it only applies to authoring DVDs, not for (X)VCDs and (X)SVCDs. Also keep in mind this creates an off-standard disc which may not play correctly in every hardware player.
    Hmmm. Good to know. I think I'll stay away from that width of 528. I would at least like to stay around 704.

Although I would highly recommend you do go for DVD as a medium, not CDs. There is really no point in using CDs for video, too many restrictions.
    Yes, that's true but for shorter video projects (an hour or less) I like to use CDs as cDVDs in DVDStyler. I give these out to people when I want to show them something. Over here stores still sells lots of CD-Rs, much more than DVD-Rs.

Thank you.
    Quote Quote