VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. First of all this site has a lot of useful/helpful information, however the amount of posts about members camcorders is few and far between. Most are about how to extract from other media which to me seems a little strange. So I have to ask do members actully own a camcorder and edit and produce their own work or not. Just asking as I do my own.

for anyone interested this is my setup I use the most

[Attachment 66852 - Click to enlarge]

1= Azden smx -30v microphone (fantastic variable dial from stereo to directional )
    2= Panasonic VW-HU1 Handle on a
    3= Panasonic HC-X1500 camcorder
    4= Manfrotto Befree live tripod ( has built in ball adjustment for getting level)
    5= Remote switch on handle for on/off /zoom

The whole aim is to go for carrying a light setup with a 4K camcorder.

I do have a small Panasonic microphone as well VW-VMS10 if not too windy leaving the hot shot for extra lighting if wanted

[Attachment 66854 - Click to enlarge]
    Last edited by realspeed; 18th Sep 2022 at 10:39.
    Quote Quote  
  2. The reason we don't get too many posts about camcorders anymore is the fact that most people use their smart phones now to film events. But I feel your frustration as there are still some of us that use real video cameras.
    Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence -Carl Sagan
    Quote Quote  
  3. Originally Posted by TreeTops View Post
    most people use their smart phones now to film events.
    And if that wasn't bad enough, so many film in portrait mode
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    A little while back I was doing some travelling and wanted to shoot video, I could have done it with my phone, but I wanted to try 4k 60fps, I also wanted a camera that wouldn't be so expensive that if something happened to it, I'd lose my mind. So, I bought a cheap Chinese camcorder on Amazon. A "Yisence Tech" video camera. I expected it to be poor at best and I was delighted to find it's actually not bad at all. I was very happy with the results. Then a friend of mine was having his 60th birthday party and had 2 live bands. I set it up on a Tripod and connected a USB battery pack to the camera and mic and it worked fantastic. I even took some night vision video with it. A total of about 4 hours of video and it came out great. It's not comparable to the high-end video cameras but, if you want one that you don't really care if you drop it or it gets stolen, you can pick these up on Amazon for around $150 USD.
    It's not important the problem be solved, only that the blame for the mistake is assigned correctly
    Quote Quote  
  5. Most have moved to cell phone, which has small sensor and no good controls, bad ergonomics
    still using my Panasonic miniDV I bought in 2005, nowadays I de interlace, upscale to 720p and double framerate to 59.94 then encode to Blu-ray. I was planning to buy a canon r800 but I blinked and the price jumped by $100.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I still use a Camcorder(Sony HDR CX380).
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by realspeed View Post
    The whole aim is to go for carrying a light setup with a 4K camcorder.
    My goal is the same, but you and I have gone in slightly different directions. I have the same camera as you, minus the handle. I have been striving for several years to assemble the perfect lightweight setup (the camera has changed over the years of course) to use abroad, that transports easily and will fit in a cabin luggage-sized container. Each year I find I need another tweak, be it camera settings, technique or equipment changes, since I always find at least one shot I cannot take as I wish to due to the limitations of the equipment I have with me.

This year's setup, which I shall change a little for next year is:
    HC-X1500E
    Rode SVM Pro
    Three Legged Thing Punks Corey. Not a particularly good tripod per se, but excellent as a travel tripod as long as its limitations when extended are accepted. The leg screws forever loosening drives me mad!
    Ultra Stick 8. Very useful when a tripod is not practical.
    The HC-X1500 allows me to do things I have not been able to do with previous cameras, so next year I plan to revert to my Gorillapod Focus and ditch the Punks Corey.

I also carry a complete GoPro setup in a bum bag, which is always with me when on a filming trip:
    Hero 7 Black
    Puluz frame with mike adaptor holder, cold shoe and tripod thread
    Set of ND filters
    Rode Videomicro and a cold shoe extender to keep the dead kitten out of frame
    Gorillapod 500

For walking use at home, usually from the car, I have Manfrotto 190CX Pro 4 carbon fibre and magnesium alloy legs with a 701RC2 head, which I use most often.
    Quote Quote