VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi

Im new to the forum and since this weekend i have been lurking around on this forum, doom9 etc to gain some more knowlegde how to use virtualdub, avysinth and divx. I found lots of information about deinterlacing, artifacts, noise, flickering etc. But i didnt find any examples of posts on the forum or maybe a url of a website where you can view videos that need certain adjustments like mentioned above on how they would look "before" and "after" and what kind of solution (filter) people applied to solve or improve its quality. The reason why im asking is since there are so many filters, im questioning which one i should use as a basis. I have no idea where and how to start.... I have attached a image just as example of what i would like to learn. Keen to hear from you.

Regards,

Rik

Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I don't know where you got your before and after pic, but to me it looks like the kind of recovery you can only get from CSI.

If you spend some time reading (I know, boring) through posts in the Restoration forum, you will find many examples of filters and scripts, with examples and explanations.

Like many things in Digital video, there is rarely a single solution or cut and dried "this filter for this problem". More often that not you will need a combination of filters, and depending on what problems you are trying to fix, this combination will change. Some filters will work well together for some issues, but not so well for others.

The Restoration forum will give you lots of experiences, and lots of starting points. Ultimately though, you have to spend some (or a lot of) time experimenting to find what works best for you.
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks for the fast reply. Yeah your right i can imagine there isnt really a straight single solution and that it depends on what you are trying to fix. I have read that so far multiple times on all forums.

I found that image on a website, i have some more. I just like what they did with it. I talked to some else and he told me that it would be easy to do with changing the contrast, color and sharpness using the excisting tools.

I have been lurking a lot lately, i guess i need to spend some more time reading and trying to find my best fit. What do you mean with CSI? The TV show? Do you mean its fiction and cant be edited this way!!!!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by duster1234
    What do you mean with CSI? The TV show? Do you mean its fiction and cant be edited this way!!!!
    Basically, yes. I would suggest the labels are the wrong way around, and the photo has been reduced in quality deliberately. There simply isn't enough detail to get from the low quality to the high quality.

Because there are a dozen ways to skin most video cats, and so many different issues to possibly come up against, I would suggest you start by find one that is specific to something you are doing, and start working on a solution. This gives you focus, gets you a specific outcome, stops you suffering from information overload, and will allow you to ask specific questions in the forums to get real answers, not generic maybes.
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote  
  5. I suspect those samples are downscaled from a larger size and that the "after" image is actually the "before" image. In any case, the after image is way over sharpened. In a video it would have buzzing edges all over the place.

Here's a rough approximation with VirtualDub:

Note that starting with a small JPG file makes it harder because you have compression artifacts to deal with.

The Null Transform filter was used just to crop away the after image.

Levels was used to adjust the black and white levels and gamma to approximate the after image.

HSV to increase the saturation and shift a little towards red.

Sharpen to... sharpen. An Unsharpen Mask filter could have done a little better.

2d Cleaner to clean up some of the artifacts from sharpening a JPG source.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Oftentimes, the problem with video before-and-after samples on websites is that the single-frame examples offer no indication of how a filter will affect the MOTION. Overprocessed video can have terrible image lag and other artifacts. That's why you have to take many webpage before-and-after examples with a grain of salt, and take the time to experiment with short clips before committing.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks Jagabo for the example really appreciate it. Just did some testing with your set of filters and it looks nice. Im going to post the results later on when i have more time.

Yes filmboss you are right is better to do a lot of testing and you bet i will. I have found already lots of useful posts which will help me out but so far i didnt have the time to try them all out.

Cheers!
    Quote Quote  
  8. Note that video normally looks drab on a computer because computer monitors have very different gamma curves than televisions. Televisions also usually apply sharpening filters since video usually isn't so sharp. If your goal is to make video that is to be watched on TV you should be careful not make the video look great on the computer -- it will appear over sharp and washed out on TV.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks for the tip. I won't be using it to watch it on the TV >> only webbased.
    Quote Quote