VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Have this machine 6 - 7 years, a few years ago the digital TV tuner started going crazy.... just kept tuning channels continuously, couldn't get it to stop. Took it apart, cleaned, removed and reinserted a flat ribbon cable attached to the tuner circuit board. It worked for a while, then the tuner just got 'stuck' trying to do a simple channel scan....so it won't tune anything at all. Put it in the 'graveyard' closet in 2015, since I have many other recorders at my disposal.
    After recently resurrecting a Philips 3506 back to working condition, I took the Toshiba out for inspection, seems that flat ribbon cable is probably shot. Looked on line for a replacement, can't seem to find the correct one. It's 20 - pin, about 3 inches long, with blue insertion plastic on both ends. There are numbers stamped on it that read "AWM 20624 80C 60V". I saw a few similar flat ribbon cables on line, but none seem to match. Anyone know where I can find one ?? I'd like to give the DR660 one more chance before I trash it.
    Image Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	20170325_162050.jpeg
Views:	148
Size:	121.0 KB
ID:	41049  

Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search PM
    Do you think the cable is corroded through? I don't see what else could happen to it just sitting there inside the machine. Sounds more like you have a problem with a component or trace on the tuner board.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by JVRaines View Post
    Do you think the cable is corroded through? I don't see what else could happen to it just sitting there inside the machine. Sounds more like you have a problem with a component or trace on the tuner board.
    looks like the metallic contacts on the end of the ribbon cable are corroded or missing, not sure if that's the exact problem, but it wouldn't hurt to replace it
    Image Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	20170325_210141-1_jpeg.jpg
Views:	133
Size:	99.7 KB
ID:	41052  

Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search PM
    Yeah, those contacts look pretty ratty. Maybe you could touch them up with a conductive paint pen. Also you may have a short between #2 and #3.
    Quote Quote