VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. 1. when using tsremux to cut out other languages and the audio commentary of a bluray clip it plays back fine on the pc but when loading into a video editor i have no sound. what is going on?

2. also, does tsremux lose quality if i select bluray for the output option or should i choose another one?
    Quote Quote  
  2. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    What editor are you using? Check the remuxed version of the video with MediaInfo to see what audio format it has. It may be something like AAC that the editor doesn't understand. AC3 may be a better choice for audio. Also make sure the audio is compliant with your editor and not out of spec with it's audio codecs.

If the program is only muxing, there should be no quality loss.
    Quote Quote  
  3. using power director, the audio is dts. the editor recognised the dts audio before the remux though... ?

so selecting remux it doesnt matter what kind of stream it outputs to, ts bluray or m2ts? there will be no loss of quality in any of those selections>?
    Last edited by krohm; 22nd May 2010 at 17:28.
    Quote Quote  
  4. no quality loss, because tsmuxer does not re-encode

not sure why it doesn't register the audio after using tsmuxer, you could try decoding to mono wavs or lpcm and import separately
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Few edit packages pay the royalty for a DTS decoder.
    Recommends: Kiva.org - Loans that change lives.
    http://www.kiva.org/about
    Quote Quote  
  6. Originally Posted by poisondeathray View Post
    not sure why it doesn't register the audio after using tsmuxer, you could try decoding to mono wavs or lpcm and import separately
    how weird is that, the audio works when importing the original clip, but once ive tsmuxed it it now wont play the audio in the editor. the audio still plays in windoze though.

i dont really wanna be decoding and reencoding every single clip i use. i have 100s. they are already edited just need to remove the other audio streams so i can compile the clips... any other options here.. i need a video editor that will recognise the dts? but powerdirector recognised it before i tsmuxed it.. it just recognised all three audio streams.. what can i do here....
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Power Director would recognize PCM stereo and maybe AC3 stereo (needed for AVCHD and some MPeg2 camera formats).

It won't decompress DTS. Playing DTS and editing DTS require huge differences in licensing fees.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Originally Posted by edDV View Post
    Power Director would recognize PCM stereo and maybe AC3 stereo (needed for AVCHD and some MPeg2 camera formats).

It won't decompress DTS. Playing DTS and editing DTS require huge differences in licensing fees.
    so , it was recognising the ac3 within the audio stream and not the dts?
    so when i tsmuxed the other audio streams (languages/commentaries) out its just kept the dts and thats why i have no sound now?

or was powerdirector playing the dts initially?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    If you had DTS and AC3 streams of the same soundtrack then it would have been picking up the AC3 audio and you wouldn't have been able to tell the difference
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    The original probably had PCM stereo, AC3-5.1, AC3-stereo with dolby surround and DTS 5.1 tracks.

If your computer or player has the AC3 and/or DTS decoders (license paid) you can play those tracks. If you have Power DVD, you got the licensed DTS playback codec with that purchase.

Power Director as an editor must decode the 6 DTS audio tracks to sub frames so you can edit. It would need a much more expensive license. My bet is Power Director is limited to PCM (uncompressed), MP2, camcorder AC3 stereo and probably other Quicktime/Mpeg based formats, not DTS.
    Quote Quote  
  11. yeah so when i first loaded the video it has loaded the ac3-5.1 originally from the stream, not the dts.

so why now when ive removed the other languages and commentaries from the audio stream does powerdirector not load the ac3-5.1 ?

media info sais its dts, but does the stream have ac3 5.1 in it aswell...
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by krohm View Post
    yeah so when i first loaded the video it has loaded the ac3-5.1 originally from the stream, not the dts.

so why now when ive removed the other languages and commentaries from the audio stream does powerdirector not load the ac3-5.1 ?

media info sais its dts, but does the stream have ac3 5.1 in it aswell...
    You must have deleted all but DTS.
    Quote Quote  
  13. haha, just realised that was probably it, i used ts remux and just did one stream at a time, each one was other languages but the english must have been the dts only.

i tried tsmuxer just then to try and specify but it only has two ac3 5.1s and one ac3 stereo, and the two ac3 5.1s are in french and spanish. the dts is in english and the ac3 stereo is the audio commentary. how do i get the ac3 5.1 english
    Quote Quote  
  14. so you have 5.1 dts english?

If your editor doesn't accept it, I would convert to mono wavs and import. Converting to AC3 5.1 would be extra lossy (because your editor will decode to wav internally, then re-encode again for another loss when you export AC3), but it is another option (you could use eac3to to do either)
    Quote Quote  
  15. yeah it has the dts english but it doesnt give me the 5.1 ac3 english.. just the other languages.

convert the dts to wavs?
    Quote Quote  
  16. It's up to you, I listed 2 options

Some editors cannot handle multiple audio tracks (might be limited to 2, you should check), I'm not familiar with yours
    Quote Quote  
  17. how would i convert the dts to wavs..

then just readd them into the video editor along with the vid?

i dont want ac3 5.1 loss and then loss again
    Quote Quote  
  18. yes, eac3to - i already mentioned this above
    Quote Quote  
  19. oh sorry i read eac3to to change it to 5.1 not to do either
    Quote Quote  
  20. so is there no ac3-5.1 english on blurays? they just have dts and the other languages in 5.1?

how does it play english if you stick a bluray into a ps3 then?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    It varies from disc to disc. I have blurays that have DTS and AC3 English tracks, I have blurays that have only AC3 English tracks. There are no hard and fast rules except that it has to meet the BD specs.

As for the PS3, it can convert DTS to PCM if you just have stereo outputs, or pass the digital audio as a bitstream over HDMI or optical if you have a suitable amplifier.
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote  
  22. how the heck do u use eac3to..
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    It is a commandline tool, although there are GUIs for it. Most GUIs just have eacto as one of many tools they use to do a range of things. There is a GUI for audio work, but it is ugly and not the least bit intuitive.

I believe I tried to use it once, decided I had better things to do with my time, and converted the audio to a more usable form elsewhere instead.
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote  
  24. i have another post in the conversion section of the forum about trying to convert tga files into a lossless format i can load in a vid editor, it seems ill have to learn ffmpeg command lines to be able to do this.. and now im in the same situation with eac3to to convert dts into lossless audio. is there no other way to be able to work with this material losslessly without using command line programs....
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    TGA is lossless, but so is PNG, TIF and BMP. You can use irfanview to batch convert between formats. No commandline needed.

Audio is a bit trickier, but only because you want to preserve the DTS audio, which requires using software that costs $$$ (Surcode). You might be able to use something like mediacoder to convert the DTS to WAV, but you will ahve to play around yourself.
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote  
  26. If you're having problems figuring out eac3to or one of the gui's and want to learn the command line syntax
    http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Eac3to/How_to_Use

I think foobar2000 can convert "vanilla" dts to wav , but it doesn't do eac3to's gap correction, and I don't think it handles the other dts formats (eg. dts-ma, dts-es)
    Quote Quote