VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi,
    I would like to add a jpg in a mkv file at the beginig of the video, as a sign, without re-encoding the mkv filw.
    Which tool shall I use ?
    Or do you know to make a sign in a mkv file without re-encdoding it ?
    Thank you very much for answering.
    Quote Quote  
  2. The basic approach is to make a video from your jpg still . It has to be EXACTLY the same characteristics as the main video (including audio sample rate (you can use blank audio) , dimensions, frame rate, encoding settings, etc) , then use mkvtoolnix to join the 2. The "video still" has to be "re-encoded" and made into a video, but the main video doesn't have to be re-encoded. You can use mediainfo in text mode to find the encoding settings used in the main video. Avinaptic may help as well

The tools I would use are avisynth, and x264 . There is a bit of a learning curve on avisynth, but there are some GUI's for x264

Note: This topic has been addressed several times for other containers, but the steps are identical, except for the last one where you would use mkvtoolnix instead of vdub or avidemux. So there are instructions in other threads if you search
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanky you very much for you answering very quickly !.
    I will search more. Thks
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    The only problem I get that my mkv file doesn't have a bitrate.
    Quote Quote  
  5. the bitrate is least important to match, the more important characteristics are the resolution, fps , audio, etc..

besides, a video of a still image will usually not consume as much bitrate as a live action movie
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by flash_49 View Post
    The only problem I get that my mkv file doesn't have a bitrate.
    Yes it does. Every video file has a bitrate. Some are constant, some are variable, but no bitrate means no data means no video.
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote