VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 7
FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast
Thread
  1. Very bad policy, it would have been much better to keep supporting W7 or XP.
    Every later OS is less user-friendly and less intuitive.

And they keep vulnerabilities in the software deliberately to allow exploits to exist and force companies to upgrade "for their own safety".
    No one would need W11 if they made XP or W7 virus-proof but no, they didn't want to.

For the same reason chinese don't make quality products because if they did, you would buy from them only once in a decade.
    So they make crap to keep your money coming out from your wallet....
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by tuskacz View Post
    Very bad policy, it would have been much better to keep supporting W7 or XP.
    Every later OS is less user-friendly and less intuitive.

And they keep vulnerabilities in the software deliberately to allow exploits to exist and force companies to upgrade "for their own safety".
    No one would need W11 if they made XP or W7 virus-proof but no, they didn't want to.

For the same reason chinese don't make quality products because if they did, you would buy from them only once in a decade.
    So they make crap to keep your money coming out from your wallet....
    Microsoft could have maintained the appearance and many of the features from Windows XP's user interface or Windows 7 user interface across its later operating systems on computers, adding new features as needed. ...and develop a different OS for the Windows tablets and Windows phones. That being said, it is impossible to please everyone. I remember some people hated Windows 7's UI when it first came out. For example, there were a few VideoHelp members who complained for years that Windows 7 was bloated or the UI had too much eye candy or that its User Account Control was an unnecessary annoyance. (TBH I found the eye candy to be enjoyable.)

However, the complexity and messiness of indefinitely supporting all the old hardware from the days of Windows XP or Windows 7 plus all the new hardware that has come along since via patches is too great. The underlying code for the operating system has to be re-written at some point and support for some things has to be removed.

I have to point out that most people are already only buying a new copy of Windows when they buy/build a new PC or after 10 years when support ends.
    Ignore list: hello_hello, tried, TechLord, Snoopy329
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Is everything ok now with win11 I've tried it when it rolled out and it was too buggy?
    Quote Quote  
  4. DECEASED
    Search Comp PM
    Windows 11 is getting a new Task Manager design.

The new Task Manager even includes dark mode support.

https://www.theverge.com/2022/1/20/22892879/microsoft-windows-11-new-task-manager-design
    "Programmers are human-shaped machines that transform alcohol into bugs."
    Quote Quote  
  5. DECEASED
    Search Comp PM
    Windows 11 makes you (more) stupid.

«Microsoft still working on 3D emoji for Windows 11.»

https://www.theverge.com/2022/1/31/22910171/microsoft-3d-emoji-windows-11-work

[Attachment 63147 - Click to enlarge]
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by olman View Post
    Is everything ok now with win11 I've tried it when it rolled out and it was too buggy?
    I don't know what the bugs were like initially because I didn't try Windows 11 when it was first released. However, my new laptop arrived in December 2021 with Windows 11 Home installed and has already received some updates, so some bugs have probably been fixed. There is another update available that I can install today.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I've got Win 11 pro on 4 machines, there were minor bugs in the earliest insider previews, but I have found it to be better and better as time goes by.
    It's not important the problem be solved, only that the blame for the mistake is assigned correctly
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by El Heggunte View Post
    Windows 11 makes you (more) stupid.

«Microsoft still working on 3D emoji for Windows 11.»

https://www.theverge.com/2022/1/31/22910171/microsoft-3d-emoji-windows-11-work

[Attachment 63147 - Click to enlarge]
    People love Emojis.

I'm surprised there isn't an emoji OS
    'Do I look absolutely divine and regal, and yet at the same time very pretty and rather accessible?' - Queenie
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by ron spencer View Post

People love Emojis.

I'm surprised there isn't an emoji OS
    Yes, and it's not just kids making extensive use of them. One of my nephews, who is over 30, regularly sends texts to his mother that are mostly emojis and she tries to answer them in kind.
    Last edited by usually_quiet; 2nd Feb 2022 at 15:42. Reason: Emoji overdose.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Quote Quote  
  11. DECEASED
    Search Comp PM
    «I've called Windows 11 a pointless upgrade. My reasoning was that it came with compatibility problems and really added nothing to Windows 10. Sure, it includes better security. But, spoiler alert, most of those improvements were already in the Windows 10 20H2 release (the October 2020 Update). You just have to turn them on.

So, what is Windows 11's point? I think it's to slowly get you used to the idea of Windows as a Service (WaaS).»

https://www.computerworld.com/article/3652612/windows-11-the-end-of-the-old-school-win...s-desktop.html
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search Comp PM
    These sorts of predictions have been going on for years, often originating from those who have already made the decision to use Linux.. I am not going to worry about "Windows as a Service" being forced on consumers until it is officially announced.
    Quote Quote  
  13. DECEASED
    Search Comp PM
    More than half of PCs can't upgrade to Windows 11 — report.

New data from Lansweeper, an asset manager software provider, shows the uptake of Windows 11 at just 1.44% of all systems — the result of an inability to run the new OS.

https://www.computerworld.com/article/3657628/more-than-half-of-pcs-cant-upgrade-to-wi...11-report.html
    Quote Quote  
  14. Originally Posted by El Heggunte View Post
    More than half of PCs can't upgrade to Windows 11 — report.
    New data from Lansweeper, an asset manager software provider, shows the uptake of Windows 11 at just 1.44% of all systems — the result of an inability to run the new OS.
    You can also upgrade incompatible computers from Windows 10 to Windows 11, with preservation of all data and installed apps by bypassing the compatibility checks.
    Quote Quote  
  15. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Yes, it is true that Windows 11's CPU, RAM, and security requirements can be bypassed. https://www.tomshardware.com/how-to/bypass-windows-11-tpm-requirement

I replaced the motherboard in an otherwise compatible two-year-old PC because the motherboard's TPM interface was for the wrong TPM version and the BIOS did not provide a way to activate the substitute security feature provided by the CPU. A side benefit was that somehow in the process of replacing the motherboard I fixed a very annoying mystery problem that sporadically prevented the PC from waking from sleep.
    Quote Quote  
  16. Originally Posted by usually_quiet View Post
    These sorts of predictions have been going on for years, often originating from those who have already made the decision to use Linux.. I am not going to worry about "Windows as a Service" being forced on consumers until it is officially announced.
    Obviously no one should worry about something they can't control until it actually comes to pass, but the truth of the matter is that MS needs to do something like changing Windows to a SaaS model because the reality is that we are probably at the point where for most people there is no need to keep upgrading your pc and consequently needing a newer OS.
    Quote Quote  
  17. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by sophisticles View Post
    Originally Posted by usually_quiet View Post
    Obviously no one should worry about something they can't control until it actually comes to pass, but the truth of the matter is that MS needs to do something like changing Windows to a SaaS model because the reality is that we are probably at the point where for most people there is no need to keep upgrading your pc and consequently needing a newer OS.
    The personal computers that most people buy, laptops, can wear out or start to seem slow after 10 years, maybe less, and come with the current Windows OS pre-installed
    Quote Quote  
  18. DECEASED
    Search Comp PM
    Microsoft says Windows 11 is now ready for broad deployment.

Despite making Windows 11 available for broad deployment, Microsoft does not plan to impose it as it did in 2015 by force-updating users to Windows 10.
    The newest operating system remains optional, and you are free to stay with Windows 10, which will receive three more years of active support.

https://www.neowin.net/news/microsoft-says-windows-11-is-now-ready-for-broad-deployment/
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Does that mean the "You REALLY want to install Win11, don't you? DON'T YOU!?" nags I keep getting will stop?
    If cameras add ten pounds, why would people want to eat them?
    Quote Quote  
  20. Will Staxrip with AVsynth and all it's filters and tools work with Windows 11?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I hope there comes a time that I don't have worry about Windows pulling an upgrade stunt.
    Years ago, I was hoping that Linux is a good candidate. Just need a windows skin to wrap Linux and it's good to go.
    Quote Quote  
    drifting, somewhere on the Sea of Cynicism
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by pchan View Post
    I hope there comes a time that I don't have worry about Windows pulling an upgrade stunt.
    Years ago, I was hoping that Linux is a good candidate. Just need a windows skin to wrap Linux and it's good to go.
    A GREAT MANY have been waiting for exactly that for quite some time. (Does anyone recall the much touted though stillborn Lindows, years ago ? I think they were even talking about some mass-market approach involving Walmart, etc.) But, so far and for whatever reasons, this "easy and very compatible substitute" OS seems to remain a mirage in the desert.

If such an option ever became real and seamless, I have to think there would be some enormous (and global) stampede in that direction. But, can you suppose that MS would ever allow that to happen ?
    When in Las Vegas, don't miss the Pinball Hall of Fame Museum http://www.pinballmuseum.org/ -- with over 150 tables from 6+ decades of this quintessentially American art form.
    Quote Quote  
  23. DECEASED
    Search Comp PM
    Quote Quote  
  24. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Seeker47 View Post
    A GREAT MANY have been waiting for exactly that for quite some time. (Does anyone recall the much touted though stillborn Lindows, years ago ? I think they were even talking about some mass-market approach involving Walmart, etc.) But, so far and for whatever reasons, this "easy and very compatible substitute" OS seems to remain a mirage in the desert.

If such an option ever became real and seamless, I have to think there would be some enormous (and global) stampede in that direction. But, can you suppose that MS would ever allow that to happen ?
    The product's name is what sparked the lawsuit (too much like "Windows"). "Lindows" (now called Linspire and currently owned by PC/OpenSystems LLC.) still exists. See https://www.linspirelinux.com/p/about-linspire.html

However, the GUI for every version of Windows is patented and copyrighted, so no Linux wrapper can be designed to look exactly like Windows.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by usually_quiet View Post
    Originally Posted by Seeker47 View Post

The product's name is what sparked the lawsuit (too much like "Windows"). "Lindows" (now called Linspire and currently owned by PC/OpenSystems LLC.) still exists. See https://www.linspirelinux.com/p/about-linspire.html

However, the GUI for every version of Windows is patented and copyrighted, so no Linux wrapper can be designed to look exactly like Windows.
    Thanks. That's the first update or epilog to that story I've seen -- and it's been quite a few years.
    When in Las Vegas, don't miss the Pinball Hall of Fame Museum http://www.pinballmuseum.org/ -- with over 150 tables from 6+ decades of this quintessentially American art form.
    Quote Quote  
  26. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Lindows is also charging a monthly fee and to me that's a deal breaker,no thanks.
    I think,therefore i am a hamster.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by johns0 View Post
    Lindows is also charging a monthly fee and to me that's a deal breaker,no thanks.
    Software by subscription for a limited term has been an increasing trend for some time now, but I don't like it either.
    Quote Quote  
  28. DECEASED
    Search Comp PM
    Microsoft's ex-User Experience chief is "shocked" by poor design of Windows 11's Start menu.

«The redesigned Start menu is arguably one of the most divisive features in Windows 11. However, Microsoft believes that it is a great piece of engineering and provides an amazing user experience, something that it regularly advertises to consumers. However, it is interesting to know that a former Microsoft executive who is quite authoritative in this domain isn't a fan of Windows 11's Start menu either.»

source: https://www.neowin.net/news/microsofts-ex-user-experience-chief-is-shocked-by-poor-des...1s-start-menu/
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Still getting great use out of Classic Shell / Open Shell:

(but have no info re its applicability to Win 11, if you happened to be using that . . . )

Excerpts from an info file that I keep:

Classic Shell is a freeware, formerly open-source software for Microsoft Windows that restores several usability-oriented Windows user interface (shell) features, File Explorer features and Internet Explorer features which have been removed by Microsoft.

Does Classic Shell affect performance?
    Short answer: No. Classic Shell under normal circumstances and use should not cause any Windows slowdowns or affect Windows performance or stability in any way. It does not do permanent or dangerous modifications to Windows files on the disk.

Classic Shell is released as free and open-source under the MIT license. Founder Ivo Beltchev announced the end of development in December 2017. Classic Shell has picked up development once again under the name*Open Shell*and has been actively maintained and developed since 2018.

Open Shell. Open Shell is a fork of the Classic Shell project for Windows that getting back the classic start menu to modern versions

The good news is that Windows 10 is highly customizable, so you can engineer its design to look nearly the same as Windows 7. With a few tweaks to elements like wallpaper, color scheme, and default browser, you'll be back to a Windows 7-style set up in no time.

https://www.pcworld.com/article/3067296/how-to-get-windows-7s-start-menu-in-windows-10.html

https://www.howtogeek.com/277448/how-to-make-windows-10-look-and-act-more-like-windows-7/

https://github.com/Open-Shell/Open-Shell-Menu <==
    {latest non-beta version is 4.4.170}
    Quote Quote