VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I need to purchase a reliable Chromebook that will only be used for playing MP3 and MIDI files in a live performance situation. That will be its only job, won't be loaded with apps, no multitasking. The MIDI files would be played via an android karaoke app via a soundfont.. Obviously any chromebook can handle this simple task, but what CPU would you recommend going with in the lower end models (intel, amd, mediatek)? Need a device that is reliable, doesn't choke or crash, stutter, etc. Thanks for any suggestions!
    Quote Quote  
  2. Quick shot:
    If your application supports ARM architecture, go with this one. Lower Temerature kind of automatically guarantees better 24/7 operations. You are free to take the fastest ARM that you can get for convenience reasons, it's power consumption and therefore heat production will be a lot lower than non ARM. Anyway independent of the CPU that you choose, have in mind that chrombooks are generally not built having your usecase in mind. Instead there might exist dedicated hardware devices for that.
    You might even consider just going with a raspberry or similar, a simple board in a case might deliver a lot smaller surface for hardware errors.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks for the reply. I actually decided to go with a used Windows laptop as another need arose that a chromebook wouldn't be able to fulfill. I suppose that a laptop with a clean install of Windows, and no bloatware running should be fine for the tasks.
    Quote Quote