VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search PM
    In Windows 10 default app for PDF is reset to Microsoft Edge despite associating to another app (with Open with > Choose another app > Always use this app to open .pdf files and under Settings > Apps > Default apps > Choose default apps by file type). I believe this is a known issue, but has anyone managed to find a solution that actually works?
    Quote Quote  
  2. Use a different browser maybe?
    Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence -Carl Sagan
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search PM
    I use other browsers too, but this makes no difference.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I have PDF open in Firefox and it works without issues. (Windows 10 21H1)
    I also have default apps > web browser > Firefox
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search PM
    I haven't tried Firefox, but prefer not to use a browser as default app for PDF.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    It is something to do with your system. I work daily with hundreds of win10 computers (usually more recent versions), and have not had any problem changing the default for pdf. And keeping it that way.

A browser or os update will often reset the prefs, but it is pretty straightforward to re-reset them back. Done.
    I use a script using SetUserFTA.

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Right click on a pdf file, select properties, next to "Opens with" click the "change" button and change it to whatever you want i.e. Adobe Reader DC
    It's not important the problem be solved, only that the blame for the mistake is assigned correctly
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search PM
    Associating to another app works briefly, but then default app for PDF is reset to Microsoft Edge. There are many threads in various forums about this issue, so this is not a unique problem with the system I am using. And the problem appears without performing any updates and without running Microsoft Edge.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Maybe this would help:
    https://www.groovypost.com/howto/debloat-windows-10-with-windows-debloater/
    On this website, about half-way down, you can see this:
    You can enable or disable Cortana, Edge PDF takeover (where Edge takes over as your default PDF application), and enable or disable Windows Dark Theme.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by kyrcy View Post
    Associating to another app works briefly, but then default app for PDF is reset to Microsoft Edge. There are many threads in various forums about this issue, so this is not a unique problem with the system I am using. And the problem appears without performing any updates and without running Microsoft Edge.
    It may not be unique to your setup, but there is very likely a common thread to how you and those others are building their systems that is making it susceptible to this problem. Could be retaining an MS-centric background running process, could be running an app which does not follow modern Win OS rules that triggers a "needed reset", or could be a call to DISM in a script that requests a reset, etc. Lots of variables there, unfortunately.

What I am saying is that it is fairly simple to build a system where this does not happen, as I do this on a regular basis.

"Briefly"? Is that seconds, minutes, hours, days, weeks, months...?

Just a wild guess, but might you be using a Home version of Windows? Bad idea.

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by Cornucopia View Post
    "Briefly"? Is that seconds, minutes, hours, days, weeks, months...?
    Minutes or hours.

Originally Posted by Cornucopia View Post
    Just a wild guess, but might you be using a Home version of Windows? Bad idea.
    Pro version.
    Quote Quote