VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    [Attachment 62637 - Click to enlarge]

[Attachment 62638 - Click to enlarge]

[Attachment 62639 - Click to enlarge]

Sometimes, but not always, when I try to play a video file that is saved to my computer (Windows 10) the colouring is completely off. The video is kind of like black and white with lots of purple and green. This only happens when the files that I am playing are 2160p or above.

This never happens when I am playing HD videos and only sometimes happens when the video is above full HD. I know for a fact that there is not a problem with the files at all. I think maybe something to do with the settings within the app or codec?

I use SMPlayer as it runs perfectly. VLC player freezes a lot and crashes for some reason. Regardless, this problem with the colouring happens with both players. And also with any other player that I have tried downloading.

I have tried googling this but have not found a relevant thread etc. probably because I am a noob. If someone could provide a solution for SMPlayer I would be very thankful. Cheers guys.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Also, this is my first time using this forum so please let me know if the thread is in the wrong category. Thanks!
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Apparently this is because my laptop does not have HDR?

I am running a Lenovo Y700 that I bought for £1000 or $1350 in 2016
    Quote Quote  
  4. You don't have an HDR display and you your players aren't tone mapping for your SDR display. I suspect your files are Dolby Vision HDR (as opposed to HDR10, HDR10+ and HLG) and there aren't any free players that currently support it on SDR displays.

https://www.pcmag.com/news/what-is-hdr-high-dynamic-range
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    You don't have an HDR display and you your players aren't tone mapping for your SDR display. I suspect your files are Dolby Vision HDR (as opposed to HDR10, HDR10+ and HLG) and there aren't any free players that currently support it on SDR displays.

https://www.pcmag.com/news/what-is-hdr-high-dynamic-range
    I actually don't even know if my laptop is HDR or not. I have a Lenovo Y700.

Also, I just right-clicked a file and clicked on properties and couldn't see where to check if the file is HDR.

Can you recommend a paid-for player that I could use?

Is there a way to play the files using SDR?

Thanks again!
    Quote Quote  
  6. Originally Posted by Harry Houdini View Post
    I actually don't even know if my laptop is HDR or not. I have a Lenovo Y700.
    If you don't know you probably don't have an HDR display. And I'm pretty sure you could not get an HDR laptop for ~US$1350 five years ago.

Originally Posted by Harry Houdini View Post
    Also, I just right-clicked a file and clicked on properties and couldn't see where to check if the file is HDR.
    Try using MediaInfo in View -> Text mode. Look in the video properties section.

Can you recommend a paid-for player that I could use?
    I don't know of one. But that's certainly not a area in which I have a lot of knowledge.

Is there a way to play the files using SDR?
    That's what tone mapping is all about. Mapping HDR video to whatever your monitor/TV supports.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I have used VLC and the Windows 10/11 Movies and TV App, which are free, for playing video with HDR10 and HLG HDR. They use tone mapping for HDR10 and HLG HDR to simulate HDR on an SDR display but they don't work for Dolby Vision.

I'm not aware of any software players, either free or paid, that can simulate Dolby Vision on an SDR display.
    Ignore list: hello_hello, tried, TechLord, Snoopy329
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by usually_quiet View Post
    I have used VLC and the Windows 10/11 Movies and TV App, which are free, for playing video with HDR10 and HLG HDR. They use tone mapping for HDR10 and HLG HDR to simulate HDR on an SDR display but they don't work for Dolby Vision.

I'm not aware of any software players, either free or paid, that can simulate Dolby Vision on an SDR display.
    For some reason VLC is lagging and slow as hell for me. But SMPlayer works perfectly and I love the UI and some of it's features it has also.

So, this just happened.. I opened my files with the free 'Films & TV' app that I think you just mentioned, it comes for free with Windows, and a pop-up box appeared with this message:

"To play this video, you need a new codec. Download the codec from the Microsoft Store. HEVC Video Extensions £0.79"

Here is what I want to know:
    1. If I pay for this codec, will it even work on my laptop?
    2. Does that mean I can only use it with this ‘Films & TV’ app? Because I would much rather use SMPlayer, or VLC but only if it can work without freezing, which seems unlikely because it freezes even with regular HD videos.
    3. Is it possible for it to tone map for SDR?

Just to let you all know, I basically have movies and series in 2160p or 4K etc. and I just want to watch them without the purple/green colouring that is happening. I just want the colour to be right and don’t care if it is HDR or Dolby Vision or not.

So, if my files are DV it’s basically impossible for me to play them without everything being purple and green?

Sorry for my noob-ish replies but hope you guys can help me. It’s 6am here and my brain is fired. Thanks again.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Originally Posted by Harry Houdini View Post

For some reason VLC is lagging and slow as hell for me. But SMPlayer works perfectly and I love the UI and some of it's features it has also.

So, this just happened.. I opened my files with the free 'Films & TV' app that I think you just mentioned, it comes for free with Windows, and a pop-up box appeared with this message:

"To play this video, you need a new codec. Download the codec from the Microsoft Store. HEVC Video Extensions £0.79"

2. Does that mean I can only use it with this ‘Films & TV’ app? Because I would much rather use SMPlayer, or VLC but only if it can work without freezing, which seems unlikely because it freezes even with regular HD videos.

Just to let you all know, I basically have movies and series in 2160p or 4K etc. and I just want to watch them without the purple/green colouring that is happening. I just want the colour to be right and don’t care if it is HDR or Dolby Vision or not.

So, if my files are DV it’s basically impossible for me to play them without everything being purple and green?

Sorry for my noob-ish replies but hope you guys can help me. It’s 6am here and my brain is fired. Thanks again.
    The problem is the Dolby Vision encoding. I've run into this myself. If you have the means to do so, go back to the source and acquire the basic H265/HEVC encoded version. I spent probably a day screwing around with transcoding and color filtering in FFMpeg trying to fix my file. I finally realized that the entire problem is that nothing except Quicktime is correctly parsing the video data.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by darkw4v3 View Post

The problem is the Dolby Vision encoding. I've run into this myself. If you have the means to do so, go back to the source and acquire the basic H265/HEVC encoded version. I spent probably a day screwing around with transcoding and color filtering in FFMpeg trying to fix my file. I finally realized that the entire problem is that nothing except Quicktime is correctly parsing the video data.

I just downloaded QuickTime but the app is terrible and wouldn't play the file at all with an error message.

So, basically does this mean before I ever download movies or series I will always have to check beforehand whether it is HEVC or not.

It appears that almost everything at 2160p or above is in fact HEVC so that means I am screwed.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Originally Posted by Harry Houdini View Post
    Originally Posted by darkw4v3 View Post

I just downloaded QuickTime but the app is terrible and wouldn't play the file at all with an error message.

So, basically does this mean before I ever download movies or series I will always have to check beforehand whether it is HEVC or not.

It appears that almost everything at 2160p or above is in fact HEVC so that means I am screwed.
    If you tried to transcode the original DL'd file with FFMpeg - then the output is garbage in this case. It's the original encoder used that's the problem. You need to avoid any video codecs that start with "dv" so "dvh1" etc. If you are pulling from an MPD and re-assembling, the representation element should have a codecs attribute that will indicate this.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Originally Posted by Harry Houdini View Post
    It appears that almost everything at 2160p or above is in fact HEVC
    Keep in mind that HEVC and HDR aren't the same thing. Video can be encoded with HEVC but with or without HDR. Video can be HDR but not HEVC -- VP9 with HDR is common too. If you get the HEVC decoder for Windows you can probably play HEVC up to 1080p60. I don't think your CPU can handle HEVC at 2160p60. Mabye 2160p24. Then when you add tone mapping from HDR to SDR on top of that you'll have even more trouble.

so that means I am screwed.
    On your old laptop? Probably.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Search Comp PM

Your Lenovo Y700 has an Intel Core i7-6700HQ processor with Intel HD 530 graphics. It also has Nvidia GeForce GTX 960M GPU.

2160p video with HDR is either HEVC or AV1. HEVC is used for 4K TV broadcasts, UHD Blu-ray, and sometimes for streaming. AV1 is only used for streaming.

The Core i7-6700HQ processor is a little underpowered to decode 4K HEVC on its own but your laptop can perform hardware-assisted decoding. The Intel HD 530 iGPU is capable of decoding HEVC Main and Main 10 5.1 at 2160p (4K) using Quick Sync Video. The Nvidia GeForce GTX 960M GPU can also decode HEVC employing a hybrid offloading solution that uses the GPU (hardware) and CPU (driver/software).

However, even though your laptop is capable of hardware-assisted 4K HEVC decoding, you also need the Microsoft HEVC Video Extension for the Movies and TV App or other Microsoft video players to work. I don't think the Microsoft HEVC Video Extension is used by video players other than Microsoft's.

Unfortunately, your laptop is too old to perform hardware-assisted AV1 decoding and too underpowered to decode 4K AV1 using software codecs. You would need an Intel Tiger Lake processor (or newer) to decode AV1 using Quick Sync Video. I don't think there is currently an Nvidia mobile GPU that can decode AV1.

I have a new HP Pavilion Laptop PC 15-eg1000 that I used for testing. It has a 1080p SDR display and an 11th Gen Intel Core i5-1155G7 (Tiger Lake) processor but no mobile GPU. It has Windows 11 installed. The iGPU supports Quick Sync Video decoding for AV1 and HEVC.

I had no luck playing HDR videos using SMPlayer. It stuttered whenever I tried to play a 4K video with HDR. The latest version of VLC plays HEVC video that has static HDR smoothly, with tone-mapped successfully applied in every video I tried. The Microsoft Movies and TV App also played the test videos smoothly but the tone-mapping was overly bright in one video, IMO. These were demo videos downloaded from YouTube or another site that provides demo videos. I'm not sure what is causing your problems with VLC or what settings you should change to try to fix them.

Since there is no point in trying anything with Dolby Vision until I get a TV that can decode and display it, I don't have any video files with Dolby Vision to try.
    Last edited by usually_quiet; 31st Dec 2021 at 16:12.
    Quote Quote  
  14. You might be able to get colors that are watchable using MPCHC or MPCBE. Use the proc amp to turn the hue down to -75 and the saturation up to somewhere between 1.2 and 1.5.

before adjustments:
    [Attachment 62663 - Click to enlarge]

after adjustments:
    [Attachment 62664 - Click to enlarge]

Brightness and contrast will probably still be off. And all those settings can change throughout the movie so those settings may not work for the whole thing.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    They look like Dolby Vision files that are being played on any PC or MAC computers. I've not heard of any software that you could use to the remove DV if you elected to remux..
    SONY 75" Full array 200Hz LED TV, Yamaha A1070 amp, Zidoo UHD3000, BeyonWiz PVR V2 (Enigma2 clone), Chromecast, Windows 11 Professional, QNAP NAS TS851
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Depending on the Dolby Vision profile, quietvoid's dovi tool is a utility that can extract, convert & inject DV metadata. It can also demux into BL and EL+RPU elementary streams. As such it could be possible that OP's source can be remuxed to 'baselayer only'. But given the issues with his hardware, I doubt it to be helpful.

As for playback software, I have no issues with DV/HDR playback using PotPlayer. It plays only baselayer in case of DV and can map HDR down for an SDR monitor.

Seeing the weird coloring issues, I wonder if OP's source is DV profile 5. Which uses non-backward compatible DV's IPTPQc2. Most other used profiles have backward compatibility by using a more commonly supported baselayer. Admitting I have no practical experience with profile 5, I do wonder whether it can only be played back correctly when using special DV hard- or software.
    Quote Quote  
  17. The few Dolby Video files I have that show the odd colors colors are profile 5.
    Quote Quote  
  18. Check if your PC just made a stack update. My PC played them fine until that update.
    Also this update cannot be uninstalled.
    Plex still streams ok from the same PC to Smart TV.

Free version of HEVC is Here...

ms-windows-store://pdp/?ProductId=9n4wgh0z6vhq

Still makes no difference to me though.

Dont know why this update has affected my video driver for HEVC only , all other media plays fine.

Anyone got any bright ideas?

I will be trying different drivers to find a solution.

Cheers.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Richie Retro View Post
    Check if your PC just made a stack update. My PC played them fine until that update.
    If you are referring to P5 DV files, I'd like to know what player did play them ok.
    I now have a few P5 DV files which play properly on my DV standalone mediaplayer. But I can't get them right on pc.
    Because of the proprietary IPTPQc2 colorspace I'd still guess Dolby-licensed hard- or software is required.
    Quote Quote  
  20. OP
    please get a UHD HDR TV, UHD Blu-ray Player and some 4K discs

your equipment isn't built to handle neither 4K or HDR

your laptop isn't for optimal viewing
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Beware that not every UHD(BD) player and UHD-HDR TV is DV compliant. "Non-DV" will not handle Dolby Vision content properly.
    Quote Quote  
  22. I know it's been almost a year but this thread helped me so thought I'd chime in incase it helps someone else.
    I own a Samsung TV connected to a 13th Gen Intel HTPC, Nvidia RTX 2060 vie a HDMI 2.1 cable and some 2160p videos displayed correctly while others didn't...the ones that didn't display correctly played but looked green and purple like the OP's screen caps.
    The OP also mentioned that the vids played fine, just the colours are out of whack, so while our hardware setups are wildly different I believe the underlying cause is the same.

Short story, I just need to avoid "DV" (Dolby Vision) encoded videos, HDR/HDR10/HDR10+ encoded videos are fine.

Longer story, DV is Dolby's HDR proprietary standard and requires a licensing fee, none of my hardware has that licensing fee built in. I can (apparently) purchase the "HEVC Video Extensions" codec for a couple of dollars for Windows (I doubt this would work either as the same message comes up when it tries to render files that are fine, HDR10+ for instance, I have a feeling it would render the DV file with the same issue) or I can simply avoid those titles, I choose the latter.

Thanks for everyone's help!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    To play Dolby Vision files everything in the chain must support DV, media player A/V amp and TV. Your laptop can't do that.
    Dolby Vision uses Color primaries BT.2020
    and
    SDR uses Color primaries BT.709
    SONY 75" Full array 200Hz LED TV, Yamaha A1070 amp, Zidoo UHD3000, BeyonWiz PVR V2 (Enigma2 clone), Chromecast, Windows 11 Professional, QNAP NAS TS851
    Quote Quote  
  24. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by SpaceBaghrr View Post
    I know it's been almost a year but this thread helped me so thought I'd chime in incase it helps someone else.
    I own a Samsung TV connected to a 13th Gen Intel HTPC, Nvidia RTX 2060 vie a HDMI 2.1 cable and some 2160p videos displayed correctly while others didn't...the ones that didn't display correctly played but looked green and purple like the OP's screen caps.
    The OP also mentioned that the vids played fine, just the colours are out of whack, so while our hardware setups are wildly different I believe the underlying cause is the same.

Short story, I just need to avoid "DV" (Dolby Vision) encoded videos, HDR/HDR10/HDR10+ encoded videos are fine.

Longer story, DV is Dolby's HDR proprietary standard and requires a licensing fee, none of my hardware has that licensing fee built in. I can (apparently) purchase the "HEVC Video Extensions" codec for a couple of dollars for Windows (I doubt this would work either as the same message comes up when it tries to render files that are fine, HDR10+ for instance, I have a feeling it would render the DV file with the same issue) or I can simply avoid those titles, I choose the latter.

Tha-ks for everyone's help!
    Long story short, if the display doesn't support a particular type of HDR, there is no way to add it to the display.

Samsung decided to support HDR10+ instead of Dolby Vision. Most other major brands do the reverse -- their UHD TVs support Dolby Vision but not HDR10+. Hisense and TCL are the only brands I have seen with support for both HDR+ and Dolby Vision. Of the two (Dolby Vision and HDR10+), Dolby Vision is probably more common. However, HDR10 is normally available too, since some displays don't support dynamic HDR of any kind.
    Last edited by usually_quiet; 18th Mar 2023 at 13:19.
    Quote Quote