VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. whats the best PAID blu-ray authoring software?

want to be able to add some videos, select a menu, edit video titles, and create the blu-ray disk, simple
    Last edited by muddy7; 27th Nov 2021 at 19:54.
    Quote Quote  
  2. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    For me it's tmpg authoring works 6.
    I think,therefore i am a hamster.
    Quote Quote  
  3. most of my videos are in mkv format
    Quote Quote  
  4. wish there was avs2dvd version for blu-ray, avs2BD
    Quote Quote  
  5. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    tmpg authoring works 6 works with mkv.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    muddy7, you can try TMPGEnc Authoring Works 6 before buying. TMPGEnc Authoring Works 6 has a free 30-day trial.
    Ignore list: hello_hello, tried, TechLord, Snoopy329
    Quote Quote  
  7. I am owning TMPGEnc Authoring Works 6. It's easy to use and you can produce nice Menus or download nice Menu Templates - but all of it is very strict. For example you can't use your own pictures as a Menu background - and:

- it ALWAYS reencodes the Videos, if they only slightly differ in a single point in their Bluray Compliance Window

So there is no VIDEO and no AUDIO Passthrough Option, which is really annoying. My wish would be that the Program warns you about not beeing 100% Bluray compatible, but that you can finally decide on your own whether the Video or Audio is reencodet or NOT. But that is not possible. That is really nerving. Therefore I always use MultiAVCHD. But MultiAVCHD is not developed anymore since more than 10 Years and it still has a lot of Bugs. So my Question is:

Does anybody know a Bluray (+AVCHD-)-Authoring Programm, which has some nice Menu Templates and where it is possible to NOT always reencode the Videos - even if they are not 100% exactly Bluray Compliant? A Program which allows Video and Audio Passthrough? (Apart from MultiAVCHD). It mustn't be very cheap, but shouldn' cost hundreds or thousands of dollars and even shouldn't be much too complicated...

Thanks in advance
    Quote Quote  
  8. Originally Posted by bananenmann View Post
    For example you can't use your own pictures as a Menu background
    Sure you can. Use Background Edit and choose a still. It's clunkier than it should be, but it definitely works.
    Quote Quote  
  9. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    The reason it re-encodes a lot of videos is cause most are non-compliant to begin with,if authored that way there's a chance blu-ray players will reject it,and commercial blu-ray and dvd will not be re-encoded as long as they aren't touched or encoded to be compliant
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by bananenmann View Post
    Does anybody know a Bluray (+AVCHD-)-Authoring Programm, which has some nice Menu Templates and where it is possible to NOT always reencode the Videos - even if they are not 100% exactly Bluray Compliant? A Program which allows Video and Audio Passthrough? (Apart from MultiAVCHD). It mustn't be very cheap, but shouldn' cost hundreds or thousands of dollars and even shouldn't be much too complicated...
    I haven't seen any licensed Blu-ray authoring software that doesn't enforce compliance with the Blu-ray spec either by rejecting out-of-spec video and audio or by re-encoding it for compliance with the spec.

Maybe unlicensed, reverse-engineered, Blu-ray authoring software like DVDFab Blu-ray Creator would tolerate video and audio that is slightly out of spec but since I have not tried it, I can't be sure.
    Quote Quote  
  11. I know the reason why lots of programs want bluray compliance, but as I said I want a program which let's ME choose whehther I still want to use the Non-Compliant Video (without reencoding) or not. A warning about that fact should be enough and if I still want to use it, it's my risk and it may not work on a standalone Player. (My LG Bluray Player is not so picky.) Reencoding always means a loss of quality (again).

About TMPGEnc Aouthoring Works:
    OK, maybe I can create a Background Image on myself but I still don't like the software anymore. I've bought the previous Version and I upgraded to TMPGEnc Authoring Works 6, same with TMPGEncoder Mastering Works 5 and 6 - so I've already paid nearly 200 - 300 $ and it still have lots of things which make me crazy. Why the hell it is still not possible to use Audio Passthrough? Even If you choose for example a Video with 5.1 AC3 @ 640 kbps Sound (import) and want to export it to AC3 5.1 @ 640 kbps I'm not shure whether there is a reencoding or not. In this case I chosse the Option to not reencode, if the same type of Audio is used - but I suspect the program to still reencode the audio. And it is only possible to export to LPCM or AC3 (Bluray). No DTS, DTS-HD RA or DTS-HD MA or EAC3, TRUE-HD etc. Most of those Files you can't even import or maybe with tricks... Tht's the reason why I did not an upgrade to Mastering Works 7 - because there is no big difference (I dont need any 8K encoding) ...No, a simple audio passthrough option for all typical bluray audio formats would be enough but is still not integrated.

And I even don't like DVDFab. It's good for making a Full-backup of your blurays, but I would never encode something with it because of the bad quality it produces. I just need something simple like MultiAVCHD. This program is great. It also refuses totally non compliant Videos or transcodes them, but it is not so picky and allows minor differnces to the Bluray standard. And you can adjust it to passthrough all typical Bluray Adio Files. Unfortunately it has lots of bugs. Some of them I was able to find workarounds, but some can only be fixed by the coder which stopped working on it in 2012. One Bug for example: you can create chapter menus with more than 12 chapters and on each chapter-page you see 12 liitle Pictures. But on the second chapter Page you can't navigate anymore (only on the first chapter page. This is a known bug of the coder, but he never fixed it). Or: you cant use E-AC3 Audio without errors. My workaround: Muxing a Video with E-AC3 with ts-muxer to a Bluray Folder and import it in MultiAVCHD. That works. But it is very stressfull to apply all workarounds or do not have anyone for a special problem.

So I'm searching something simple and similar to MultiAVCHD. Please give me a hint

P.s.
    Look at the picture: TMPGEnc Authoring works says that this example Video file is not Bluray Compliant and forces me to reencode it. I am shure my Bluray Player has no problem with the original, because I tested it with MultiAVCHD. So I dont want a reencode and preserve it's quality. With TMPGEnc this is not possible and that makes me very angry.

[Attachment 62085 - Click to enlarge]
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search Comp PM
    @bananenmann This is someone else's thread and his idea of "best" is probably not the same as yours. I hope that the thread starter will come back.

Finding out if there is something to satisfy all or most of your requirements is likely to be a process of elimination. Fortunately, there aren't that many consumer Blu-ray authoring packages for you to try. I don't know if it allows doing all the things you want or how strict it is WRT compliance with the spec but have you ever tried Blu-Disc Studio Lite (free)?
    Quote Quote  
  13. I also answered his question. TMPGEnc Authoring Works 6 is easy to use, but expensive and lacks a lot of things (see my texts above). The "best" thing for his (and mine) purpose is still MultiAVCHD, because it's also easy to use, it's less limited and it's free.!!! ... But it has a lot of bugs.

Thanks for your hint: I tried out Blue Disc Studio Lite, but it is much too complicated. It seems to be aprofessional tool for authoring and you have to invest a lot of time to build up just a single Menu layout...
    Quote Quote