VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. what is the best voltage regulation and surge protection for pc that you can get at a reasonable price? or do you get pc power supply units that is well capable of doing this by themselves ? here where i stay someone switched the earth and the positive connections around the wrong way. apparently this causes severe damage over time. ow do i test my ac 240 v 50hz to see if its correct?

thank you
    Quote Quote  
  2. Depends what you call “weasonable”, but a decent UPS is not that expensive. I have a Nitram Power Boxx 850 LCD, which I purchased used for 50€ about 5 years ago (recently changed the battery, paid 27€ for it alone). If you have the slightest worry regarding the reliability of your electrical installation, and care about your equipments (and data), I would say that a UPS is mandatory. There are three designs called “off line”, “line in” and “on line”, the first one is found on cheap models which should be avoided, the second is generally considered suitable for home use while not too expensive, the third is found on high end models, and is targeted toward professional environments where utmost reliability is required, overkill for home use.

Otherwise, if you're not the owner of the appartment / house, and are in a place where owners / landlords are expected to conform to safety regulations, have them fix it ASAP, or else get Joe Pesci to go make them an offer they won't refuse.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Originally Posted by abolibibelot View Post
    Depends what you call “weasonable”, but a decent UPS is not that expensive. I have a Nitram Power Boxx 850 LCD, which I purchased used for 50€ about 5 years ago (recently changed the battery, paid 27€ for it alone). If you have the slightest worry regarding the reliability of your electrical installation, and care about your equipments (and data), I would say that a UPS is mandatory. There are three designs called “off line”, “line in” and “on line”, the first one is found on cheap models which should be avoided, the second is generally considered suitable for home use while not too expensive, the third is found on high end models, and is targeted toward professional environments where utmost reliability is required, overkill for home use.

Otherwise, if you're not the owner of the appartment / house, and are in a place where owners / landlords are expected to conform to safety regulations, have them fix it ASAP, or else get Joe Pesci to go make them an offer they won't refuse.

thank you
    Quote Quote