VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I have a Windows XP machine with this board:

https://download1.gigabyte.com/Files/Manual/motherboard_manual_ga-ep45-ud3(r)_e.pdf

I want to upgrade the video card (no gaming, no video encoding) so that I can use an HDTV as a monitor. What video card do you recommend I get?

Thank you!

EDIT: The board has "1 x PCI Express x16 slot, running at x16 (The PCI Express x16 slot conforms to PCI Express 2.0 standard)"

So I guess any video card with that, and an HDMI port should work, correct?
    Last edited by sdsumike619; 11th Oct 2021 at 14:41.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Not so sure that any video card would work.

You might get away with the XP graphics driver but I would have thought that more recent cards would not have bespoke XP drivers.

Now that mb looks rather similar to mine which also dual boots to XP. The card I acquired in 2008/09 was an ati HD 4600
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by sdsumike619 View Post
    I have a Windows XP machine with this board:

https://download1.gigabyte.com/Files/Manual/motherboard_manual_ga-ep45-ud3(r)_e.pdf

I want to upgrade the video card (no gaming, no video encoding) so that I can use an HDTV as a monitor. What video card do you recommend I get?

Thank you!

EDIT: The board has "1 x PCI Express x16 slot, running at x16 (The PCI Express x16 slot conforms to PCI Express 2.0 standard)"

So I guess any video card with that, and an HDMI port should work, correct?
    I can't remember what to look for beyond drivers for XP. pcpartpicker.com told me that the following video card would work:
    https://www.newegg.com/evga-geforce-8400-gs-512-p3-1300-kr/p/1FT-001K-002H6
    Ignore list: hello_hello, tried, TechLord, Snoopy329
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Sorry didn't mean to imply I was looking for the latest and greatest; there's plenty or "old new stock" out there, or used might even work fine. Just looking to find something compatible with the board, windows xp, and ability to plug in an HDTV (via HDMI)
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I have an XP machine using a GA-970A-D3 and a AMD HD-6570 with Catalyst version 14.4.

I believe you are correct in that any PCI Express video card with HDMI out would work, just make sure it will also pass audio or you will need a way to connect the PC sound to your TV.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    admin can delete this post; they decided to go with a computer monitor instead of a TV!
    Quote Quote  
  7. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    No need to delete,other people might find some of the info in here handy.
    I think,therefore i am a hamster.
    Quote Quote