VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I want to connect an audio source to the input of the sound card, and be able to hear that audio on the speakers connected to the output of the same sound card. How can I achieve that routing of sound in Windows XP? Thanks!
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Virtual cable routing, using something like voicemeter or its family of products.

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks, would you be referring to this program? https://vb-audio.com/Cable/index.htm
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Yes, there are a variety with progressive capability/complexity, some freeware, some donation ware, some payware. Read up & pick the one(s) that suit your needs.
    My quick guess is you may just need the free cable pair, but the expanded capabilities of the virtual mixers are very attractive.

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  5. Windows' built in mixer lets you do that.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Only with certain kinds of inputs and outputs. And it isn't nearly as flexible.

Example: I have a voicemeeter config where I have
    1. Mic input, with EQ
    2. 2nd mic input from wireless mic, w noise gate
    3. Line input from guitar A/D box
    4. Output from spotify/wmp, etc rerouted to 2nd line input (as bkgd music)
    5. Output 1 is mix of 1,3,4 and goes to headphones, with optional mix-minus
    6. Output 2 is mix of 2,3,4 and goes to speakers
    7. Output 3 is a different submix with diff levels that goes specifically to Zoom
    8. There is a separate recorder than can record any of those outputs (to file), or a different set, using whatever params I set including 5.1 LPCM (though I haven't tried that yet). And it can be played back as another input if necessary.
    9. Certain mute buttons are set to be remotely triggered by a phone app so I can do channel swapping, soloing, etc on the fly...while I am on for example a Zoom meeting.
    This all works without a hitch and with minimal latency.

Windows mixer can't do a fraction of that.

Scott
    Last edited by Cornucopia; 14th Sep 2021 at 00:22.
    Quote Quote  
  7. The OP didn't ask for all that. All he wants is to hear one audio input through his speakers.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    Windows' built in mixer lets you do that.
    Oh? Windows XP specifically? I'll have to look at the available settings and give it a try..
    Quote Quote  
  9. Originally Posted by sdsumike619 View Post
    Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    Windows' built in mixer lets you do that.
    Oh? Windows XP specifically? I'll have to look at the available settings and give it a try..
    I'm pretty sure the ability was in XP. It was certainly in Win7 and newer.

I don't have access to hardware running XP right now but on a virtual machine running XP there's a Mute button for each input in the mixer. Just un-tick that for your audio input -- I believe that will allow audio to go directly from the audio input to the speakers.
    Last edited by jagabo; 14th Sep 2021 at 13:45.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    It is definitely possible and works the way jagabo described. I used this checkbox all the time back in the day with my PCI capture card. The input to unmute is called "Line in" and you may have to add it to the mixer if it isn't there already (don't worry, it is quite simple).
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thank you for the instructions; I'll give it a try in the next day or so hopefully and let you know what happens
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    You're probably talking about the "Listen" function in the sound control panel.

https://winaero.com/listen-to-microphone-with-playback-device-in-windows-10/

Yes, it could be used for this scenario, but it's primary purpose is for testing. Mainly because there isn't a lot of control over it other than the basic gain, so there is the good possibility of runaway audio feedback if you aren't careful.

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  13. Here's the XP audio mixer from an old computer:

[Attachment 60739 - Click to enlarge]

The Rear Pink In (integrated Realtek audio device) was connected to an MP3 player's headphone output. The audio from the player was piped to the speakers. The Balance, Volume, and Mute controls worked as expected. Names may change depending on the audio device and Windows version. But the ability has been around for a very long time. I think even Win95 had it.
    Quote Quote  
  14. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Just hooked everything up and it worked perfectly; didn't have to adjust any settings. Just plugged into the audio in of the card, and that audio went out to the speakers; thanks!
    Quote Quote