VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I'm buying a new laptop. I will be doing dvd authoring and a fair bit of mp4 converting (xmediarecode and handbrake).
    I have a choice of either a Ryzen 3 4300U or an Intel i3 1005G1

On versus.com the Ryzen comes out as the faster processor

4.5x faster processor, the Ryzen is 4 x 2.7ghz, the i3 is 2 x 1.2ghz.

I thought it obvious to buy the laptop with the Ryzen, but a couple of my friends have told me intel processors are better at windows apps than amd processors (with amd being better at gaming) which is why i wanted your guys opinion on which processor will be faster at video encoding.

thanks
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    i3, supports UHD resolution plus a whole host of other benefits.

Buy as much processor as you can afford.
    It's not important the problem be solved, only that the blame for the mistake is assigned correctly
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    The i3 supports Intel Quick Sync Video decoding and encoding for MPEG-2, H.264, and H.265, which can speed up the encoding process if the software supports its use. I think that both Xmedia Recode and Handbrake allow the use of QSV. ...but if you want to encode using software then the Ryzen 3 CPU will be faster.
    Ignore list: hello_hello, tried, TechLord, Snoopy329
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    get the AMD if you wanna make your files as small as possible
    Quote Quote  
  5. I bought a 17" HP laptop with an i5-1035G1, 8gb ddr4-2400, 128gb NVMe and 1tb 5400 spinning rust.

Yanked the ram, NVMe and spinning rust and replaced with 16gb ddr4-2666, 1tb Inland NVMe and 1tb Inland SSD.

Total cost of laptop + upgrades - $850 + tax.

CPU is a 4C/4T Ice Lake with AVX-512 and I have used quick sync encode, decode and filters extensively.

As much as I like HP laptops, I would not buy this again, instead I would look at something like this:

https://www.staples.com/asus-vivobook-s15-s513ua-ds74-15-6-laptop-amd-ryzen-5-8gb-memo...0449?back=true

This thing has an 8C/16T Ryzen APU, I would upgrade the ram to at least 16gb, maybe 32gb, this already has a 1tb SSD so I would add at least a 1tb NVMe, but this time I would not buy Inland, I would buy Kingston, I have a 256gb NVMe in my desktop and that thing is crazy fast.

I don't know what the OP's budget is but I would definitely go AMD APU and definitely 8C/16T.
    Quote Quote