VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I`m fairly new to video, I`ve been a stills photographer for most of my adult life but having shot everything that moves or doesn`t move I wasn`t inspired anymore. a friend of mine go himself a gopro and a gimbal 3 and it has inspired him again.

so, I have an sj4000 and a gimbal 4. In general results have been great for what I want and at my age the gear is easy to carry around. I`ve made up special mounts for my car, van and I use a chest harness on my electric bike.
    I`ve been shooting everything in 1920x1080 @ 30fps but am thinking maybe I only need 1080x720 @ 30 or 60 fps advice needed from you people.

I use PS CC for editing as I know my way around PS and am getting to grips with it. I went up to the coast yesterday and had to do a lot of editing, fades and cuts and notice that panning seems a bit jurky at times, is that the amount of editing causing it or maybe I`m shooting at 1920 and don`t really need to or with the camera in the gimbal the right way up for holding the gimbal vertical I might be pushing my luck and lowering the camera a bit to low for the gimbal to function properly.

The next thing I`m thinking about is with the gimbal (and ext handle) rather than put the camera in the right way up is to put the camera in upside down and just rotate (there is a facility in my sj`s to rotate but not in all of them I gather) that way I can have the camera down at low level with the video shot the right way up which avoid the rotation in PS. I notice that in that configuration I can bring my arm up level and the panning still works fine. also with the sj fitted upside down I do get access to the side buttons to turn rotate on or off if i want to bring the camera up to face height etc. In that configuration I do have to remove the camera completely from the gimbal to get access to the card/usb connections to download but back at home that`s not a problem( at least I can change menu items and res out in the field so to speak.

So, lots of questions and hopefully there are gopro/sj4000 users here that can share the settings etc.

thanks in advance
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I`ve just discovered that the raw mov file plays fine in windows media player and quick time so I think the camera and gimbal are working OK but after editing seems to be where things are going wrong.( jerky panning)Editing is done in PS CC producing a mp4 file.

any suggestions?

I took the mp4 file into wondershare video converter and converted the mp4 file back to .mov and the jerkyness has gone, why is that I wonder?

anyone please
    Last edited by Old Timer; 28th Mar 2015 at 15:09.
    Quote Quote  
  3. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Have you tried play the mp4 with vlc media player? Maybe something wrong with wmp and mp4 files.
    What video export settings are you using? Like video codec, resolution frame rate, etc

And it's strange that the jerkyness is gone after you reconverted it again. It usually creates even more jerkyness...or maybe you converted it to a lower resolution that plays better.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    MediaInfo both the before/source and the after/target files so we can do an objective comparison.

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    As I said, I`m new to video.

The original file came from my sj4000 cam (.mov) 1920x1080 30fps.

worked on in PS CC, (cuts and fades only)It became a psd file then rendered from CC. ( 16Gb ram windows 7)

settings
    Adobe Media encoder
    H.264
    High quality
    1920x1080
    30 fps
    File order progressive

Which then made an mp4 file and was jerky, reconverted in wondershare video converter to .mov and it runs fine in w/media player.

I took the mp4 file to another pc and it ran just as bad as on the first pc.

Maybe I should have shot the original at a lower res like 1080x720?
    Quote Quote