VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I researched on the net what is the best 7" portable LCD TV and they say it's the Eviant T7 (7") model. But they don't seem to exist. Eviant the company has an impressive home page showing the model T7, and they have a phone number and answering machine, but nobody answers or calls back and nobody replied to my email.

Do they exist or is it just a ghost web site?

http://eviant.com/frontend1/index.aspx
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    All the shopping links for Eviant TVs that Google returned are for discontinued/sold out products released several years ago or used items. I think it is safe to say that Eviant is out of the TV business.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Makes me wonder why they still have a web page and a phone system that gives the illusion somebody is there. It seems odd somebody would be paying for those features on a company that no longer exists.

too bad
    Quote Quote  
  4. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Alizard View Post
    Makes me wonder why they still have a web page and a phone system that gives the illusion somebody is there. It seems odd somebody would be paying for those features on a company that no longer exists.
    Not as weird as you might think when I explain some things to you.

They paid for domain registration through Feb. 2019 with Go Daddy. You can look this up if you consult the WhoIs database for eviant.com as the registration is a public record. Domain registrars give you a discount the longer the term of registration. So if they started several years ago, maybe they paid for 7 years or longer of registration as they were probably full of optimism with a new company and new product and figured "How can it miss?". The website was also likely paid for in advance on a multi-year contract.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    One would think that if someone else sells portable televisions they could pay the site owner to redirect the business their way. I guess it's also possible they don't generate enough traffic to justify doing that. This thread probably increased their visits to unprecedented heights. I admit to taking a look myself.

I'm in the market for a small 7" to 10" backup/emergency/camping/travel ATSC TV with av-in but unlike these the battery would have to last longer than 2 - 2 1/2 hours and be easily replaceable with off the shelf general use type cells.
    There's not much to do but then I can't do much anyway.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by jman98 View Post
    Originally Posted by Alizard View Post
    Not as weird as you might think when I explain some things to you.

They paid for domain registration through Feb. 2019 with Go Daddy. You can look this up if you consult the WhoIs database for eviant.com as the registration is a public record. Domain registrars give you a discount the longer the term of registration. So if they started several years ago, maybe they paid for 7 years or longer of registration as they were probably full of optimism with a new company and new product and figured "How can it miss?". The website was also likely paid for in advance on a multi-year contract.
    Good point, still wonder why their phones act as if it's a working company?
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by gll99 View Post
    One would think that if someone else sells portable televisions they could pay the site owner to redirect the business their way. I guess it's also possible they don't generate enough traffic to justify doing that. This thread probably increased their visits to unprecedented heights. I admit to taking a look myself.

I'm in the market for a small 7" to 10" backup/emergency/camping/travel ATSC TV with av-in but unlike these the battery would have to last longer than 2 - 2 1/2 hours and be easily replaceable with off the shelf general use type cells.
    Turns out portable TVs appear to be an endangered species, their oxygen supply being strangled off by TV content which will be streaming to cel phones which everybody already carry.

RCA makes one, but the reviews are crappy. The Eviant was the exception in that it had good reception which is the problem with all portable TV's.... unless you are standing in the shadow of the tower, reception is iffy.

Too bad they died but none of the local electronics around here (Fry's or Good Guys or the rest) carry portable TVs at all. radio Shack sells the crappy RCA model at a jacked up price.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    A while back I bought a Kworld ATSC usb tuner (KW-UB445-U) to view and capture OTA ATSC signals. No separate power is needed it draws from the usb but you need a computer. I hooked it to a laptop to test. It works well and would do in a pinch but if I found a combo am-fm-marine-emerg. band radio/TV for the right price I'd probably buy that too as a more straightforward compact option just for viewing.
    There's not much to do but then I can't do much anyway.
    Quote Quote  
  9. I bought this 10 inch Haier some years ago for $40 new. Picks up new on -air digital signals, old frequencies and connects to DVD player.
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/Haier-HLT10-10-480p-EDTV-LCD-Television-/271528535018?pt=Telev...item3f385ca3ea

Also here is link to new Eviant 7 inch TV.
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/Eviant-T7-7-Digital-DTV-LCD-ATSC-Television-new-in-box-NICE/18...28535018&rt=nc
    Last edited by jimdagys; 27th Jun 2014 at 01:43.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Yeah I have been watching ebay to get an Eviant T7. Couple of problems so far: I'm more interested in buying what they have been smoking when they bid. The last new one sold for about $135 plus shipping when the thing used to sell new for about $110 retail. But my main concern is a lot more than money: These things run on a built in Li-Ion battery that is non replaceable. If these are three year old "new" items sitting in the box then the internal battery has almost certainly depleted and damaged itself from over discharge which means run time will be very short and it may be pretty useless as a portable item.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    I have no idea why the phone number would still work, but since nobody answered, we don't really know who that number belongs to right now. Maybe the phone charge is so small that the owners just pay it because they have hope of reactivating the brand in the future.

Yeah. I've seen a lot of stupid buyers on Ebay. People make stupid tech purchases all the time there. Once something becomes scarce for whatever reason, sanity goes away and panic buying sets in. Just yesterday I tested live TV streaming to my phone. I'm sure the Eviant would have better video quality, but what I got was acceptable and I didn't have to buy another device. I also think that's why the device died - being able to stream to phones killed it.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by gll99 View Post
    A while back I bought a Kworld ATSC usb tuner (KW-UB445-U) to view and capture OTA ATSC signals. No separate power is needed it draws from the usb but you need a computer. I hooked it to a laptop to test. It works well and would do in a pinch but if I found a combo am-fm-marine-emerg. band radio/TV for the right price I'd probably buy that too as a more straightforward compact option just for viewing.
    As I recall most current USB tuners are ATSC only, and don't provide the ability to tune FM radio. If you ever decide to replace the KWorld tuner, The Diamond TV Wonder 750 USB has an ATSC/NTSC tuner and according to reviewers, can receive FM radio too (assuming the antenna has no FM trap). However, you would indeed need that multi-band radio/TV to receive the other radio frequency bands plus TV.
    Quote Quote  
Visit our sponsor! Try DVDFab and backup Blu-rays!