VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hi

Sometimes I do voiceovers for my videos and the usual setup is as follows:
    Behringer C1 microphone > XLR to XLR cable > Behringer UB802 mixer > 2 RCA from "tape out" to 3.5 stereo plug > Line In input in standard PC soundcard (Realtek built into motherboard) > Audacity for recording & editing
    The sound quality is perfectly adequate for my needs (a bit of hi freq hiss from the mic/mixer but nothing I canīt fix in audio post)
    My question is the following, would a XLR to USB interface like this:
    http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/598902-REG/Alesis_LINELINK_LineLink_Dual_1_4.html
    help in any way in my audio capture chain rather than using the soundcardīs line in input?
    USB interfaces are popular but can I expect a "cleaner" signal or any other improvement?
    I know there are far better or more complete interfaces (with built in phantom power and level controls wich would even substitute my current mixer), but they are also more expensive and Iīd like to keep the whole thing within the low budget realm and also use as much of what I already have as possible.
    Last edited by julitomg; 10th Dec 2012 at 12:35. Reason: wrong link
    Quote Quote  
  2. Multimedia storyteller bigass's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    There are a few things to consider.... a few elements in any signal chain that would get a microphone into your computer:

- The microphone
    - The preamp, which applies gain to raise the signal level from the microphone to a line level
    - The interface, which converts the analog signal into a digital stream for recording on the computer

If you have a mixer with XLR (balanced) inputs and good, clean preamps, and your PC's line-in jack leads to a good ADC, great. Do that. You have more flexibility. That's *good* flexibility, as long as the components are good. I have a Behringer mixer, too, and I don't use it any more. It had too much noise for my liking.

Some of the USB interfaces you linked to look good. You only need phantom power if you're using a condenser mic -- if you don't have such a mic yet, you will eventually if you keep going.

My recommendation, if you're serious about getting good sound and expanding in the future: Get a Firewire or USB interface with good preamps and at least a 24-bit converter in it. They don't have to be expensive. I'm not going to recommend specific makes or models, because I haven't been shopping for a while. But, you're probably looking at something like this to start: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/822508-REG/Focusrite_SCARLETT_2I2_USB_Scarlett_2..._Portable.html

(Disclosure: I use a Focusrite Saffire LE, now discontinued. Of all the PC/audio interfaces I've used since the late 1980s, it's been my favourite, by far.)
    Quote Quote  
  3. Thanks bigass, I think Iīll wait for a good, bigger interface with phantom power also. Right now Iīm happy with the Behringer mixer but I realize I could have a more "direct" connection without it using the right gear.
    Quote Quote