VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi,
    I'm working on correction of many videos natively interlaced, but converted in progressive without deinterlacing. I think these videos was interlaced PAL format 720x576, then resized to 720x540. The results is inhevitable.
    I'm trying to remove the artifacts of interlacing with VirtualDub. In the next reply, I'll attach an image of what I'm doing. If you have any suggestions, you are welcome!
    Quote Quote  
  2. Originally Posted by klode View Post
    Hi,
    I'm trying to remove the artifacts of interlacing with VirtualDub. In the next reply, I'll attach an image of what I'm doing. If you have any suggestions, you are welcome!
    Better would be to include a short video sample from the source. However, if they've already been resized while interlaced, it's pretty much a lost cause. You can try resizing down and back, effectively blurring the damage, but it can't be undone.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Originally Posted by manono View Post
    ... However, if they've already been resized while interlaced, it's pretty much a lost cause. You can try resizing down and back, effectively blurring the damage, but it can't be undone.
    Yes, resizing interlaced video without first deinterlacing is about the worst thing that can be done to a video.

A few of us did try to "un-do" the artifacts in a video that was damaged this way by using some AVISynth scripts we developed in this thread:

repair bad deinterlacing

This was a particularly bad re-size, although the artifacts are quite typical of what happens, where you end up with something that looks a little like the interlacing "teeth" which show up when interlaced video is played on a progressive display, but the "teeth" you get when video is borked this way are many "scan lines" (rows of pixels) high, rather than just one line/row, as would be the case with normal interlaced video.

The result of our efforts looked massively better than what the OP started with, but having said that, it would never, ever be mistaken for pristine footage.
    Quote Quote