VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I recently (yesterday) had a weird problem with my laptop show up. I have 2 SSD hard drives installed and 2 usb external drives connected. Well, at random times all drives (except the system drive) would disappear. I open the case and reseated the drive. I then looked at the bios and saw that one of the ssds was not present. It's still not present in bios but it shows up in windows. I already moved all the data from the drive just to be safe. It's a Samsung EVO 840.

Today all drives are present in windows (even after repeated reboots), but the Samsung drive is still not present in bios.

I have no idea where to even start. Before I contact Samsung I thought I'd try here for any suggestions. The drive is still under warranty.

Brainiac
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I think I do not have to tell you that the scenario you describe can not happen. Windows reads the bios for the disk info. Well I always thought it did.

My guess is that you have a faulty cmos.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I thought that as well. Guess I will have to contact the manufacturer for an update.

Brainiac
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Update
    I called the manufacturer of my laptop and the tech and I went through several diagnostic steps and the drive still was not recognized by the bios. Windows no longer recognized the drive either. Same scenario after numerous reboots.

Called Samsung and got an RMA (thank God drive was still under warranty.) They could not repair the drive so they replaced it. It's scheduled to arrive today.

Brainiac
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    did you try removing the battery on the motherboard or selecting restore default settings ??
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by october262 View Post
    did you try removing the battery on the motherboard or selecting restore default settings ??
    No. Drive was faulty as determined by Samsung.

Brainiac
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I just completed installation of the drive. Bios and Windows see the drive.

Brainiac
    Quote Quote