VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Me Again (LOL)

Thanks to everyone who took the time to give me advice on picking out a BD Burner. I really appreciate it!

I am now in another quandary...so it goes. Anyway I installed the BD-Drive yesterday but don't know how to rip(Backup) any movies. I mean, I know what software it says to use around the web like Vidcoder and DVD-fab but I am lost as far as what to do exactly. It is allot to ask, I realize, but if you guys could help me out that would help allot. I dunno where to begin, and don't have much money to spend.

I know this site (VideoHelp.com) has an awesome software section and when I was backing up my DVD's into video files (mostly .MKV at the end using handbrake) I was reliant upon the software in that section; BUT JUST AS MUCH, I relied on everyone here on the forum and received GREAT HELP.

So, bottom line, I want to be able to backup my BR collection in the cheapest and easiest way, ripping them into MKV's, AVI's, or the like. At this point, however, I can honestly say that I don't even know how to decrypt them with any success.

Like always, I am VERY THANKFUL for ANY HELP that ANYONE CAN OFFER!

-J
    Quote Quote  
  2. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    You can still use dvdfab to rip the blu-ray and shrink to mkv with handbrake.

You could also just use MakeMKV if you don't want to shrink. Makemkv rips and just muxes(no video reconversion) the main movie to a single mkv(20-40GB).
    Quote Quote  
  3. Pretty much what baldrick said. Rip them using dvdfab, then convert them to mkv/mp4 using handbrake. mkv is a good container format, but mp4 plays better on most software players, so you may want to see about converting your movies to mp4.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Thanks Guys.here's the problem(s) I've encountered:

1) I D/L the newest DVDFab From the tools/software section. But it isn't free to use the BR ripper feature on DVDfab after the trial, is it?

2) Anyway, When I did try to do a BR rip w, Fab, it got to 99% then failed. In all fairness, however, I only tried one movie.

3) What about Decryption? There are security blocks on BR's. Will Fab's BR Ripper make a Video_TS file including the decryption

4) When I tried to use MakeMKV, It made a ton of folders in the output directory, but I coldnt find a vid file anywhere.

Can someone walk me through this because it seems far tougher then it should be. I sincerely appreciate the help.

Really, I just want a Video_TS file and then turn it in to a high quality vid file (Like MKV) with Handbrake. I don't want to have to pay for DVDFabI a, really new to this so please have patience w. me
    Thanks Guys
    -J
    Last edited by noobish; 12th Oct 2013 at 19:50.
    Quote Quote  
  5. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    4). I haven't had any problems with makemkv. It always make a single mkv.

But you could also try anydvdhd. Test the trial at least. Insert the movie, right click on the anydvdhd tray icon and choose copy/rip to your hdd.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    I'm not sure you have the right version of DVDFab HD Decrypter. It is freeware for the basic version. It does lag a fair bit behind on decryption on newer Blu-rays, so try it on one that's been out for six months or more. You will rip the entire BD to one of your hard drives.

You won't find a VIDEO_TS file anywhere. That's a DVD format. Look to the upper left on this page for 'WHAT IS' Blu-ray. Very different structure. The video/audio is contained in the 'STREAM' folder. It's already similar to a MKV. I just re-encode the video to a more compact form and also the audio to AC3. I do use RipBot for that instead of VidCoder/Handbrake. I use Vidcoder/Handbrake for DVD conversions.

Depending on what output format you want and what size files you want, it can take a fair amount of time for conversions. My setup, about 3 - 4 hours. I run them overnight most times. Quality is still very good.
    Quote Quote