VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I have two questions. First a question regarding losslessnes of MPG files when compared to actual DVD quality movies (also using VOB2MPG vs AVS Video Converter) and secondly a question about VOB comparable formats.

I have been using MPG files because they are a single large file so I am able to use them in a play list format. I also thought they looked decent and not very lossy when compared to a DVD played in WMP. I have been backing up DVD movies using the method of DVD FAB (in DVD FAB I use the "Full Movie" option) for decrypting and ripping the Audio_TS and Video_TS folders. Then I convert the files with VOB2MPG. However, I decided to give AVS Video Converter a try because of all its different file type options.

For my second question I would like to know if there are file formats that are like VOB files in the respects of having subtitle option type objects in the file but are of a single file type like that of MPG (This goes back to being able to play full videos in a playlist format).

Any input on this matter would be great!
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    VOB files are MPEG2.....so the output from VOB2MPEG is identical to what DVDFab gave you as an output. AVS is a "converter" and it's "file options" could possibly be far inferior to the MPEG2 file from VOB2MPEG depending on which "file option" you chose.
    Quote Quote  
    drifting, somewhere on the Sea of Cynicism
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Marian123 View Post
    For my second question I would like to know if there are file formats that are like VOB files in the respects of having subtitle option type objects in the file but are of a single file type like that of MPG (This goes back to being able to play full videos in a playlist format).

Any input on this matter would be great!
    This may or may not be a useful, relevant answer to your question, but in terms of what I have observed, the .MKV format -- where it has been done well -- while certainly not lossless comes closest in quality to what I see in DVD VOB files. It is a single file (or container), subs seem to be an option for it, and I believe subtitle tools exist for it. How easy the .MKVs are to make, I have no idea. Maybe not that easy.
    When in Las Vegas, don't miss the Pinball Hall of Fame Museum http://www.pinballmuseum.org/ -- with over 150 tables from 6+ decades of this quintessentially American art form.
    Quote Quote