VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. For some reason, I have a Digital8 camcorder that just zooms in for no reason at all. Even the zoom meter on the camera's LCD shows that it's zooming in. Nothing I do seems to get it to zoom out. The zoom control isn't stuck, I can move it just fine. I hope this can be fixed easily and it's not a problem with the actual camera lens.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I had a a Canon Hi8 camera that did that. In my case it was due to wear in the zoom control switch
    Quote Quote  
  3. Originally Posted by davexnet View Post
    I had a a Canon Hi8 camera that did that. In my case it was due to wear in the zoom control switch
    It doesn't matter where I have the zoom control switch pointed at, it just zooms in. I can't even get it to zoom back out, the camera is basically unuseable. It's also doing the zooming very slowly, if that helps.

Any way to tear this thing down? I have a different TRV520 that has a broken Firewire port. I wonder if I transplant parts out of it.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    It could be a different mechanism. Mine was a small rocker type switch up near the eye piece. You push it one way with your thumb
    and it zoomed in, other way zoomed out. It was also pressure sensitive - a light touch and it zoomed slower, etc.
    It "rested" in the middle where the zoom was maintained whereever it was.
    After a while it started to zoom by itself. Here's a discussion where some users are discussing the problem:
    https://community.usa.canon.com/t5/Camcorder-Discussion/Canon-Vixia-Zoom-out-problem-p...lp/td-p/219895

Maybe you can research further using the camera model, etc,etc.. The way you described it above sounds different. Is it trying to autofocus?
    Quote Quote  
  5. Originally Posted by davexnet View Post
    It could be a different mechanism. Mine was a small rocker type switch up near the eye piece. You push it one way with your thumb
    and it zoomed in, other way zoomed out. It was also pressure sensitive - a light touch and it zoomed slower, etc.
    It "rested" in the middle where the zoom was maintained whereever it was.
    After a while it started to zoom by itself. Here's a discussion where some users are discussing the problem:
    https://community.usa.canon.com/t5/Camcorder-Discussion/Canon-Vixia-Zoom-out-problem-p...lp/td-p/219895

Maybe you can research further using the camera model, etc,etc.. The way you described it above sounds different. Is it trying to autofocus?

I think I found the problem. If I sort of open the camcorder up (you need to do this to press the eject button, and the zoom control is attached to this piece, it's a weird thing on Sony camcorders) and then touch the zoom control, it lets me control it like normal. Bad ribbon cable maybe?
    Quote Quote