VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi there.

I'm " visited " many times by undesirable sites. How can I block these sites?
    I have Windows XP SP2 and Avast Free installed. Can I use this to do that? How?

Thanks.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    What do you mean, you are "visited" by undesirable sites? Do you mean that your browser is being hijacked and takes you to sites you did not specify? We need more details.
    Quote Quote  
  3. If you want to keep your browser from accessing certain sites, start by using your hosts file:
    http://winhelp2002.mvps.org/hosts.htm

If you mean you need to stop outside connections to your computer you need a firewall. If you mean you need to block wireless connections to your computer you need to set your wireless router to use encryption.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Damn, Jomapil seems hell bent on replacing jimdagys around here with an endless serious of postings detailing one numbskull action after another that he needs help with.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by jman98 View Post
    Damn, Jomapil seems hell bent on replacing jimdagys around here with an endless serious of postings detailing one numbskull action after another that he needs help with.
    Probably linkspamming for the site in his sig.

Just posts any dumb question that comes to mind.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I'm going to example waht is my problem:

When I enter the net It always appears a site to play poker! I am not interested but each time I begin it appears! Can I block, annul, cancel, prevent this site don't appear any more in my computer?

Excuse me everybody if I don't use the correct words.

Yes, Ranchhand, you understood my problem. It's that.
    Quote Quote  
  7. You most likely have a malware infection. Simply blocking the site isn't the right fix. You need to remove the malware. But if you just want to block a particular site use your hosts file:

http://helpdeskgeek.com/how-to/block-websites-using-hosts-file/

If you use the hosts file from the link I gave earlier you will also block many sources of ads on web pages and a lot of the sources of malware.
    Last edited by jagabo; 24th Apr 2012 at 16:46.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Originally Posted by Jomapil View Post
    When I enter the net It always appears a site to play poker! I am not interested but each time I begin it appears! Can I block, annul, cancel, prevent this site don't appear any more in my computer?

I would start here...

Originally Posted by Jomapil View Post
    ...XP SP2...
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Jomapil View Post
    I'm going to example waht is my problem:

Excuse me everybody if I don't use the correct words.

Yes, Ranchhand, you understood my problem. It's that.
    Your computer is infected.

Solution: Save data, format, re-install Windows.
    Recommends: Kiva.org - Loans that change lives.
    http://www.kiva.org/about
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Are you sure the site hasn't simply set itself as your homepage?

Which browser are you using? Internet Explorer? Firefox? (etc.)
    If cameras add ten pounds, why would people want to eat them?
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Ai Haibara : My homepage is Google. Actually I use Firefox.

EdDV : The last month I formatted The disk and re-installed Windows two times but that site of Poker continues to show.

Clockwork : What do you mean with XP SP3 ( and not SP2, my mistake )? Can I add that site to the firewall of Windows?

Jagabo : I'm going to use your link to see if I solve my problem.

Thank you very much for your kindness to help this quasi-beginner of 70 years old.

Till the next.

P.S. - All the others who don't want or don't understand my questions I thank don't answer negatively.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Jomapil, you have a virus which is called a "browser hijacker"; it makes you go to a site that you do not want to, hoping that you will get interested and gamble all your money to make them rich and you poor! If you can get someone local to help you that would be the best, removing a virus from your computer can be complicated.
    For something to try, download Malwarebytes (free) install and run it on your computer. Let it remove anything that it finds.
    Link: http://www.filehippo.com/download_malwarebytes_anti_malware/
    After you install, it will ask to update the indexes, so let it do so. That is very important. Then let it run the long scan on your computer-it will take at least 30 minutes- and allow it to remove anything that it finds.
    Hopefully that will fix your problem, but no guarantee.
    If that does not help, we can refer you to web sites that will help you get rid of the virus for free.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Originally Posted by Jomapil View Post
    Jagabo : I'm going to use your link to see if I solve my problem.
    Unfortunately, it isn't likely to work. As has been pointed out several times now, you probably have a malware infection. Any decent malware will check you hosts file and remove their site from the list. You need to remove the malware to get a permanent fix.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    it could be the malware is in the mbr. if so a "quick" format and re-install of windows on the drive will allow the malware to re-install. use a special mbr infection checker or get the software from the drive manufacturer's website to do a complete low-level format or write zeros to the whole drive.
    --
    "a lot of people are better dead" - prisoner KSC2-303
    Quote Quote