VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Honestly I am an idiot and feel horrible - I pray someone can help. I downloaded my teenage's sons GoPro Hero 3 video -from mini SD card reader on my mac book - not in Final Cut ---like I normally do...but for the 1st time used GoPro Studio - thinking I was closing the Studio program....I hit Delete!!!!! And POOF...there went his files. I hit cancel quickly but the MP4 files are gone, but I think the IRV files are there.. I have searched the web and found all kinds of recovery programs...including one saying it is only for GoPro. -....(makes me think Gopro Studio has others doing what I did with some regularity)... I also read that once I try and recover these files....if it doesn't work...I am outta luck to try another file recovery system. I isolated the SD mini disk...so nothing has overwritten it..but now I am afraid to try anything not knowing what would be best. Some of the posts here about the recovery of these files are old...so not sure what current thoughts or suggestions are . I would love ya forever if someone can lend me some advice. My poor son is so upset and it was my fault.. I'd even send it out to be done professionally... this video is very important to my son. Thank you in advance.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    http://www.cgsecurity.org/wiki/PhotoRec

Best program I've ever come across, it's free and seems to work on Macs too. This program runs using a command line instead of a GUI, so you can follow the step by step. http://www.cgsecurity.org/wiki/PhotoRec_Step_By_Step

Be sure not to write anything new to the media holding the data you wish to recover, until after it has been recovered to a separate drive..
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    KarMA thanks for the suggestion, I am almost at a freezing point now....I have read all about these programs and they are either free or under $20.... so I just now need to pick one..and stop being afraid that whatever recovery program I choose, won't further destroy that else files. I swear my son is so upset. He's a teenager and while boating we had a close encounter with a very playful whale. Yes I said a whale....if the camera was on and working, the video should be amazing. ...ugh I hope this works. .GoPro even got back to me and said they would walk me through their recovery steps...thanks for advice and help.
    Quote Quote