VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Do I need MS SQL on my Win 7 64 editing system? For that matter did I need to load Media Manager from Vegas Pro?
    Depends what the definition of the word inhale is.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Yes
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    I'll give a somewhat longer answer.

Yes, Sony Vegas keeps track of all the files & clips involved in its various edit projects by saving their locations and properties to an SQL database. Without the Media Manager, Vegas is not able to keep track. Since it's a SQL database, Vegas comes installed with a copy of MS SQL Express (IIRC), so no need to buy anything.

BTW, this is not unusual - ALL major/pro NLEs and DAWs have similar media database needs.

Scott
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Media Manager is a separate application that runs as a plugin, and is optional. Whether you install it or not, SQL Server is still required.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Unless you work with really small/short projects, it's well nigh impossible to get by without MediaManager, so functionally, it's like it's required. And it's not like it's a resource hog or anything, it plays well with others. So no point in NOT installing.

And since the question mainly dealt with the SQL database - which you agree is required - my answer still stands...

Scott
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Yes, but the Media Manager database is separate and different from the database Vegas uses to track the project media.

The Media Manager is a decent tool considering there's nothing else on the market. But some media is multi-genre, and difficult to tag adequately, especially music loops, and it's a lot of work to keep it current. Simple folders are much easier.

I suspect you're using it as a global master media index and using the project names as tags, which would be fairly straightforward.

But I think what SCS had in mind was to use it to "suggest" stock footage and audio to editors that have lots of canned stuff. Example, "island" tag might pull up steel drums, beach scenes, bikinis, etc.

But the OP did not ask for an opinion. So I'm OT
    Last edited by budwzr; 11th Dec 2011 at 22:18.
    Quote Quote