VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi all folks

I have video taken in about 1990 and recorded on VHS tape. Recently I sent the tape to a professional shop ripping it on DVD. I have the DVD saved on computer as .VOB file. However I found certain sections of the video not clear while playing the .VOB file. (pls refer to attached screenshot)

I have tried to fix the un-sharp portions on AVS Video Editor, following below article:

How to restore blurred video using AVS Video Editor?
    https://www.avs4you.com/guides/how-to-restore-blurred-video-using-avs-video-editor.aspx#id2

running AVS Video Editor on Linux as well as on Win10. But there was no improvement.

The video was without problem while playing on CRT monitor previously.

Kindly advise is there any solution on Linux to fix the problem?

Best Regards
    Image Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	screenshot_not_sharp_video.png
Views:	52
Size:	1.07 MB
ID:	62455  

Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Build a time machine, go back in time, focus the camera correctly.
    Quote Quote  
  3. It's not only camera defocus I think. It's about missing details of VHS which may have been dubbed and converted to digital and possibly upscaled 'somehow'. The missing details are gone, just sharpening may look ugly. One can always try with avisynth filters for example. But don't expect to convert lead into gold.
    The screenshot of the interlaced video (with the combs) gives a poor impression about the quality and sharpness. A video snippet of a few seconds would be more informative.
    If I remember correctly it has been discussed in the OP's earlier threads, including scripts proposals, also why it looks better on an old CRT TV.
    Last edited by Sharc; 20th Dec 2021 at 04:04.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    ^^ Yes. jagabo offered a script plus a video of another clip which had similar issues.

In fact ALL the OP's indoor shooting has these issues.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Originally Posted by DB83 View Post
    Ah, maybe the indoor scenes were very noisy and the shop applied an aggressive denoiser, hence introducing more blurring and loss of details.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by DB83 View Post
    ^^ Yes. jagabo offered a script plus a video of another clip which had similar issues.
    Hi DB83,

I remember my previous posting. Also I found following YouTube video;

How to use VirtualDub AviSynth AvsP and WinFF to restore video tapes and VHS
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WXhLmH_ul94

It needs 6 filters to do the job.

I encountered difficulty to install VirtualDub on Win10 therefore I'm looking for a Linux solution.

It amazes me, not the complete video in such poor condition. The video was captured in auto-focusing.

Regards
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Sharc View Post
    Ah, maybe the indoor scenes were very noisy and the shop applied an aggressive denoiser, hence introducing more blurring and loss of details.
    Hi,

I think that maybe the only solution for me is to rip the original V8 tape direct to computer myself. But I need an old V8 video camera, PAL system, to do it. I'm still looking for a reliable old device. If no solution found this will be my last attempt to try.

Previously I have sent a V8 tape to a profession shop, ripping the video on DVD. The shop damaged and broke the tape, accusing that it was a defective tape and charging me an inspection fees.

I have checked all my old V8 tapes and they look in good condition to me. The tapes are not broken.

Regards
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Sorry if I repeat myself.

You biggest obstacle is Linux. Even if you found a camcorder you would still have issues finding capture software.

I have no experience with VM's (I believe you are attempting to use Win10 in one). Some programs may work but others not. If you were using Win10 as a stand-alone, not within Linux, there should be less issues even with Win10 getting less capture-friendly and vdub should also install with little problems.

These topics just go around in circles.

And do not rely on any youtube video. What might work for the person who created that (and many who do have little actual knowledge) but your issue will probably not be solved by that.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    You biggest obstacle is Linux. Even if you found a camcorder you would still have issues finding capture software.
    Also I'm running Win10 here. I prefer running Linux because it takes long time for me to update Win10 as well as both on staring and power off it. I'm running AMD 8-core PC with 32G RAM. The OS is running on NVMe PCIe 3.0 x 4 SSD. The PC is connected to 1G FTTH network.

I don't think having problem to connect and to run the analogue to digital converter to a Linux computer. There are solution available on Open Source.

I have no experience with VM's (I believe you are attempting to use Win10 in one). Some programs may work but others not. If you were using Win10 as a stand-alone, not within Linux, there should be less issues even with Win10 getting less capture-friendly and vdub should also install with little problems.
    I have tested it on bare-metal Win10 as well, not on VM

Other advice noted. Thanks
    Last edited by satimis; 20th Dec 2021 at 09:15.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Originally Posted by satimis View Post
    I encountered difficulty to install VirtualDub on Win10
    You don't "install" VirtualDub. Just unpack the archive to a folder, navigate to the folder and run the exe. It runs fin on Win10. But I recommend you use VirtualDub2, not the original VirtualDub.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    Originally Posted by satimis View Post
    I encountered difficulty to install VirtualDub on Win10
    You don't "install" VirtualDub. Just unpack the archive to a folder, navigate to the folder and run the exe. It runs fin on Win10. But I recommend you use VirtualDub2, not the original VirtualDub.
    Hi,

Whether you suggest:
    VirtualDub2
    https://www.softpedia.com/get/Multimedia/Video/Video-Editors/VirtualDub-FilterMod.shtml

I have "Tagging for Windows Setup 3.0.38.0.exe" download.

To test your version/suggestion to reduce noise on video, apart from installing AviSynth on Win10 and run VirtualDub2 in combination. Please advise what other software I need to install? Thanks.

I'll test your suggestion on Win10 VM of Oracle VirtualBox first. If not working I'll test it on bare-metal Win10.

I prefer performing tests on Win10 VM/other OS VMs. Should there be any mistake/problem encountered I just delete Win10 VM/other OS VM and re-clone another new Win10 VM/new OS VM. It is very convenient. For bare-metal Win10 I need to re-install Win10 OS/other OS plus other additional software as well.

Regards
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Don't 'install' from that link. Use the version on the download page in this site. This will be the latest version.
    Quote Quote  
  13. The sample image you posted was incorrectly resized. If that's indicative of your source there's no point in working with it, you need to recapture. Otherwise upload a short sample of your source. Don't reencode it.
    Quote Quote  
  14. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    The sample image you posted was incorrectly resized. If that's indicative of your source there's no point in working with it, you need to recapture. Otherwise upload a short sample of your source. Don't reencode it.
    The sample image was taken by screenshot, not the source. I ran VLC media player to play the .VOB file which is 733.2MB in size. How can I cut a section of the .VOB file to upload it here? Run ffmpeg to do the job?

Or
    run AVS Video Editor on Win10 VM

Or
    run VapourSynth on MX-21 KDE VM (I have VapourSynth and Flatpak installed on a MX-21 KDE VM, but haven't testing them)

Or other solution?

Please advise

Not the complete video is so bad, only certain section. The rest is quite sharp and clear without blur.

Regards
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    No need for another sample although you were advised, and did provide one in this topic.

https://forum.videohelp.com/threads/403469-What-device-I-need-ripping-V8-tape-on-compu...e3#post2635547

In fact if I am not mistaken in the 'good' sample in post #63 one sees a part of this self same scene.

It really does not help to keep creating new topics for the same issues.
    Quote Quote  
  16. Member
    Search Comp PM
    As someone who's only used Linux for a few years, I must ask, if you couldn't find a Windows solution, why would you think there will be a Linux one?

The problem is obvious: garbage in, garbage out.
    Quote Quote