VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Would anyone know if UsEac3To converts Atmos too or does it not support Atmos conversion?
    I read that ffmpeg does not convert Atmos, so I'm assuming tools like Handbrake converting to EAC3 are ruled out?

Simply trying to convert TrueHD while retaining Atmos to the best-quality compressed format available.

(Bonus question: Off topic, but in theory, what's better; DTS 1536bitrate or E-AC-3 6144bitrate?)
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    I know of NO software tool currently available that can properly decode Atmos, other than something licensed from Dolby in a commercial app, such as PowerDVD. It may be possible to incorporate their DLL in a specialty tool, but if not, it would fall back to needing to output to an Amp and have speaker outputs sent BACK to be captured in order to "affix" the positioning data to the proper resulting channel-based format.

Scott
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by profzelonka View Post
    ...but in theory, what's better; DTS 1536bitrate or E-AC-3 6144bitrate?
    6144 (kbps you mean?) seems insanely high for EAC3. I wonder it would even be possible. Many lossless 7.1 DTS-HD Master Audio tracks run at significantly lower rates.

May I ask why you want to convert Atmos? What issues are you having with it?
    Quote Quote  
  4. Originally Posted by Ennio View Post
    ...but in theory, what's better; DTS 1536bitrate or E-AC-3 6144bitrate?
    6144 (kbps you mean?) seems insanely high for EAC3. I wonder it would even be possible. Many lossless 7.1 DTS-HD Master Audio tracks run at significantly lower rates.

May I ask why you want to convert Atmos? What issues are you having with it?
    My Vizio 5.1 soundbar only supports up to DTS/DD+, anything above becomes extremely stuttered. And you're right about 6144kbps being too high, it stutters the same way. I guess it's more of a bandwidth issue on the soundbar's side. The second reason is Dolby Vision content: My tv supports dolbyvision but any player I use won't direct stream lossless audio but rather convert it, therefor breaking the container and not showing dolbyvision. With direct streamed DTS/DD+, DolbyVision works perfectly.

It's easy to convert TrueHD to DTS/DD+ but Atmos, as far as I've gathered, is a metadata that doesn't get converted - or at least I haven't found 1 tool that documents that it does process Atmos. There's no way of telling via MediaInfo, no idea how I would be able to tell if Atmos got converted or not??

*edit
    Came across a sample video with DD+Atmos. I'm assuming it had to be compiled in a studio with Dolby tools of some sort.

Format : E-AC-3 JOC
    Format/Info : Enhanced AC-3 with Joint Object Coding
    Commercial name : Dolby Digital Plus with Dolby Atmos
    Codec ID : A_EAC3

Would be nice if we could get this result from a third party software.
    Last edited by profzelonka; 23rd Feb 2022 at 12:51.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    My Vizio 5.1 soundbar only supports up to DTS/DD+, anything above becomes extremely stuttered.
    So your Vizio wouldn't support Atmos. I don't know Vizio soundbars, but a quick check on the internet reveals several types like 5.1, 5.1.2, 5.1.4. The latter two supporting Atmos, like their names obviously suggest.

Should you have a "non-Atmos" Vizio, why bother about Atmos metadata and not drop it? Where I doubt if the bandwith would be a first problem. Soundbars can be connected in different ways. If it is connected via the TV's SPDIF output, indeed DD+ or DTS will be the max you will get. E-ARC HDMI port is capable of lossless audio transfer, but not all televisions prove to always do this. Which of course would be extra sad if a soundbar would support Atmos.

My tv supports dolbyvision but any player I use won't direct stream lossless audio but rather convert it, therefor breaking the container and not showing dolbyvision. With direct streamed DTS/DD+, DolbyVision works perfectly.
    I don't know what player you are using, but DV capable UHDBD and mediaplayers can output Dolby Vision with lossless audio perfectly. Containers are always "broken" in a player. First thing players do is demuxing the container into elementary audio, video, subtitle streams etc. They have to this before being able to (whatever) process them further. As for downconverting lossless audio, I do scratch my head as to why Dolby Vision output would suffer from it.

Like Scott says, converting Atmos or creating E-AC3 JOC would require Dolby licensed soft- or hardware. As a side note, there are structural differences between tracks that are delivered by streaming services and those authored for UHDBD.

Maybe it helps if you tell how your hookup chain is. Like, what is connected to what, and via which kind of ports. And what player it is that seems to drop DV output when it converts lossless audio.
    Quote Quote  
  6. That's exactly it, I pretty much have no true audio setup. For a setup to work with Dolby Vision AND lossless TrueHD Atmos, I would need an NVIDIA Shield connected to an AV connected to the TV with E-ARC. Currently I'm just using a soundbar that doesn't do lossless, connected to tv with E-ARC. Atmos has nothing to do with the incompatibility as Enhanced AC-3 with Joint Object Coding plays great. So to bypass my issue of spending 2k on a new sound system, I'm just trying to re-encode my TrueHD Atmos to E-AC3 JOC. The ability is not made readily possible by Dolby.

https://learning.dolby.com/hc/en-us/articles/4408217194772-Appendix-C-Dolby-Atmos-Delivery-Codecs-

They do provide more info on JOC tho, maybe one day a third party can figure out a straight conversion from TrueHD Atmos to E-AC3 JOC. Or, maybe AC4 will be utilized by then.. haha The consumer is always a step behind I guess.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Something is still not clear to me, sorry if I'm a bit confused.

...but any player I use won't direct stream lossless audio but rather convert it, therefor breaking the container and not showing dolbyvision.
    What player shows this behaviour?

Originally Posted by Ennio View Post
    Should you have a "non-Atmos" Vizio, why bother about Atmos metadata and not drop it?
    Other than letting the player convert TrueHD+Atmos, did you actually try to drop Atmos metadata yourself? It is possible to process only the "TrueHD flatbed part" and recode it.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Originally Posted by profzelonka View Post
    Would anyone know if UsEac3To converts Atmos too or does it not support Atmos conversion?
    I read that ffmpeg does not convert Atmos, so I'm assuming tools like Handbrake converting to EAC3 are ruled out?
    Simply trying to convert TrueHD while retaining Atmos to the best-quality compressed format available.
    (Bonus question: Off topic, but in theory, what's better; DTS 1536bitrate or E-AC-3 6144bitrate?)
    You can convert Atmos to ac3 5.1, eac3 5.1, DTS 5.1, trueHD 5.1, pcm 7.1, flac 7.1 with clever FFmpeg-GUI.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Not the object coding part of it you can't.

Scott
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    It's exactly what I meant with "dropping Atmos", but I can imagine OP didn't get this.
    Quote Quote