VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search PM
    Hi all,

Which is best YULS, FFV1, MSU, Lagarith or Huffyuv? Say you have something like an Intel Core i7-10700K which is best in terms of how well it compresses and future compatibility in 2050 for example? YULS is an obsolete format even though it has the best compression ratio. FFV1 is second best at compression “There are a few lossless codecs that can compress better than Lagarith, such as MSU and FFV1” source: https://lags.leetcode.net/codec.html and also has good compatibility. Source: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/FFV1#Applications_supporting_FFV1 Where does MSU fit in terms of it’s performance at compression? Is this a obsolete format also? Lagarith compresses at 30GB per hour, and Huffyuv at 100GB per hour. With a typical modern processor made in 2020, speed is not an issue anymore for any codec except maybe YULS. Is YULS built-in to Virtualdub2? Is FFV1 the best at compression and compatibility for 2050?
    Last edited by bigbadben; 13th Oct 2020 at 09:26.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Max compression ratio would be using temporal compression (long gop). x264 in lossless mode, or FFV1 using temporal mode would typically give highest compression ratio. Typically ~50-75% the size of intra (I frame) mode vs. something like lagarith or YULS (the latter two are I-frame only)

Negatives of temporal compression are slower to encode, slower seeking (during editing), so often unsuitable for capture purposes (it' s used more for archival, offline encoding)

Compatibility is lower for all lossless codecs in terms of hardware support, devices. But FFV1, x264 are open source, so you should not have problems with the codec becoming unavailable, and it will always work on linux if Windows or Mac change drastically

x264 lossless is supported by nvidia for HW decode. It's about the only lossless codec that is HW accelerated for decode. It's also supported in the Resolve Studio (the paid version) , Premiere Pro. Other lossless YUV codecs tend not to be lossless in NLE's because they are not treated as YUV (get converted to RGB) so there is some quality loss.

NVEnc also supports lossless AVC YUV encoding, but the compression ratio is not as good (although it's typically faster being a HW encode)
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by poisondeathray View Post
    Max compression ratio would be using temporal compression (long gop). x264 in lossless mode, or FFV1 using temporal mode would typically give highest compression ratio. Typically ~50-75% the size of intra (I frame) mode vs. something like lagarith or YULS (the latter two are I-frame only)

Negatives of temporal compression are slower to encode, slower seeking (during editing), so often unsuitable for capture purposes (it' s used more for archival, offline encoding)

Compatibility is lower for all lossless codecs in terms of hardware support, devices. But FFV1, x264 are open source, so you should not have problems with the codec becoming unavailable, and it will always work on linux if Windows or Mac change drastically

x264 lossless is supported by nvidia for HW decode. It's about the only lossless codec that is HW accelerated for decode. It's also supported in the Resolve Studio (the paid version) , Premiere Pro. Other lossless YUV codecs tend not to be lossless in NLE's because they are not treated as YUV (get converted to RGB) so there is some quality loss.

NVEnc also supports lossless AVC YUV encoding, but the compression ratio is not as good (although it's typically faster being a HW encode)
    Which mode does Virtualdub2 use for FFV1 capturing?
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    He just told you which one(s) would be lowest.

But I would ask: FOR WHAT PURPOSE?
    Editing?
    Archiving?

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by Cornucopia View Post
    He just told you which one(s) would be lowest.

But I would ask: FOR WHAT PURPOSE?
    Editing?
    Archiving?

Scott
    Jeez cut me some slack I am a beginner. Archiving VHS tapes to keep as a master copy in the highest quality. I plan on bulk converting them to x264 or x265 depending on which my TV can play to copy to a USB for viewing.
    Quote Quote  
  6. I think vdub2's "FFMPEG FFV1 Lossless Codec" uses long gop by default. But I wouldn't use long gop for capturing . There is a "force keyframes every x frames" box where you can configure the interval. The more slices, the better the multithreading, but the worse the compression. There are some more options in the ffmpeg version of FFV1. Certain settings are more ideal for certain situations
    Quote Quote  
  7. My settings for VHS capture that I found out work the best (when looking at compression ratio), other lossless codecs I checked are weaker for tapes like Lagarith, HuffYUV. I do not set keyframe interval.
    Image Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Clipboard09.png
Views:	376
Size:	8.8 KB
ID:	55486  

👉 HackTV (Software Multistandard TV Signal Generator & Multiplexer) - Discord
    👉 Domesday86 Project Gargamel (Software LD/VHS Decoder & TBC) - Discord
    Quote Quote