VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2
1 2 LastLast
Thread
  1. Member
    Search PM
    I am looking to buy a new all-in-one printer. I am thinking if I should get a color ink-jet or a black and white laser. I occasionally print photos, but I think the cost of ink and the need to replace the cartridges every a few months, is not really worth it. I have been using Canon printers for years, but I have had enough of them.
    Quote Quote  
  2. HP has an Instant Ink auto reorder program which I believe saves a few bucks. We never signed up because we don't use that much ink but at the time I thought it was beneficial for heavy ink users. If you print on CDs/DVDs you can't go HP. I believe only Canon & Epson have that function. Good luck.
    Quote Quote  
  3. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    I would go for an all-in-one laser printer,ink dries up if not used much while toner lasts for a long time.
    I think,therefore i am a hamster.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by johns0 View Post
    I would go for an all-in-one laser printer,ink dries up if not used much while toner lasts for a long time.
    This is what I am thinking as at work I have a black and white HP laser printer and its toner lasts for years, but I am not sure if I will not need to print color sometimes.
    Quote Quote  
  5. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Get a color laser printer,i just replaced the toners after 5 years in my color laser printer.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search PM
    Some of the choices I have are SAMSUNG XPRESS SL-C480W and HP COLOR LASERJET PRO MFP M180N T6B70A. Can I use compatible toners with these?
    Quote Quote  
  7. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    I have a Samsung clp-320 color printer and it has no issues using compatible toners i bought from ebay.I would stay away from HP since they load tons of other software not needed.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search PM
    I have a Samsung clp-320 color printer and it has no issues using compatible toners i bought from ebay.I would stay away from HP since they load tons of other software not needed.
    Do you print any photos?
    Quote Quote  
  9. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    I've printed a few photos and the results were very good.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    How about an Epson Inktank printer. About the same price as a laser but way cheaper to run. https://epson.com/For-Home/Printers/Inkjet/Expression-ET-3700-EcoTank-All-in-One-Super...r/p/C11CG21201 . When I get setup in my new house this is what I'll buy,
    Quote Quote  
  11. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    I wouldn't say that printer is way cheaper to run,get a 1000 prints and replace the toners for $60 total and the color laser printer itself is about $150 on sale.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    The best AIO is not to get one at all. Been there, made the mistake already. Those things are crap.

I've printed color photos, that are on my wall, using my Minolta color laser, and these look far superior to inkjet. Minolta isn't made anymore, but my point is that color laser can look outstanding, from the right company, and the right model. Not HP, HOP is overpriced low-quality junk.
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank DiscsBest TBCsBest VCRs for captureRestore VHS
    Quote Quote  
  13. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    I agree with lordsmurf,any AIO is always crap,better to get a good laser printer and a separate scanner,ink will dry up on you and with that much ink in the epson i shudder at the issues.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I just do black and white laser, and then use online companies to do any color printing which then mail it to me. Cheaper for my needs.
    Quote Quote  
  15. Owning and using Brother DCP-L2560DW, all types of interfaces (WLAN, ETH, USB) - can't say anything against this machine, neat, compact, work fine, stable driver. Can be operated with or without PC. Personally i think about buying additional colour laser printer but from second hand market (and less SOHO, more serious office type).
    Never recommends ink type as they require special paper to deliver best results and also on long time line are more expensive...
    Quote Quote  
  16. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Do any of the laser printers print on CDs/DVDs?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    i've never seen a printable cd or dvd that says it's for laser printers. printables have surfaces to absorb liquid ink.
    --
    "a lot of people are better dead" - prisoner KSC2-303
    Quote Quote  
  18. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by aedipuss View Post
    i've never seen a printable cd or dvd that says it's for laser printers. printables have surfaces to absorb liquid ink.
    Thanks.
    Quote Quote  
  19. Member
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by paulw View Post
    How about an Epson Inktank printer. About the same price as a laser but way cheaper to run. https://epson.com/For-Home/Printers/Inkjet/Expression-ET-3700-EcoTank-All-in-One-Super...r/p/C11CG21201 . When I get setup in my new house this is what I'll buy,
    I have been advised to stay away from Epson, because of ink issues.

I agree with lordsmurf,any AIO is always crap,better to get a good laser printer and a separate scanner,ink will dry up on you and with that much ink in the epson i shudder at the issues.
    I need an all-in-one and not a printer. I want to be able to use it as a standalone copier too, so a printer/scanner will not do the job.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    i've had years of good luck with my all-in-one, cd/dvd printing included canon mg7520. no longer made but i saw a newer canon recently on amazon for $70 that looked ok. ts9120 or something.
    --
    Quote Quote  
  21. Member
    Search Comp PM
    [QUOTE=aedipuss;2545819]i've had years of good luck with my all-in-one, cd/dvd printing included canon mg7520. no longer made but i saw a newer canon recently on amazon for $70 that looked ok. ts9120.
    I have that printer also, I am just now trying to figure out how to print on a DVD but that Canon Garden program is a pain in the ass.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    [QUOTE=tarzan54;2545833]
    i've had years of good luck with my all-in-one, cd/dvd printing included canon mg7520. no longer made but i saw a newer canon recently on amazon for $70 that looked ok. ts9120.
    I have that printer also, I am just now trying to figure out how to print on a DVD but that Canon Garden program is a pain in the ass.
    yep luckily photoshop can manage printing on discs if you use a template.
    --
    Quote Quote  
  23. Member
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by paulw View Post
    I have been advised not to get an Epson because of ink getting dry if the printer is not used often. How accurate is this statement and how often would I need to print to avoid such a problem? I don't want to buy an ink tank printer that costs as much as a laser, but I am tempted by the Epson EcoTank L3050 which I found on offer. Does anyone have experience with this?
    Quote Quote  
  24. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    You need to print at least one paper per week,if you don't print for a month+ there's a good chance the ink will dry and clog the nozzles.
    Quote Quote  
  25. Member
    Search PM
    What about a black and white laser? What all-in-one printer would you suggest for home use? I would prefer a duplex printer, but I have seen that they are much more expensive and probably not worth the cost. I have been using an HP at work and never had a problem, but I admit that I usually print less than 100 pages every week.
    Quote Quote  
  26. Originally Posted by kyrcy View Post
    I have been advised to stay away from Epson, because of ink issues.
    Every Epson inkjet I have owned would drain more ink during "cleaning cycles" than on actual printing. I've had a color laser printer for almost five years and have only replaced the black toner cartridge once. Still running on the initial color cartridges. Laser is definitely better for occasional printers like me.
    They that give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty or safety.
    --Benjamin Franklin
    Quote Quote  
  27. Member
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by drjtech View Post
    Every Epson inkjet I have owned would drain more ink during "cleaning cycles" than on actual printing. I've had a color laser printer for almost five years and have only replaced the black toner cartridge once. Still running on the initial color cartridges. Laser is definitely better for occasional printers like me.
    I don't really need to print color documents and I am considering a color printer so I can print photos. I have been told that color laser printers are not really suitable for this task.
    Quote Quote  
  28. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Color laser printers are great for photos,who ever told you they weren't didn't have the right laser printer.
    Quote Quote  
  29. Good to hear that - our office color laser did terrible photos, but that was fifteen years ago. I'll consider one next time. Meanwhile, we have a Brother HL-L5200DW duplexing monochrome laser that cost $150 (Staples) and is still on its 3000-page starter cartridge. (It's our second such printer - we wore out a drum after 25,000 or so pages; it was cheaper to replace the whole printer than buy a new drum.) On those occasions when we want color, we have a $100 (Staples, again) HP OfficeJet Pro 8100 that is quite economical on ink and doesn't misbehave if it sits for several weeks without printing. It does excellent color photos on the appropriate paper.

We've got a $60 all-in-one, primarily for (rare) fax calls, which I would not recommend to anyone. It drinks ink. It can take several minutes to self-test, usually at inconvenient times. That being said, it does a tolerable scan, and is convenient for multi-page documents.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    [QUOTE=aedipuss;2545889]
    Originally Posted by tarzan54 View Post
    i've had years of good luck with my all-in-one, cd/dvd printing included canon mg7520. no longer made but i saw a newer canon recently on amazon for $70 that looked ok. ts9120.
    yep luckily photoshop can manage printing on discs if you use a template.
    I got a few Canon MX922s before they stopped making them. Great all in one with duplex ADF and CD/DVD/Blu-ray printing.

Is there a new model that does that?
    Quote Quote