VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search PM
    I have a Sylvania 32" LCD TV with a built in DVD player. It can't play videos from different regions. I need to know how I can change the region from USA to "All" so that I can play my recently purchased videos from Amazon UK. Thanks.
    Quote Quote  
  2. We can't do much for you if you won't at least give us a model number. But like most combo units, it may not be possible to make it region free.

Then there's the problem of trying to play PAL discs on an NTSC TV. You're probably out of luck.

Now, there is a way to do a PAL to NTSC conversion, which of course requires decrypting/ripping the disc first. You do the conversion and burn to a blank DVD. Like here:

https://forum.videohelp.com/threads/203656-THE-HOLY-GRAIL-A-new-method-of-PAL-to-NTSC-conversion!

Good luck and welcome to the forum.
    Pull! Bang! Darn!
    Quote Quote  
  3. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    And to add to that, just ripping the disc and burning black to DVDR media will remove the "region code", but as fritzi stated, you may then run into format issues, PAL vs. NTSC.

I would try ripping one first and seeing if it plays from DVDR media before doing anything else.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I found the posts for my Sony DVR SR200P player via the DVD hacks section. I used all the techniques mentioned there, but got no response. The instructions said to open the tray, enter a code and then select the region. When I enter the code there is no response from my player. I tried just entering the codes without seeing a menu to "select" the #9 region. Again, the machine didn't even seem to know I was there. Also it says to hit "enter" which I take to mean the button with the arrows on four sides. Otherwise nothing is labeled enter.

Thanks for the site!

Dave Lea
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Yeah, these days I consider region code hacking of hardware (set top) players to be a moot/dead issue. You want to bypass region issues?you hack the media not the device.

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    @Cornucopia - While I kind of agree with you, and this may be true for you in the US, it kinda depends which country you are in.

In this neck of the woods we get terrible service from the studios and authorised distributors viz., the range of product released, the release window and pricing. If you are a film buff who is averse to piracy then importing from other regions (the UK and US for DVD, the US for Blu Ray) is pretty much a must. In which case, you do actually need media kit that can handle multiple region. Thankfully virtually all TVs here support both PAL and NTSC, and multi-free DVD players are still fairly ubiquitous from retailers. Multi-region Blu Ray players can be had, but they are harder to find ("and typically "off brand").

For the average "plug and play" consumer (AKA certain members of my family), it's easier to set them up with the correct kit than to teach them to rip and hack media.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Yes, I should qualify my previous post to limit it to North America and NTSC. But the trend is going in that direction everywhere.

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  8. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by davelea View Post
    I found the posts for my Sony DVR SR200P player via the DVD hacks section.
    You're going to have to go back to the PREVIOUS decade to find ANY Sony player sold in the USA/Canada that could be hacked. If this is an older model, then the hack may no longer work because you updated the firmware and the updates deliberately break the hack. This happens all the time. Or the hack may simply only work on models sold in other parts of the world due to hardware differences between yours and theirs.

Basically these days you shouldn't expect anything sold by Sony or Samsung anywhere in the world to be unlockable. The other manufacturers aren't much better, but Sony and Samsung are the worst. My advice at present is that anybody who wants a region free player needs to buy it from a reseller who has hardware modified the player to be region free at additional cost to your over unlockable standard players sold in stores.
    Quote Quote  
Visit our sponsor! Try DVDFab and backup Blu-rays!