VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi, how do I add chinese subtitles to original DVDs?

By the way, I'm wondering why the chinese-english english-chinese translation for Hollywood movies are so bad! Don't they hire competent translators?

If anyone wants a great movie translated perfectly, I'd be happy to help.

Anyway, I tried using Subtitle Workshop. The chinese characters look fine in that software. When I saved the subtitles as .sub (DVD subtitles), they appear as square boxes in VLC. I've tried using all the chinese-like encoding in VLC, no use. When I save as .srt, it all appears as weird symbols in VLC.

The .sub is attached.

vts_01_1.vob.sub
    Quote Quote  
  2. All I see in that .sub file is this:

{HEAD
    DISCID=
    DVDTITLE=
    CODEPAGE=1250
    FORMAT=ASCII
    LANG=Chinese
    TITLE=1
    ORIGINAL=ORIGINAL
    AUTHOR=
    WEB=
    INFO=
    LICENSE=
    }
    {T 00:08:08:21
    ÎÒ²»ÊÇJerome Morrow
    }
    {T 00:08:12:72

}

Is that what you intended? There are 2 kinds of .sub files, the text based ones (which is what you have, I think), and the image based ones which always come with an .idx file as well. Yours are definitely not DVD subtitles, not with a header like that.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    If you can save in SUP format, you can follow this guide to add them to the DVD:

https://forum.videohelp.com/topic338721.html

Since I cannot read Chinese characters, I can't comment on how bad/good English->Chinese subtitles are. However, Hong Kong movies were infamous in the past for the poor Chinese->English subtitles they had. Studios didn't have much money to pay for subtitling, so they would give a person maybe 1 day to do it and they wouldn't pay very much, so they wouldn't get the best English speakers for the job.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi, that was all really useful. But I hit a problem with Subtitle Creator.

How do I create multi-line (say 2) subtitles? When I set the number of lines to 2, the first line of text I type in goes to the bottom of the subtitle box. Obviously, the 2nd line of text I type in goes outside (and below) the box.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by viewpoint
    Hi, that was all really useful. But I hit a problem with Subtitle Creator.

How do I create multi-line (say 2) subtitles? When I set the number of lines to 2, the first line of text I type in goes to the bottom of the subtitle box. Obviously, the 2nd line of text I type in goes outside (and below) the box.
    All problems resolved in the forum thread pointed to by jman98.

Let it be known that I had successfully created Chinese subtitles. Very neat. Should be possible for any other languages with pictorial characters as well.
    Quote Quote