VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. What is recommended? I have avidemux and handbrake and neither seem to convert to webm. I've tried some online services but they max out at 100mb.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Are you talking about webm container? Mentioned MP4 and MKV? So in avidemux choose copy video copy audio output format Webm muxer. But probably you mean audio and video format. So better ask about h264, h265, aac, ac3 and so on

Bernix
    Quote Quote  
  3. Originally Posted by Bernix View Post
    Are you talking about webm container? Mentioned MP4 and MKV? So in avidemux choose copy video copy audio output format Webm muxer. But probably you mean audio and video format. So better ask about h264, h265, aac, ac3 and so on

Bernix
    I want to convert the entire file(s) from mkv to webm (audio and video). No quality/dimension increase or decrease.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Ok, problem with avidemux is it not supported VP8 VP9 and other video conversion. But I believe KDENlive can export to webm easily. Lots of NLE software export to webm by default.

Edit - The problem is you have video in format that is not supported with webm container. If you have video in vp8 or vp 9 not in h263, h264 or h265 so there is no problem. You need to find software that can export video to VP 8 or 9 and audio to vorbis or opus. Then you can mux it to webm container in avidemux. But good luck with this video codec.
    I wouldn't personaly touch anything to have something common with google with 10 foot long pole....

Bernix
    Last edited by Bernix; 9th Aug 2018 at 14:31. Reason: Edit
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search PM
    Use FFmpeg.
    Code:
    ffmpeg.exe -i myinput.mp4 -c:v libvpx -crf 10 -c:a libvorbis myoutput.webm
    Quote Quote  
  6. Originally Posted by JVRaines View Post
    Use FFmpeg.
    Code:
    Good timing. Just read on the avidemux forums that ffmpeg is suggested for this. Thanks.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Originally Posted by JVRaines View Post
    Use FFmpeg.
    Code:

Hey this just finished and the quality was noticeably reduced. Is there a tweak that will maintain the quality?
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search PM
    You can try a lower number for crf and add a few other options as well. See this page for details. You could also try the VP9 encoder.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Trying this now:

Code:
    ffmpeg -i input.mp4 -c:v libvpx -qmin 0 -crf 5 -b:v 1M -c:a libvorbis output.webm
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search PM
    Better try this, a little slow but great quality (11 fps for a 720p video in a i7-7700HQ running at 2.8 Ghz):
    Code:
    "ffmpeg.exe" -i input.mp4 -c:v libvpx-vp9 -pass 1 -passlogfile logfile -crf 24 -b:v 1000k -minrate 10k -maxrate 4000k -threads 8 -deadline good -cpu-used 4 -tile-columns 0 -frame-parallel 0 -qmax 32 -auto-alt-ref 1 -lag-in-frames 24 -g 240 -aq-mode 0 -an -f null NUL
    "ffmpeg.exe" -i input.mp4 -c:v libvpx-vp9 -pass 2 -passlogfile logfile -crf 24 -b:v 1000k -minrate 10k -maxrate 4000k -row-mt 1 -threads 8 -deadline good -cpu-used 1 -tile-columns 2 -tile-rows 0 -frame-parallel 0 -qmax 32 -auto-alt-ref 1 -lag-in-frames 24 -g 240 -aq-mode 0 -c:a libopus -b:a 96k -ac 2 -f webm "output.webm"
    Quote Quote