VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Rendering out some files ... although they edit & view fine in my editor .... PC seems unable to play them

Tried SPLASH, VLC, MPC
    even followed this guys advice on changing VLC muxing preferences - file does 'run' but no video or audio. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L98CAEcosD8

MediaInfo for the files is attached
    Image Attached Files
    Quote Quote  
  2. Change the extension to .h264. Or mux it into a container like mp4 or mkv.
    Quote Quote  
  3. OK .. changing file extn didn't work, I'll try re-muxing

I noticed that for example mp4 file is 556,092 KB
    same file rendered as Bluray is only 582,974 KB ... not a huge increase in file size, thought it would have been much larger.
    Last edited by Tafflad; 28th Jul 2018 at 10:43.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Transport streams have much more overhead (lots of redundancy for error detection and correction) than mp4 so you expect them to be larger.

And what do you mean when you say players are "unable to play them"? What exactly happens?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Rick,

Your editor is probably playing the source video rather than the rendered one.

And, not that it should make a difference to the playback issue, did you really mean to render for NTSC rather than PAL ?

What is the purpose of the video ? Unless I am mistaken, this is a raw stream and no audio. Mediainfo is not perfect but it does not report a playback time. That itself could explain failure to run. What did you use to render ? Vegas ?
    Quote Quote  
  6. "unable to play them"? What exactly happens? "
    VLC can't open ... does not even show file as an option.
    If I change etxn to h264 as you suggested .. all that 'plays' is a text of teh file name.

"What did you use to render ? Vegas ? "
    Yes ... file in edit is fine renders out happily using SONY Codec AVC/MVC options for MP4 (both audio & video)
    For same edit selection, if I then under same codec choose
    "BluRay 1920 x 1080-60i, 16Mbps" it renders out as an AVC file with mediainfo details I posted

There is no change to settings so it should be both audio & video, however just realised the Sony codec only gives BluRay video stream ... (no Audio) so that part of question answered.

"did you really mean to render for NTSC rather than PAL ?"

I understood there is no concept of NTSC or PAL for Blu-Ray ...? just looked up on Wikipedia and it says all Blu-Ray discs are 1080p .... so maybe using any Blu-Ray format other than 1080p is pointless anyway.

I have also rendered out a few variants to test:
    "BluRay 1920 x 1080-60i, 16Mbps" - doesn't play
    "BluRay 1920 x 1080-60i, 10Mbps" - doesn't play
    "BluRay 1920 x 1080-50i, 16Mbps" - plays but interlaced image
    "BluRay 1920 x 1080-50i, 10Mbps" - plays but interlaced image
    "BluRay 1920 x 1080-24p, 16Mbps" - plays
    "BluRay 1920 x 1080-24p, 10Mbps" - plays

AVCHD 1920 x 1080 50i - Plays audio & Video
    AVCHD 1920 x 1080 60i - Plays audio & Video

So it is borne out (maybe) only 1080p on BluRay is playable.

Comparatively looking at them .... AVCHD and MP4 are smoother playback than Blu-Ray video, this could be hardware on PC but it is a high quality video card & monitor.

File sizes also interesting ... AVCHD being larger than BluRay, MP4 being about midway between the 2
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Whilst there is no concept of NTSC and PAL for BD I thought that only applied when the video is 24p. Here mediainfo reports 29.97 which is NTSC speed. Was that intended ?

60i and 50i is not part of the bluray spec AFAIK

There are a few arguementative topics about this. But 60/50i is actually AVCHD and this bears out in your tests above.
    Quote Quote  
  8. In Vegas 60i and 50i are really just new names for 30i and 25i. Some marketing genius started calling them by the new name to gain an "advantage" over others. Now all companies use the new name. And both are included in the original Blu-ray spec.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Not sure where this leads though
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Methinks what jagabo is saying that despite selecting 60i, Sony actually renders it as 30i which goes some way to explain why mediainfo reports 29.97 fps.

The non-playback could simply be that the Sony Codec is quirky. I guess you used something else for the other renders.

If this really bothers you then I would suggest that you upload a short sample rendered in exactly the same way as the original video.

I would still ask that you confirm your source as you sure would not want to be rendering 25/50 fps video as 30/60 fps.
    Quote Quote  
  11. No ... used same codec for everyone of the renders.
    I can work with AVCHD or MP4 .... just trying to understand why Blu-Ray won’t play.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Well it's anyone's guess.

Maybe the raw stream is only applicable for bespoke BD authoring. did you try that ?

Otherwise a sample might throw some light on the issue.

Rick. you still have not addressed my concerns about source >> target. I recall in another topic that you stated that you now have a HD camera. I do not recall what your settings, if you ever mentioned them, were.
    Quote Quote  
  13. I do indeed ( well remembeted)
    After advice here .. as most of video is action shots ... not using 4K, but HD
    Using 1920 x 1080 60p. 28Mbps MP4
    Could also use 1920 x 1080 50p. AVCHD

Sony advise to use MP4 for internet sharing, and AVCHD for use on a TV
    Last edited by Tafflad; 29th Jul 2018 at 10:02.
    Quote Quote  
  14. Blu-ray players aren't required to play anything other than authored Blu-ray discs and authored DVDs. Anything beyond that is at the discretion of the manufacturers. Sony, being a big content producer, does everything it can to prevent you from playing pirated content. They have to be dragged into supporting videos by the rest of the industry lest they fall too far behind the competition. So they typically have the worst support of various video formats.
    Quote Quote