VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I have both the old Subtitle Workshop and the beta 6.0b version. Naturally neither of them will recognize MP4 files.

I also have ffdshow installed.

What is the absolute LEAST intrusive way to get Subtitle Workshop to load MP4 files?

I don't want to install a codec "pack" because most everything else related to video already works fine for me. I don't want to overwrite things that I already have installed and/or have it change my settings such that other software stops working.

Is there any way to use just ffdshow and/or maybe a single program install to get Subtitle Workshop to load MP4 files?
    Quote Quote  
  2. ffdshow is old. install lav filters and subtitle workshop will woek..
    Quote Quote  
  3. Originally Posted by teodz1984 View Post
    ffdshow is old. install lav filters and subtitle workshop will woek..
    I have an old computer. Lav filters won't work for me. (Cue "Your computer is garbage, go buy a new one" arguments)

Despite being old, isn't allowing programs to play various formats without having to have hard-coded support for them, one of the very things that ffdshow was designed for? Can't I make it do what it was designed to do?
    Quote Quote  
  4. LAVFilters-0.70.2-16 is the last version with support for Windows XP SP3.
    Quote Quote  
  5. In addition to the decoders for what's in your MP4 files you need an MP4 reader (so that Windows knows MP4 is an A/V file) and an MP4 splitter (so that Windows can split the audio and video into separate streams for playback). LAV includes all of that. ffdshow only includes the codecs (and you many need to enable them).
    Quote Quote  
  6. Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    In addition to the decoders for what's in your MP4 files you need an MP4 reader (so that Windows knows MP4 is an A/V file) and an MP4 splitter (so that Windows can split the audio and video into separate streams for playback). LAV includes all of that. ffdshow only includes the codecs (and you many need to enable them).
    I have Haali Media Splitter installed, although it doesn't seem to be used. It's been so long, I'm not sure what options I selected when installing it.

MPC-HC seems to have it's own internal splitter. If I uncheck MP4/MOV in the internal filters, MPC-HC tells me that it's using "Nero Digital Parser" when I open an MP4 file.

Running GSpot tells me that Haali is present, although the merit is set to "unlikely". Even changing that to "preferred" and changing the Nero settings to "Do not use" doesn't make a difference. Nero still gets used when MPC's own splitter is disabled.

Regardless, it shows that I have a working external splitter for MP4 files, so shouldn't Subtitle Workshop be using it?

Also, h264 is set to libavcodec in ffdshow, raw video is set to All supported (I also tried YV12 as recommended on some sites) and Subtitle Workshop listed in the programs that it should be used for,

So I have a working splitter for MP4 files, a working decoder for h264 video, a working decoder for the audio, but SW still refuses to open the files.

Any ideas?
    Quote Quote  
  7. Therea are two separate A/V subsystems in Windows, VFW and Directshow. In addition, if you have 64 bit Windows there are separate 32 bit and 64 bit systems for each of those. So four separate A/V subsystems. I believe Subtitle Workshop is only available in a 32 bit version. But I don't now if it uses VFW or DirectShow. Given its ancient roots I suspect VFW.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    Therea are two separate A/V subsystems in Windows, VFW and Directshow. In addition, if you have 64 bit Windows there are separate 32 bit and 64 bit systems for each of those. So four separate A/V subsystems. I believe Subtitle Workshop is only available in a 32 bit version. But I don't now if it uses VFW or DirectShow. Given its ancient roots I suspect VFW.
    I have 32-bit windows.

How can I check if VFW is being used? And/or how can I make sure that VFW MP4 is functional?

I mean, it may be an ancient program, but MP4 has been around for quite a while so it seems like there should an equally ancient solution to this problem. The only thing I can see related to VFW in ffdshow seems to be only for encoding, not decoding. I don't se anything in Haali about VFW.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Originally Posted by Rekrul View Post
    The only thing I can see related to VFW in ffdshow seems to be only for encoding, not decoding. I don't se anything in Haali about VFW.
    First go to Start -> All Programs -> ffdshow -> VFW Configuration. Go to the Decoder tab and make sure the codecs you need are enabled:

[Attachment 50682 - Click to enlarge]

But you still need to have an MP4 reader/splitter. Haali should have installed one (maybe you didn't select it when you installed Haali?). If not, the older LAV Filters (with XP support) should install one.
    Quote Quote  
  10. DECEASED
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Rekrul View Post
    Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    In addition to the decoders for what's in your MP4 files you need an MP4 reader (so that Windows knows MP4 is an A/V file) and an MP4 splitter (so that Windows can split the audio and video into separate streams for playback). LAV includes all of that. ffdshow only includes the codecs (and you many need to enable them).
    I have Haali Media Splitter installed, although it doesn't seem to be used. It's been so long, I'm not sure what options I selected when installing it.

MPC-HC seems to have it's own internal splitter. If I uncheck MP4/MOV in the internal filters, MPC-HC tells me that it's using "Nero Digital Parser" when I open an MP4 file.

Running GSpot tells me that Haali is present, although the merit is set to "unlikely". Even changing that to "preferred" and changing the Nero settings to "Do not use" doesn't make a difference. Nero still gets used when MPC's own splitter is disabled.

Regardless, it shows that I have a working external splitter for MP4 files, so shouldn't Subtitle Workshop be using it?

Also, h264 is set to libavcodec in ffdshow, raw video is set to All supported (I also tried YV12 as recommended on some sites) and Subtitle Workshop listed in the programs that it should be used for,

So I have a working splitter for MP4 files, a working decoder for h264 video, a working decoder for the audio, but SW still refuses to open the files.

Any ideas?
    Yes, download a good uninstaller and get rid of Nero.
    "Programmers are human-shaped machines that transform alcohol into bugs."
    Quote Quote  
  11. Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    But you still need to have an MP4 reader/splitter. Haali should have installed one (maybe you didn't select it when you installed Haali?). If not, the older LAV Filters (with XP support) should install one.
    Thank you for the reply. I'll look into re-installing Haali and/or checking out the older LAV Filters. In the mean time, I've found a work-around. Re-muxing the files into MKV is fast and Subtitle Workshop will open them. I guess maybe I didn't tell Haali to install an MP4 splitter. It's been so long, I really don't remember what options I used.

Originally Posted by El Heggunte View Post
    Yes, download a good uninstaller and get rid of Nero.
    I happen to like Nero. Well, the burning portion of it. I use Nero 6, which is the last version before they really started to add bloat to it. For me, it's more intuitive to use than other programs I've tried.
    Quote Quote