VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I downloaded and installed VirtualDub 1.911 and Huffyuv 2.1.1 on my Windows 10 pro 64-bit system. I captured short test videos and that seemed to work ok. But when I exit the capture mode and try to open the file VirtualDub crashes immediately. I attached an image of the popup that comes up after the crash. I tried this several times with the same result. Has anyone experienced this and found a solution?
    By the way, the same thing occurs when I try using Logarith but when I tried UtVideo everything worked ok. I have attached the popup when the program crashes when using huffyuv.
    Image Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Crash.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	39.8 KB
ID:	48437  

Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Try the 32 bit version of Virtualdub2
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks for the suggestion. I tried VirtualDub2 and observed the following. I have VirtualDub capture set for NTSC_M, YUY2, 720x480.

1) Using huffyuv for capture seemed to work as before but I now get the popup message "FFMPEG: Decoder error" when trying to load the file after capture.
    2) Using lagarith I wasn't able to even capture and got the following error message (attached).

Any ideas?
    Image Attached Images  
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Can you provide a few seconds of your capture, I'd like to test it
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I have attached a short clip using huffyuv. I don't understand why it would generate an ffmpeg error when it has nothing to do with it. I tried playing the clip in VLC and only got the audio portion with the message codec not supported displayed.
    Image Attached Files
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    It seems Virtualdub2 can open it if you set the input file driver (files of type) appropriately:

Name:	hfy.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	187.9 KB
ID:	48456  

Quote Quote  
  7. DECEASED
    Search Comp PM
    Apparently the captured video is (very) malformed.

Both MPC-HC and mpv are unable to play it.

VirtualDub 1.10.4 sometimes opens it, sometimes it crashes while trying

Not sure if the problem is the uncommon frame dimensions (702 x 472), or the fact that your OS is Windows 10, or both things
    Last edited by El Heggunte; 18th Mar 2019 at 19:53. Reason: disambiguation
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    davexnet,
    That is very strange that the file type selection does not even match the avi extension file type and you need to type it in by hand.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search PM
    Are you using the 32-bit version of VirtualDub with the 32-bit HuffYUV? Did you install the codec following these instructions?
    Quote Quote  
  10. DECEASED
    Search Comp PM
    MAYBE the OP has installed the "normal" huffyuv.dll and he should be using the patched huffyuv.dll instead

I mean, HuffYUV 2.1.1 - CCESP Patch v0.2.5, which is not the one offered by Videohelp

Also:

I have VirtualDub capture set for NTSC_M, YUY2, 720x480
    Then why the devil MediaInfo says the sample file is 702 x 472
    Last edited by El Heggunte; 18th Mar 2019 at 21:10. Reason: clarity
    Quote Quote  
  11. DECEASED
    Search Comp PM
    UPDATE

I managed to play the dämn b0rked file in GraphStudio by using ffdshow as decoder.

But more importantly, this is the warning given by MPlayer:

Code:
    [huffyuv @ 000000000161bb80]width must be a multiple of 4 for this combination of colorspace and predictor type.
    In other words, the huffyuv VfW dll can create broken streams but is unable to play them.
    Last edited by El Heggunte; 18th Mar 2019 at 21:59. Reason: edit
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search Comp PM
    As I stated in my original post I started by using VirtualDub 1.9.11 32-bit and huffyuv 2.1.1 with the CCESP Patch v0.2.5. I got these from the DigitalFAQ website. I installed huffyuv following the instructions on that site using a cmd window. On my second try I installed The VirtualDub 2 (see attached version). I am thinking about uninstalling the huffyuv version and reinstalling one without the patch or an earlier version.

Name:	VDub version.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	23.5 KB
ID:	48460  

Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Search Comp PM
    As I also stated before the capture settings were set to NTSC_M, YUY2, 720x480. But, when I created the capture I used the crop setting to eliminate the noise from the VHS tape. That is probably why it comes up as 702 x 472 instead of 720 x 480. I am going to try capturing with the crop disabled to see if this is possibly what huffyuv doesn't like.
    Quote Quote  
  14. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by jbur View Post
    As I also stated before the capture settings were set to NTSC_M, YUY2, 720x480. But, when I created the capture I used the crop setting to eliminate the noise from the VHS tape. That is probably why it comes up as 702 x 472 instead of 720 x 480. I am going to try capturing with the crop disabled to see if this is possibly what huffyuv doesn't like.
    Yes, also if you do crop, width should be multiple of four - as was mentioned earlier
    Quote Quote  
  15. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I tried again without cropping and with cropping (multiple of 4) and I was able to load the file after capture. I was under the impression that the frame size had to be a multiple of 2. I wish I would have gotten an error message like that given in MPlayer. Thanks all for your help in this matter.
    Quote Quote  
  16. The original huffyuv v2.1.1 and the decoder built into VirtualDub have no problems with mod2 frame sizes. It's likely you're using different versions of huffyuv, one to compress, another to decompress. There are several variations of huffyuv that are not compatible with each other.

Remember, there are VFW and DirectShow codes under Windows. And then there the 32 bit and 64 bit subsystems under 64 bit Windows. Each system is separate so that's four different possible HuffYUV codecs. On top of that programs can have their own built in decoders. So there are many possible of causes for incompatibility.
    Last edited by jagabo; 19th Mar 2019 at 15:30.
    Quote Quote  
  17. DECEASED
    Search Comp PM
    I was under the impression that the frame size had to be a multiple of 2.
    Perhaps because you are capturing INTERLACED video
    I am not an expert, maybe I'm wrong, this is just my wild guess.

I wish I would have gotten an error message like that given in MPlayer. Thanks all for your help in this matter.
    Not an error message, but the idea had already been presented to you

Originally Posted by El Heggunte View Post
    Apparently the captured video is (very) malformed.
    Not sure if the problem is the uncommon frame dimensions (702 x 472)
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I tried again without cropping and with cropping (multiple of 4) and I was able to load the file after capture. I was under the impression that the frame size had to be a multiple of 2. I wish I would have gotten an error message like that given in MPlayer. Thanks all for your help in this matter.
    try to stick with multiples of 8. even 4 isn't always usable.
    --
    "a lot of people are better dead" - prisoner KSC2-303
    Quote Quote  
  19. Originally Posted by El Heggunte View Post
    I was under the impression that the frame size had to be a multiple of 2.
    Perhaps because you are capturing INTERLACED video
    HuffYUV works on YUV 4:2:2 (and RGB 4:4:4) video. YUV 4:2:2 has chroma at half the width of the luma, but at the same height as the luma. This means that the width of the frame must be a multiple of 2 (mod2). But the height can be any whole number (mod1), even odd values. Huffyuv v2.1.1 has no problem with mod2 widths and mod1 heights. I don't know about other huffyuv codecs.

Problems can arise downstream if an editor/encoder/player converts YUY2 to YUV 4:2:0. In those cases it may need mod2 heights for progressive YUV 4:2:0 or mod4 heights for interlaced YUV 4:2:0.
    Quote Quote