VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    why after so many years as the backbone of internet fileservers is a stand alone linux machine incapable of decent local networking on a mixed network??? my main win7 encoding box went down do to dubious errors recently and i tried hard to convert everything to linux. other than that video editing software that is still pay big bucks all over again, for barely usable stuff, compared to windows(i own vegas pro and pp), almost all was good. except local networking. it sucks on linux. i have many TBs of data on NAS boxes and other computers on the local network i need instant access to. linux flavors of mint, ubunto, fedora, and a couple others i tried all failed miserably.
    --
    "a lot of people are better dead" - prisoner KSC2-303
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    that seems to show how to write your own config file for the machine it's on. i don't see how to write a config to add networked devices to the file explorer so they show up in network places. how to join a named windows workgroup with a linux machine still eludes me. given enough steps i could access a fileserver once, but using it and closing the file explorer would lose the connection and the next time i would have to start all over. i never did find any of my network printers or scanners that are connected to nas boxes in linux...
    --
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    thanks!
    --
    Quote Quote  
  4. Enable SMB 1.0.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    as far as i can tell smb 1.0 is gone from samba and can't be used?

note that Samba version 4.11 removes SMB1 protocol version by default. However, on an older Linux and Unix distro you need to disable it manually to avoid security issues.

--
    Quote Quote